How often to change

YetiLooper

Reaction score
Handicap
I've had the same driver for the last 2 years. I'm not one always in search of the magic elixir, but I do like to keep my gear relatively up to date. I am wondering what most of you consider to be a fairly reasonable amount of time to play a specific piece of equipment between upgrades to newer releases. Maybe rate Driver, woods/hybrids, irons, wedges... putters imo are too personal to rate.

I don't have a set time for anything except maybe wedges. I like to replace them when worn. My current set of wedges will be retired this year after 2 seasons of play.

Everything else in my bag performs well enough that I'm not that intrigued to switch right now. I have to see noticeable improvement to spend money on something.

Whenever you want to. Everyone is different, pull the trigger when YOU feel comfortable with it.

Whenever something catches my eye and the feel and performance is equally amazing I'll change. It's got to have a profound effect on my game though. I normally have to demo extensively before I swap out anything in the bag.

When you find something that is better for you by a wide enough margin to make you happy.

I think whatever is going to make you the most confident standing on the tee box and within your budget is the right driver. But if you are finding fairways at a reasonable distance for your swing speed, why change?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Like others have said, pretty much whenever you like. If you want to stay up on the most recent technology, I'd say make sure your driver, fairways/hybrids, and irons are no older than 5 years old by release date - with driver I may even knock that back to 3 years, as lots of technology tends to happen in that slot. Maybe push that to 10 years with more "players" type irons and wedges, as that area is slower to adopt technology. And if you play a milled putter with a close to traditional shape, you can pretty much hold onto that sucker indefinitely cause that tech ain't changing much.

As for when I actually switch? Much more often, because I love shiny and I'm a club ho haha. I do tend to hang onto hybrids and wedges though, I've had both for around 2 seasons now. Wedges are starting to get worn, it may be time on those after this season.

I fully intend on buying a new driver or two every year. Sometimes I see gains, sometimes I just want something new and shiny. Sometimes a shaft switch is sufficient.

basically what Jman said but in a different way:

I play what I have until I no longer feel comfortable playing what I have...

I just upgraded my gear last year then was fortunate enough to win a new set of irons that I complemented equipment around. I have no intention of changing it out because it works for me.

If i am lucky to win gear or do forum testing it gets a comprehensive comparison to my current gear and if it outperforms the current stuff it has a spot in my bag

No set time for me with the driver. I do swap out my wedges every 2 or 3 years.
I'm not one that has to have the newest and shiniest driver on the market.

I dont have a set time to replace especially with driver. I bought 4 (one just to mess with) this year, won another. Wedges usually once a year two years max. Irons will be whenever I want something new and shiny.

I'm one of these guys that keep clubs a long time if they are working for me...I have 5 drivers that have all worked for me in the past..but I still look for a driver and if one test better then I buy it.. actually I thinking about a Callaway Big Bertha 2014....Irons I have 5 sets that I hit well...I don't look for irons last set I purchased was Titleist AP's 710's. I've had a tough time finding rescues still haven't found ones I really like playing some old taylormade dual's...Fairways I keep they are about 8 years old but they work...Putters I have a ton but Pings I'm partial to and Scotties. Why buy if clubs work for you unless something proves to be better

Whenever you want to. Everyone is different, pull the trigger when YOU feel comfortable with it.

I agree. I play with low handicap guys that have had the same clubs for years, and some that have just bought new ones this year. No right, no wrong. For me, there has to be something to gain.

I'm currently gaming the new Callaway GGB on the course for a week to do a side by side with my XR driver. Time will tell if I feel it is worth the change after only 5 months.

Also what I have currently is an amazing setup for me with nothing in the bag older than 2012. Took about 6 months of extensive research, demo and actual course time to acquire what I think is a quality set that I can't see changing anytime soon. The only exception is my Rbz stage 2 FW which I like but don't love. Everything else from the Cleveland SL 290 driver to the Adams TL hybo, MD irons, Ping wedges and my Scotty squareback is really staying put for at least another 5 years. I might swap the driver out and the FW as mentioned but the rest won't be going anywhere any time soon. Every time I ponder something else the thought goes away as soon as I play my next round and fall back in love all over again with my gear. I am looking at the TEE E8 FW though to replace the rbz.

I'll keep my Ping G25 until the head falls off. I've only had it one golfing season however with some recent modifications, I am hitting the ball straighter and longer than I ever have. Well at least within the last 10 years.

For me it is almost a case of chasing the Holy Grail... I will hit a driver that feels great, I get used to it, and then always look for something that can make me a better player. I found that I can mess with clubheads all day long, but my fittings and research always lead me back to a Black Tie 6M3. Just like flicking a lightswitch, it changes how I hit a driver dramatically. Can hit other shafts longer, but it is just the best combo of length and performance for me. That said, my DBD 815 has been incredible compared to the R1 that got stolen this year...

Over the last 3 years it was a new driver every year...now I am going to TRY and stay with a new driver every other season...

Irons I upgraded to the Apexs after about 5 years - wedges were upgraded after 4. Putter I have had for over 10, Hybrid about 3...

For me it's usually 2 or 3 years. I feel like that's about when I can see a significant performance difference between what I'm playing and a new one.

I'm currently playing a Razr-Fit from 2012 that's just been awesome for me but I went to a TM demo day about 6 weeks ago and the flightscope showed a 25-30 yard carry difference between it and the R-15. Been waiting for the price to go down so I can afford a fitting - should be perfect timing around October 9th :clap:

I am playing an older driver and getting back into the game. I expect that I will get a new driver this winter and then play that for many seasons. Marketing, hype, and gear-geek lust aside, I don't think the year over year iterations add significantly to real-world performance. For example, testing many off-the-shelf (not fitted) drivers, my old 2007-8 Cleveland Hibore is not far behind anything current (distance and forgiveness). Improving my ball striking and mental game will have far more improvement to my game than a new driver. But I still want one.

Most of my stuff is every 1-3 years. I will keep a set of irons for a while (5+ years) as I am just really comfortable with my current irons.

I bought all new clubs when the burner 2s came out. I've since changed out things but almost all of it has been second hand. I am at where I want to upgrade now though really. I think it's really up to the individual when you are comfortable with changing. No wrong or right answer really.

Why change? When i was a kid we used persimmons until the varnish wore off, then we varnished them again. And we hit the call until the cover wore off. None of this wimpy "if it is scratched throw it out." Get off my lawn!

Okay, more seriously...depends on what you want from your game. For me, the people I play with seldom know what my actual score is. I keep it on Golfpad, don't really care what the other guys score, real or the imaginary one he writes down, is. I don't play for money, I don't really compete against the others...for me, it is just a measure of how I played that day. I know who I am as a golfer, love the clubs I got this year and probably will not get a new driver or replace any club I have for many years as i don't really do tournaments or leagues.

Having played with you, I know you are a much better golfer than I and I could see you playing in leagues/tournaments/etc. I think for you it makes sense to have up to date, technologically advanced equipment to maximize your opportunity for a low score. For me the difference between my driver I have now and whatever is available in 5 years might be 2 yards more towards whatever that short grass in the center i never venture into is called...for you it might be 5 or 10 extra yards and there is value in that in competitive play.

Ohh stop I'm blushing!

When you find something that is better for you by a wide enough margin to make you happy.
+1. For me, this is true for every club. I like getting new stuff, but a new club still needs to perform. For driver, it seems I'm good for this decade, probably forever (sadly): Trackman tells you how far you could possible hit a drive, given your swing speed and the conditions. In my latest fitting session, my best drives using my three year old driver were one or two yards longer than the theoretical maximum, using range balls. :-o Apparently, my current driver is so good for my swing that until R&A releases the driver regulations or I find significant amount of additional swing speed, I can’t expect to find a better club. And given the age of both organizations, either is very unlikely to happen. The demo sessions this year have confirmed this.

Back