Gap Wedge... enlighten me

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently only carry two wedges: a 45 degree Ping G25 PW and an old knock off 54 degree SW.

Carry distances w/ a full swing - PW = 120, SW = 100... leaves a bit of a gap for the 105-115 shots that I currently cover either by choking up or taking a 3/4 swing with the PW.

I know everyone's swing is different and there's no right answer here so I'm just interested in some input from other players.

Have you found a gap wedge (say, a 50 degree in this case for me) to be the answer OR is have you had just as much luck controlling distance w/ the PW?

Thanks THP...

a gap wedge will help you for these shots I think. the good news, is you still have room for two clubs according to your WITB signature.

I love having a GW. I prefer to hit a full swing whenever possible, so this makes it less likely that I will have to manipulate distances on this shot.

If you are able to do it consistently and would prefer to have a different club somewhere else in the bag, then keep doing what you are doing.

I carry a GW and it is one of my favorite clubs in my bag.

A set gap wedge is the best thing ever. I much prefer taking a full swing rather than a partial shot that would need an adjustment for 20 yards.

I find it much easier and more consistent to go with my normal full swing with my gap wedge versus trying to force a partial shot with another club that involves a bunch of guess work (adjusting stance, gripping down, partial swing, etc...).

I was able to play a PW and then a 56* wedge for a while, but it caught up to me after a while, as I started getting shots that fell in the exact yardage where I either had to really manipulate my PW or swing out of my shows with the 56 and it led to trouble. I now have a 52 and it fits that yardage perfectly, as well as allows me to hit lower shots to the green as well as more run on chips.

I have a set gap wedge and I love it. Definitely recommend going that route whenever possible. It just makes it easy for full swing shots IMO.

I carry a 50, 54 & 58 in addition to my PW. Would not consider going back to my old set-up for pretty much all of the reasons given above. It does leave some gaps with the longer clubs but the truth is if I have a long carry to the green on a par 5 I'm generally way better off hitting 2-wedges in some combination of the three than I am trying to get there with a hybrid or FW.

Another vote for a gap wedge, double vote for a set gap wedge! At the bottom of my bag, I am all about having tidy yardage gaps. I go from a 50* to a 54* and 58*, for me that covers things nicely with a full swing.

I love my gap wedge. And it's a set wedge.

It's great for approach shots, and I use it a lot for chipping. I may use a 50* more than a set wedge for pitch shots. But I typically use a 54 or 58 on pitches anyway.

a 50 degree gap wedge has been good for me but my gap between PW and 54 wedge is much larger than yours. I'd kill to hit a 54 wedge 100 yards

I use a 50* with the shame shaft as my irons and treat it as a Gap filler between irons and wedges, love it usually my 130 yd club

G wedge - I use it. Probably should get the set gap wedge, but I did not. I have a gap wedge that matches my other wedges.

I carry 4 wedges, pw, 52, 56, 58 degree. I know most experts say 4 degrees of separation, but this setup has worked well for me.
I prefer the full swing shots, so when I am in between yardages, I choke down on the clubs to find the right distance.

I take full swings with my gap wedge and it leaves me with a minor gap between pw and SW but I usually can cover that with the choking down on pw 1/4-1/2"

I have a PW, 52, 58 setup. I'll use the PW for anything inside 130 yards that I don't have to flop. The 52 and 58 only come out when I need to hit over something, in a trap or want less roll out.

That's exactly what I use my GW for. Covers the gap between PW & SW, about 30-35 yards. Also use it around the green as a chipping option, though the AW with the Speedblades doesn't really agree with me there, so I generally go PW or SW depending right now. In my last set, my gap wedge was a highly used club.

I'm currently gaming 5 wedges. My PW, AW & SW match my irons and have 5 degree gaps and I use these mainly for full shots which is the reason I like them to match my irons. I also carry a 56 & 58 degree. Not a lot of difference gap wise, but I use each for different less than full swing shots, plus I have the room for 5 wedges, so this works for me and the course's I play.

Actually I use the gap 50* wedge as my PW... For many years I played irons that had 50* PW's I no longer play a 3 iron so this works for me...

Use mine quite often for 110 - 120 yard shots. I go 130 on my PW and 105 max on my 54* SW. The GW definitely fills the gap quite nicely. You may also want to look to adding a higher lofted, 58* perhaps, for your 14th club.

GW - I use it a lot. I can hit a fat GW for 30 yd shots or a solid one for about 100 yds.

My set only goes to PW so I went with a 50*, 54* and 58* setup. It covers my gaps and gives me a ton of options for different types of shots 100 yards and in.

5150, your gap between your PW and 54* isn't too, too bad and you can probably work with that by backing off on the PW like you have been doing. My gap between my PW and 54* is about 30 yards so a 50* "gap" or "A" wedge works out best for me.

Back