Gap Wedge... enlighten me

I play set wedges at 46° (PW) - 50° (AW) - 55° (SW) and they gap distances just about perfect for me.

I carry a G25 gap wedge and use it a couple of times each round - I find it pretty versatile. I also carry the G25 LW which I don't use all that often. I could probably live without the LW.

My Gap Wedge (Cleveland labels it as DW - dual wedge IIRC) is the most consistent club in my bag.

Another vote for a gap wedge, double vote for a set gap wedge! At the bottom of my bag, I am all about having tidy yardage gaps. I go from a 50* to a 54* and 58*, for me that covers things nicely with a full swing.

Agree. For me, my gap wedge must be part of the set, designed to have the same feel as my other full swing clubs. Although I use it for much of my shorter play, I depend on it for full shots from about 100 yards (no comments - I know that's short compared to most guys these days, but that's how far I hit it).

I take full swings with my gap wedge and it leaves me with a minor gap between pw and SW but I usually can cover that with the choking down on pw 1/4-1/2"

Gap wedge is supposed to fill the gap between the PW and SW. My PW is 43° and my SW is 54°. GW is 49°

I currently only carry two wedges: a 45 degree Ping G25 PW and an old knock off 54 degree SW.

Carry distances w/ a full swing - PW = 120, SW = 100... leaves a bit of a gap for the 105-115 shots that I currently cover either by choking up or taking a 3/4 swing with the PW.

I know everyone's swing is different and there's no right answer here so I'm just interested in some input from other players.

Have you found a gap wedge (say, a 50 degree in this case for me) to be the answer OR is have you had just as much luck controlling distance w/ the PW?

Thanks THP...

as been mentioned a GW is meant to fill the gap that has been created between the SW and the PW due to the decreased lofts of today clubs hitting longer. The public desire for distance (which sells) has simply caused the manufacturers to decrease lofts in order to say they have the longest clubs. I know there are other tech advancements as well but basically todays PW is close to yesterdays 9iron. But the SW still needed to stay put and so the GW was born and is also why its already in many new sets. My cobra amp irons set just follows suit with the irons and goes accordingly 9i,pw,gw,sw

My 50° aw or gap is one of my favorite clubs!

When I added a gap wedge, my score improved about 5 strokes. Went from a low 90s guy to mid- to high-80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my set's gap wedge and view it as a natural progression of the set rather than some oddball I needed to find a reason to squeeze into the bag.

Aside from being my goto stick in the 115-125 range, I found yesterday it was an excellent choice for launching black walnuts out of the yard.

I think I'm sold on picking up a set GW and maybe a set SW while I'm at it.

After reading this thread I played 36 holes yesterday (shot 94 and 94... at least I'm consistent) and kept track of occasions where I was between 100 and 120. 6 different times I had that shot in front of me and had to choose between nuking a SW or playing a choked up or 75% PW. I missed the green all 6 times.

I used to just carry a pitching wedge and a sand wedge... for a long time. About 5 years ago, I picked up a new set of wedges and I haven't looked back.

My iron set (TaylorMade Burner 2.0) came with a pitching wedge and an approach wedge (I call it my a--hole wedge because I don't think I've ever made a good swing with it). The pitching wedge is 45* and the approach wedge is 50*. I tend to carry the PW about 115 and the AW about 105. I also have a 52* TaylorMade RAC wedge that I carry about 90 and a matching 56* that I carry about 75.

Because I don't hit the approach wedge well, I try to avoid that 100 yard distance if at all possible. But, if I do find myself in that range, I'll still hit that rather than trying to choke down on a pitching wedge because that'll almost always have me 10 yards or more short.

Anyway... I absolutely love my gap wedge. It's one of my favorite clubs and I can use it for shots anywhere inside that 90 yard distance.

Ordered a G25 UW and SW to match my set of irons. Thanks for the input everyone!

Roger Cleveland was asked this very question this weekend and his answer for those shots were to grab the PW and choke down 2 inches and give it a full swing

Is a gap wedge and an approach wedge the same thing?

Is a gap wedge and an approach wedge the same thing?

Yeah. Different manufacturers call them different names. Gap wedge, approach/attack wedge, utility wedge.

I currently only carry two wedges: a 45 degree Ping G25 PW and an old knock off 54 degree SW.

Carry distances w/ a full swing - PW = 120, SW = 100... leaves a bit of a gap for the 105-115 shots that I currently cover either by choking up or taking a 3/4 swing with the PW.

I know everyone's swing is different and there's no right answer here so I'm just interested in some input from other players.

Have you found a gap wedge (say, a 50 degree in this case for me) to be the answer OR is have you had just as much luck controlling distance w/ the PW?

Thanks THP...

Your distances are very similiar to my own.

My PW is 45 degrees and it hit it about 120 to 125
My SW is 56 and I hit it around 100 to 105

I carry a 50 degree wedge that I use for anything in between those distances. If I hit a full shot with it, I get around 115 yards.

I love my gap wedge. It's not part of my iron set though, and I'm glad. My previous set of irons (Callaway Razr X) had a set sand wedge and it was so big and chunky that I just couldn't hit it; it felt like I'd blade it every time I tried to open the face at all. I know it was just mental but that's all it takes.

My current PW is 46 degrees and carries 135-140, and my 50 degree gap wedge carries 125. But because it's a smaller thinner head, I feel much more comfortable opening the face a bit to hit a fade that doesn't go quite as far and using it out of bunkers or around the green.

Back