Half wedges out if the rough

Rusty Dave

#staffproto
Reaction score
Handicap
I noticed yesterday that my half wedge shots out of the rough fall very short of my normal distance on the short grass.
I'm curious to know if this is normal and the possible reasons for this? Is it lack of compression, grass between the club and ball. I'm curious.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could be a variety of things. All of what you have mentioned. It depends how deep the rough you are playing out of. Most courses don't have really penalizing rough. I don't change anything on my half wedges out of the rough. I just make sure I'm accelerating through impact. To me this is key on all half wedge shots. Accelerate, accelerate, accelerate

Could be hitting high on the face. Ball not being compressed as much. Lot's of different factors. What Hox said about accelerating is usually one of the problems though. We always seem to hold back a bit.

Could be hitting high on the face. Ball not being compressed as much. Lot's of different factors. What Hox said about accelerating is usually one of the problems though. We always seem to hold back a bit.

These are the 2 reasons I would think. Most pros end up getting flyers out of the rough because it kills spin and the ball just flys and doesn't have any bite (back spin) when it hits.

It could be a variety of things. All of what you have mentioned. It depends how deep the rough you are playing out of. Most courses don't have really penalizing rough. I don't change anything on my half wedges out of the rough. I just make sure I'm accelerating through impact. To me this is key on all half wedge shots. Accelerate, accelerate, accelerate
BTW - I have learned, when really good golfers talk short game, I listen.

One thing to look for is if the ball is setting up in the rough. If the ball is setting up try not to ground the club at address. Grounding the club often leads you to find the ground on your swing and going under the ball slightly hitting it high on the face, killing you distance.
I noticed yesterday that my half wedge shots out of the rough fall very short of my normal distance on the short grass.
I'm curious to know if this is normal and the possible reasons for this? Is it lack of compression, grass between the club and ball. I'm curious.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deep rough, I play like a bunker shot, but every lie is different. Practice....practice....practice......

Back