Driver Watermelon Challenge

I'm not questioning, or disagreeing with any of the arguments (or the science for that matter)...... it was just my thinking on it. (the thinking of a guynot very good at the sciences LOL)

Didn't think you were - just putting my teacher hat on...

Man do I want an answer to this now.

Didn't think you were - just putting my teacher hat on...

Man do I want an answer to this now.

Find someone you don't like to try it, just in case they break their wrist

Find someone you don't like to try it, just in case they break their wrist

I've got a playoff match for my work league. I'll bring a watermelon for my opponent.

I honestly believe that with a ripened watermelon it would be no problem.

I can't get it to play.

No Bueno for me too

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I think that you will sprain or break your wrist if this is tried.

My guess: Either orientation, the melon explodes and the resistance is mostly gone before the driver head is fully in the space where the melon used to be. So yes, I think you can put a driver through a melon, if - this is A BIG IF and the reason not to try it - the club doesn't break.

Don't try this at home! People have died from wounds from broken golf club shafts, and if the head separates from the shaft the melon fragments could direct the head to any direction. Besides, I was once 9 months away from golf and any physical activities because I hit a root and the club stopped mid-swing, this sounds like the same deal.

Anybody has a swing machine? This would make an awesome video!

I have a steel-shafted Steel Head 5w that I'm contemplating trying this with, as a sort of trial run. If I don't break my hand, and it goes through easily, I could move up to an old RFE 5w with a Trinity shaft. I'm also pretty sure I have a 3w lying around somewhere, too. Small scale for proof until it doesn't work, kind of scientific, eh? :alien:

Personally, I think all that pressure being imparted on the melon would be transmitted through the inside, which is basically all water, and just blow out the back side before your club head even got there. So, that area of the driver face would just push water through to the other end of the melon and over-pressurize the inside and it would have to give out somewhere.

I honestly don't think you can hit a driver through a watermelon. I have several drivers laying around and think I may give this a try later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I honestly don't think you can hit a driver through a watermelon. I have several drivers laying around and think I give this a try later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you do this today, please Periscope it :D

Discussing it with my daughter right now. She thinks I could, but said you will splash watermelon all over me.
If you do this today, please Periscope it :D

I think the shaft would break.

Got a feeling you'd tear the ligaments in your wrists to shreds. That sort of sudden resistance halfway through your swing isn't going to be good for your wrists ...

After finally catching up I think you could sideways but not long ways.

Hmm, I have a driver I could try this with. Just need a watermelon. I want to say yeah, but want to try.

So let's think about this a bit. A golf ball has a profile that is about 1/6 the size of a driver face. In a addition it is round which concentrates it's impact into a smaller initial area then expanding to it's full profile. It also had a skin that is designed to decrease resistance whether from air or water. Jamie Sandlowskie has a ball speed of around 200mph. Compare the physics of the golf ball to the club head. It's like the difference of an Olympic driver executing a flawless dive from 20 meters and a person in an inflatable sumo wrestler suit belly flopping from 10.

Not 24 hours yet, but says it's expired....dang.

I say the driver goes trough, and the wrist is injured.

what about a righty hittign it with the back of a left handed driver? I think it would have more chance to go trough... or maybe not, I dont know, and I will not try it

Not a chance, I think the shaft breaks.

Id like to think the shaft would break hitting that.

I saw this in a couple of pictures in golf magazines so I think it's possible. But they were long-drive contestants. I still think it's dangerous for the average guy.

Back