How do you know your game has taken the next step?

I feel that you reach the next level of your game when you are no longer satisfied with your previous scores. Part of it is knowledge that you left shots out there, another is confidence that you can shho lower, majority is putting in the time to practice. You are happy with your 43 now, but I promise next year you will cringe at it ;). It's all about perspective and desire to improve. Good luck on your journey

For me I feel if I shoot a 42 its a bad 9. That's how I feel I reached the next step. A 42 for me usually means a blow up hole somewhere, which I hope to minimize going to the next, next step, lol. Two years ago I thought 50 was a bad 9, so I think I'm slowly headed in the right direction.

For me I feel if I shoot a 42 its a bad 9. That's how I feel I reached the next step. A 42 for me usually means a blow up hole somewhere, which I hope to minimize going to the next, next step, lol. Two years ago I thought 50 was a bad 9, so I think I'm slowly headed in the right direction.

I hear you. I have had multiple 50+ 9's on this course, and now I look at a 43 and can easily see how that could have been high 30's. It's just a process, and we'll see if this was a fluke or not.

If you take a look at your penalty shots. If you were hitting long aggressive drives that are good shots but running out of fairway, you can still be aggressive with a fairway wood or an long iron. Being in attack mode is not only for the driver. If that aggressive mentality works for you, stay aggressive but just be smarter in your club selection. Hope that makes sence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That's a good point. It also comes down to knowing what my yardage is, and where I need to be on a hole for any given shot. I'm just not there yet. I have crossed over from "I hope this shot isn't a shank" to "I think I want this shot on the right side over that mound". Knowing what is over that mound, and how far I can hit with this club...those things are evolving.

That's a good point. It also comes down to knowing what my yardage is, and where I need to be on a hole for any given shot. I'm just not there yet. I have crossed over from "I hope this shot isn't a shank" to "I think I want this shot on the right side over that mound". Knowing what is over that mound, and how far I can hit with this club...those things are evolving.
I simple phone app GPS does wonders for helping disect a hole

Congrats on setting the table. Not sure this means you're ready for hungryman 5v dinner vs the regular tv dinner, but your in the right aisle.

A sign that your game is changing would be a trend. For instance, your next 5 rounds are like or better than your last. The double bogies start to become less frequent. More pars and birds. This could be the beginning but let's see what you do next few times out.
false hope and expectations can really bogg down a round if you don't see what your expecting. Keep the positives and build on the negatives from that round. If you do that your game will turn quicker

Thanks buddy. I do feel like things have turned for me, but I am not going to let a bad round or 5 get me down. I understand the ride I am on. But after that one lesson I just feel like things started clicking. I even have the ProV1 balls out full-time, because I am hitting so many fairways. It's the difference between thinking don't screw up, and thinking let's manhandle this hole. I am seeing it across the board, from tee shots to putting, so this leads me to believe I may have turned a corner. But...we'll see.

In any case, this game is so much fun when things work. To most of you I probably suck, but coming from mid 50 9's to low 40's, it feels really good.

I simple phone app GPS does wonders for helping disect a hole

I have a GPS watch, but until recently even the yardage wasn't a great help. If you have no idea where your shot is going, does it really matter how far away you are? Things seem to be moving to the strategy of a hole, which is taking some adjusting.

Personally I know my game has progressed when I can have confidence in a shot that used to concern me.

The scoring may not always be there, but that's just part of the game, knowing what shots needed to be executed and try your best is much more important than the actual outcome.

Which is tough to always remember on the course, but that's part of the mental game that needs to be worked on like any other part of the game.

For you I believe you've turned a corner and gained some confidence, this should propel you to the next stage of your game.

Well guys, i played another 9 today. Things didn't start out very good, as i had two mishits with my 4h. Hole number one ended up being a triple, but i just shrugged it off. I was also a bit stiff and sore, as this was my third time playing in 6 days. The second hole wasn't much better, as i left my tee shot right under a tree and had no chance except to pitch out to safety. And it was at that point things started to click. Over the next 7 holes i had 1 birdie, 3 pars, 2 bogeys, and one double. I also had no penalties, and went home with the same ball i started with. I did have 4 mishits with the 4h, and 1 3 putt, but I ended up shooting 44, a PB for this 9. In the last week i have gone from not being able to break 100, to shooting 92, and now putting 2 9's together for 87. I like the way this season is ending, but i wish it was May instead of September.

I think your game has taken the next step. You mentioned Ina previous round you had a snowman you have t had that and you're minimizing your misses and your score is reflecting that.

Emart and Plin had good responses that a I agree with. Lately whenI've felt like I had a bad round but my score wasn't as I thought I had played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will know when it gets there. For me, it became a very noticeable drop in my missed greens which led me to scoring better. As my wedges go, my score goes. Always been a good putter, but when wedges land closer, duh, the scores go lower.

One thing that helped me was the Pelz Short Game Bible. Understanding how to simplify my swing helped me get more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back