InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
I've had a pro tell me it takes 4 hours of practice to become a competent bunker player. As some of you know, I found a pot bunker over the weekend, and those are and entirely different can of worms. I'd say it takes another 4 hours practice out of them to become competent with pot bunkers.

Anyway, my confidence with bunkers has been totally wrecked in the past few days I decided not to go to my usual range because 1) I didn't feel like driving; and 2) this one has a better bunker.

I hit 2/3 of a large bucket and still could bomb my driver. My 5W still has mojo off the grass (there's an area of rough to hit woods), and I hit some iron shots just enough to be satisfied. But I took 1/3 of the bucket over to the bunker. No one ever practices in it either.

So I managed to hit every single one of those balls out of the bunker with solid shots - well one picked clean, one mishit and barely made it out, but the rest looked good. I put in about a half hour hitting out of the bunker. It's hard work pounding sand.

Then I went and putt.

Oh, and escaping from a pot bunker?

Admittedly the wall of the one I was in was a wee bit higher.

Cute kid.

the trick to bunker play is to not hit it in the bunkers

Back