Shot shape - what can you live with?

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So was doing some range work today and I have a fade with my driver. It starts out straight but curves halfway through the ball flight about 10 to 15 yards to the right. If I aim left edge of the fairway I can probably keep it in play towards the right side on most holes.

I was complaining about this ball flight but one of the guys I play with said that until I can really get the kinks out, this was an acceptable ball flight and I should not stress so much about it.

If you had a predictable ball flight like what is described above (it's probably a slice), but you could keep it in play, would you? Or would you work on nothing else but this aspect of your game until it was ironed out?

As long as the shot shape is consistent and predictable, there are a lot worse issues you can have in regards to striking a golf ball.

As long as the shot shape is consistent and predictable, there are a lot worse issues you can have in regards to striking a golf ball.

There is plenty left wanting in my game, but at least my iron striking seemed to look good today. Trying to work on my alignment. I am so far off from where I think I am lined up, it's not funny.

So was doing some range work today and I have a fade with my driver. It starts out straight but curves halfway through the ball flight about 10 to 15 yards to the right. If I aim left edge of the fairway I can probably keep it in play towards the right side on most holes.

I was complaining about this ball flight but one of the guys I play with said that until I can really get the kinks out, this was an acceptable ball flight and I should not stress so much about it.

If you had a predictable ball flight like what is described above (it's probably a slice), but you could keep it in play, would you? Or would you work on nothing else but this aspect of your game until it was ironed out?

I've played a pull/draw for a couple years with great success. I'll openly admit to attempting to get rid of it this year to improve my overall ability so I'd argue I would not.

Yes, if you have a consistent ball flight that you can control. IMO it makes the game easier. You have the ability to eliminate one side of the golf course. It is a nice feeling standing over a shot and knowing you are not going to miss left or right depending on your flight. The hard part is trusting it. If you can trust it and aim for it go ahead an play it

My natural shot is a fade, so I'll take it all day, everyday. Takes the left side out of play. I can hit a draw (most of the time) when it is a must have, but I just swing naturally and take the fade.

I play a fade and when I get to play this great game. I play my fade I really have no other choice and I wouldn't haven't any other way

Lee Trevino piloted a fade to great success, and Annika Sorinstam couldn't shape the ball to save her life. It's all about knowing the shape you're going to hit, and being able to hit it, IMO.

My natural shot shape is a fade, but it only happens if I aim down the middle. If I try to aim left to compensate for it I hit it dead straight almost every time.

Have played a fade with the woods for 43yrs no so don't plan on changing. I can draw the ball if fade is just not the shot off the tee, but in those instances I always reach for the 3 wood.
Don't really like playing a draw though unless there is no other option as have no real idea of where it will finish.
With the irons I am usually straight rather than shaped. Not always straight at the green, but straight.
All boils down to what you are happy with and how your mind visualises things.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I aspire for a straight shot and that's what I'm working on. My drives tend to fade and slice, but I would like a straight shot better than a fade. I can do a draw once in a while, but the funny thing is, I can't do an intentional fade even if that's my natural shot.

As of late the draw has been my go to shot. Liking it as most courses here bend right to left and I can get a good runner down the fairway pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

A predictable fade or draw is the beginning to lower scores and I would be happy with it, the only thing I would do is try to minimize the extremes of the shot and make it a little more controllable. As you play more I think that will come Tom, you have all the potential in the world to play good golf.

Predictable. That's all I'm really after. I've been missing two ways lately and it has made me want to sell my clubs.

I'll take any shot shape that's predictable and I know will repeat. That's it. Period.

When I was playing my best golf last season, I was hitting a cut off the tee with the driver. Now that I'm in hook city, I'd gladly take that repeatable cut again. It shows up sometimes, but not enough to be predictable.

when i started playing i had a natural fade, but now I've changed my tee height (1cm higher) I'm getting a consistent draw or straight (no fade at all), my advice would be to keep things as they are so you know that the fight will always be the same so you remove any unpredictability off the tee.

Right now I am hitting a draw off the tee and a fade with my irons and quite honestly I think it's a match made in heaven.

Right now I am hitting a draw off the tee and a fade with my irons and quite honestly I think it's a match made in heaven.

If you would teach me how to fade an iron at Disney, I would forever be indebted to you! I have the draw / hook thing mastered already will all clubs....

If it is predictable that is something I can live with. I had a fade with the driver the last time I played. With driver that day I was probably 1/3 straight with 2/3 fade. I don't recall hitting a draw with any of them, even after going strong with the grip. I kept asking my partners where the hell did that come from? I''m normally straight if not with a bit of a draw. If it continues then I can adjust to it but knowing this game it will be different then next time I play.

My stock shot is a draw. I hit more of a stinger/draw with my mid-long irons. Mid ball flight with my short irons. Wedges are mid-high flight.

With my driver it's a push-draw. It tends to leak when I get tired.

Just working on grooving the swing for now.

Dance with who you brought and ypur Gane will improve. That is unless your date is fat.

I had a slice that i managed to get somewhat control of. Then i had one lesson and now havea nice little draw. I like it.

Anything that is consistent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dance with who you brought and ypur Gane will improve. That is unless your date is fat.

I need to go on a fat-free diet, especially on the last few holes.

I believe any golfer could win big money with a consistent fade. In my mind, a fade is THE go to shot.

Back