perhaps minor but how would you manage this hole

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
We often discuss risk/reward but its often on a larger scale than this. However as we play its also imo about the small and more subtle types of game managing decisions that we face. Things that don't seem like much of a big deal that we probably come across more often than we think in our every day play that makes a difference in our final scores.

Here is a shorter or medium length par 4 with a hard dogleg. The yellow shot is 220 with 90 left for an approach while the red shot is 240 with 55 left for the approach. Most people (probably 90%) will try to play over the bunker or a heavy fade/slice just to get about 30 yrds closer vs what imo is already a pretty short approach anyway. And honestly, more often then not it fails for them. They hit the bunker or the trees. fwiw under those trees is a stream and weeds where a ball has about 40% chance of being unplayable or even lost not to mention the trees themselves often in the way of a would be approach.

Imo this is not a giant "risk/reward" shot. The reward imo is very minimal vs whats being gained. Is the red shot worth it for you here just to have about a55 yrd approach vs a 90 yrd approach? I can hit over that trap but for me and my logic its play to the 220 at the turn and even if am less than good I still have a very makeable approach. I just see too many people fail at trying to gain the extra 35 yrds and I always question in my mind - But why and for what? what was the big gain?

So what do you think about this smaller risk for not so big reward shot? Imo its interesting how (even on a shorter hole) people still tend to lose strokes for what imo is not that big a deal to just play what the hole is giving us. Its a easy par with a possible birdie look often enough anyway. Or at least when ones shots are executed within reason. But perhaps (as many seem to do on this hole) you don't agree with my logic.

howell_zpsnmbkux6b.jpg

I'd be going for the 220 shot then wedge in

My game would warrant me playing the 220 and then 90 to make the GIR. That would put my DW in my hand for my second shot and that's the club I have the best chance of sticking close for a possible one putt birdie.

Might not be the smartest or safest play but I'd probably hit driver on the yellow line with my fade/slice. It's the only ball flight I can actually produce when I want to (most of the time).

Hybrid or heavenwood out to the corner. Over the trap doesn't seem to get me a whole lot, and a pull would end up being bad news. Play for the SW into the green.

Hybrid or heavenwood out to the corner. Over the trap doesn't seem to get me a whole lot, and a pull would end up being bad news. Play for the SW into the green.
This is my exact answer.

I'd probably be more comfortable with a 90 yard shot over a 50 yard shot. Although, lately my short game has been above my skill level so.....

Never having played this hole, it looks to me like 220 is not exactly risk free either. Push it a little and you're in the trap. Long or left and you have tree trouble. The truly safe shot to me looks to be short of the trap, leaving something more like 115-120 into the green, I'm guessing.

I think I'd probably be pretty tempted to play even a little further right than the red line--more like at the front of the green. It looks like there is plenty of room to miss left on that line.

Heavenwood off of the tee box and then SW into the green.

Easy:

1. Attempt 220 shot, fail and push ball right
2. Punch back into fairway, but ball goes too far into the rough
3. Soft 9I from now 130, miss green
4. Chip onto green
5. 2 Putt for double

220 is a 3hyb for me. I tend to hit a draw w/ the 3hyb and if I miss it'll be a pull. I'd probably take a line just left of the bunker (so it stays out of trouble if I don't draw) and play for the corner. No need to put it over the trees for me.

If those trees aren't super tall, I'd probably take the dumba** route and go 3 wood over the trees looking to hit the from of the green. I'm extrapolating from the other measures that the green center would be about 270 yards. Perfect 3 wood distance. If there were tough conditions that day, like a firm breeze then I would play the yellow line

Never having played this hole, it looks to me like 220 is not exactly risk free either. Push it a little and you're in the trap. Long or left and you have tree trouble. The truly safe shot to me looks to be short of the trap, leaving something more like 115-120 into the green, I'm guessing.

I think I'd probably be pretty tempted to play even a little further right than the red line--more like at the front of the green. It looks like there is plenty of room to miss left on that line.

Yes you can find that bunker with a miss-right but a similar miss left and/or short (or even long) you still have a good approach to attempt. While the red shot is certainly not nearly as miss friendly. Of course being wildly errant is bad from anywhere on any hole and is I think fair to say another thing.

220 to the corner, then up.

If those trees aren't super tall, I'd probably take the dumba** route and go 3 wood over the trees looking to hit the from of the green. I'm extrapolating from the other measures that the green center would be about 270 yards. Perfect 3 wood distance. If there were tough conditions that day, like a firm breeze then I would play the yellow line

I've never seen anyone do it and yes it would be about 265. I'm just not sure one would get over the trees. At 3 handicap I suppose this would be an option however that is not most people and why I didn't bring that up.

Definitely the yellow line - I don't trust that bunker and flirting with the trees - would hit a 3 Hybrid or a choke-down 5W out and have either a GW or full SW in

If I played this hole every day? Red line with my hybrid and expect a small draw.

If I played this once? 3 wood as far right as I am allowed to swing without hitting a tree and hope I hit it straight (for the green).

I've never seen anyone do it and yes it would be about 265. I'm just not sure one would get over the trees. At 3 handicap I suppose this would be an option however that is not most people and why I didn't bring that up.
I tend to have a Happy Gilmore-esqe flair for the dramatic so I enjoy the challenge. Sometimes I pull it off but most of the time I fail miserably. I'm just a glutton for punishment I suppose lol

Driver or 3 wood straight at the green.

Definitely pulling out the driver or 3 wood and going for it unless there is wind right to left off of the tee, then I would lay up. For me my more likely miss would be not fading it enough and ending up through the fairway. From the looks of the picture not much trouble there. At worst I make a par and many cases I have a chance to chip in for eagle or tap in for birdie.

I would TRY to hit 220 and be straight in for a 90 yard wedge. What I would do is probably hit it into that bunker on the corner. To me the shot needed to have the shorter wedge shot would not be worth it. A 90 yard wedge would be like a 90% 56 degree wedge and is something I am really comfortable with.

I hit my driver and 3 wood really high, so I'm taking 3w over the trees. Sometimes I love to do stupid stuff.

If we pull that red line a bit right towards that front bunker, it seems the carry would be about the same to get there and to the green. If that's the case, I'd be aiming at the green and giving it a go and hoping for a bunker or chip shot...or maybe it ends up on the green. Of course, that all seems to depend on the placement of the tee on the tee box as it seems that if it's back, then the trees block out that shot anyway.

But if I didn't have a shot at the green from the tee due to the trees near the tee, I'd play the yellow with my 5 wood since the 'cut shot' is not really something I'm great at doing on demand.

How tall are those trees in direct line with the green?

This is my answer if I'm hitting it at all well that day. Looks to me like long of the green is much better than short/right on that line.

If I'm not hitting it very well that day, I might hit a 5 or 6 iron to be short of the bunker and then a wedge into the green.

Back