Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Iron Review Thread

Ahhh man, totally thought they said my clubs would be in store today. Nope, being shipped to store today. Now It's just a wait with no date. :banghead:

TM ships pretty quick they will be in soon

Was able to get out to play 9 holes this past week to finally hit the new sticks outdoors. There is no comparison to my old Callaway Razr X in all aspects. The feel and turf interaction were the highlights of the day for me. I personally couldn't tell the difference between the forged and cast clubs and I am now a believer of the speed pocket. I had 180 to the green with bunkers guarding the front of the green. I pulled my 7 and caught it a a little of the toe (still on the grooves lol) and instantly thought I'm playing from the sand. To my amazement the ball carried the bunker and only was about 5 yard short of my intended target. I'm also thinking of adding a 4 iron to my set as I kept my 4 iron in bag from my previous set and am hitting it much better and longer (~225 yards) from my lessons I'm taking and is a great option off the tee for me when I need it. I'm planning on playing 18 this weekend and will report back with more. So far I'm loving the new clubs and am looking forward to the upcoming season.

Got a round in yesterday and I've started to struggle with the long irons off of the tee. More an issue of working out some issues from lessons, but the short irons have really become dialed in. My #1 rule that has worked best for me with these clubs, when in doubt, club up.

Spent some time in PGASS on Sunday and looking through the different irons out there, the MCs have to be one of the best-looking, if not the best out there right now. Really love the look. And I really think anyone around a 12 HDCP can game these. I've had to put extra work to increase my consistency, but I'm loving what I see overall from these clubs. Consistently hitting more greens (or manageable area close to the green) than ever before.

Got a round in yesterday and I've started to struggle with the long irons off of the tee. More an issue of working out some issues from lessons, but the short irons have really become dialed in. My #1 rule that has worked best for me with these clubs, when in doubt, club up.

Spent some time in PGASS on Sunday and looking through the different irons out there, the MCs have to be one of the best-looking, if not the best out there right now. Really love the look. And I really think anyone around a 12 HDCP can game these. I've had to put extra work to increase my consistency, but I'm loving what I see overall from these clubs. Consistently hitting more greens (or manageable area close to the green) than ever before.

I am a 9 HDCP and have no problem gaming them they are more forgiving than you might think

I am a 9 HDCP and have no problem gaming them they are more forgiving than you might think

Yes. I was hitting one during my lesson today and despite having a bit of a struggle with my swing at the moment it felt good, even on off center hits.

Home course opens on Saturday. Hopefully the leash gets extended. I want to bring the Tour Preferreds out into the Wisconsin sun.

Home course opens on Saturday. Hopefully the leash gets extended. I want to bring the Tour Preferreds out into the Wisconsin sun.

Loving mine. This is a totally different experience with longer shafts and aerotechs

Hopefully you get some time on real grass

Got mine today....WoooHoooo....they look nice, real nice....

On my 4i though, on the back in the top corner of the toe where it says Tour Preferred, the plate that the Tour Preferred is printed on bubbles out and doesnt sit flat like the rest of the irons. Should I take this back?

Got mine today....WoooHoooo....they look nice, real nice....

On my 4i though, on the back in the top corner of the toe where it says Tour Preferred, the plate that the Tour Preferred is printed on bubbles out and doesnt sit flat like the rest of the irons. Should I take this back?

Give TMag a call they will fix it

As I look a little closer...it looks like theres a defect in the speed pocket of my 6i too...

4i
20140412_003835_zpsoggbnfp9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

6i
20140412_003650_zpsbajufwsk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What do you think?

Taylormade customer service not open on the weekend. Have to keep the 4 and 6 out of bag today. If these obvious defects made it through QC I am wondering about the rest of the integrity of the club.

Taylormade customer service not open on the weekend. Have to keep the 4 and 6 out of bag today. If these obvious defects made it through QC I am wondering about the rest of the integrity of the club.
The 4 iron looks like the the badge was just not pushed down all the way
The 6 iron looks like there is just a bit of extra slot material or is the slot actually miss cut

On the 4i, the badge will not push down, I have a round headed chisel that I padded and tried to push down and no luck. I'm a little less concerned about this as it seems to be cosmetic and wont affect anything but a quick resale.

The 6i slot is milled bad, It is definitely in the metal. I was hoping as I prodded this it would be just a material goop from pocket.

Contacted Golfsmith yday and they told me it could take a month or longer for them to send my clubs in and then wait for them to come back. Does anyone else find this to be completely unsatisfactory after spending a grand on 7 clubs. After these obvious defects passed QC, I am doubting the integrity of the clubs in a whole. Real bad feeling for a set of clubs you just bought.

Have been a huge TM fan and this is a little heart breaking. Really looking forward to talking to someone from TM on Monday to put my mind to ease and see what they do for an avg. JOE customer when then send out BAD equipment.

Talk to Taylormade on Monday

Went out yday to hit these on a beautiful mid 60's day and no wind. As I walk up to the clubhouse a gust of wind hits me and by the time I exit we have a sustained 15mph wind with glimpses of the sun. Grabbed a small bucket and hit the range to that wind being directly in the face with no yardage markers up and the teeing area was at least 20 yards further back than I have seen it before.

As far as a distance comparison to my R9's, I have no idea. The feel of the clubs was great, even the hossel rocket I hit when my buddy pulled up purposely calling out my name at top of backswing(he definitely got me, focus needs more work). Always felt my R9's were a great feeling club for cavity backed irons but these just felt pure with every shot. For being early in the year(2nd range time and one round in) my accuracy with these was spot on. The muscle back irons(only had 5i & 7i) seemed to take off pretty hot but were ballooning out into the stiff breeze with normal shot.

Playing the round seemed like a guessing game all day with new clubs and an ever changing breeze. Distances were killing me and it felt like I was in alot of gapped distances between my clubs. From 145 out and a little helping right to left breeze I stuck a 9i to 7 ft. Had alot of shots that were directly at the flag but just fell short. Caught myself clubbing up and taking to conservative of swings I think. Thus my old favorite iron, the 7i, I kept pushing right with a handsy feel trying to get cute. Didnt miss the sweet spot all day with these for some reason. Usually get a couple off the toe a little but didnt today(credit to tadashi and his great tips Ive been reading).

Played a few extra holes after going double, double to end the round(played safe of both tee shots and got punished with an impossible shot out of fw bunker on 17 and a divot ball on 18) with an 84. Used the PW for around the green chipping and have found a new best friend, really wish there was an A-wedge in this set as my R9's is with me for now.

Cant wait to get out and game these again.

Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Iron Review Thread

Why do you keep putting "yday". I've never seen that before

yesterday...little shorter yday

Makes a little bit of sense.

I'm excited to see what these irons do outdoors up here.

With the 8i, 9i, and pw every shot was no more than 5 ft off target. I was usually at about a 10-15ft range with old irons. Dont know if the stiff shaft is helping in that compared to the regular I was swinging with the R9's, but it felt great to be that on target yelling get up rather than hit a turtle to get closer.

Register for Tour Preferred. These clubs have built in preferred service through TaylorMade. They will get you set. Don't go through Golfsmith.

Register for Tour Preferred. These clubs have built in preferred service through TaylorMade. They will get you set. Don't go through Golfsmith.

Didnt know if I was gonna register just because of the sending 2 clubs back. Thanks for the info.

Makes a little bit of sense.

I'm excited to see what these irons do outdoors up here.

Yup, just like WITB, same basic concept.

You too are in the great north, where golf seasons hibernate for way to long.

Yup, just like WITB, same basic concept.

You too are in the great north, where golf seasons hibernate for way to long.

It may be a 6 month golf season. But the weather pushes most for the homeless and crazy people south and west.

LOL...During blizzards the crime rate is invisibile too. During that 6 months, 3 of em are at least windy too. Dreams of moving south after the kids get through school still.

Back