The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what has been killing me as of late, totally out of the blue and now its made its way up to other scoring irons.

Had inside of 120 on 3 of the first 4 holes and missed right on all 3, 1 of which landed on the green. I was ticked.

I think I need to work on alignment and takeaway. That's a shot I used to use a lot of wrist set with and after playing with Freddie (and asking his advice on some pushed misses) he told me to knock that off and it improved instantly. Just need to practice it more so I don't subconsiously do it.

My hands are all sorts of effed up after yesterday. Oof.

BUT, since yesterday is out for practice, I'll be out for a range session today. Going to pick up where I left off yesterday with focusing on the longer irons and maintaining tempt to keep from trying to lift them up and shallowing out the swing a bit to improve my divots. Also there will be more work on 50-85 yards as right now this area is killing me, was better yesterday on the 9 I played bc I had just worked it, but that is scoring range and I must take advantage there every time, that again comes back to me not trying to get quit and NOT HANGING BACK to try and lift the ball.

Will be more chipping work after, yesterday was good for me. I just lack the ability/technique to generate spin on short wedges which kills a little bit of my heart still but I started just playing the run out more and the results were really good, chipped in a few times on my 3rd and 4th times through my practice routine. Then on the 9 I played I had two really really good chips to save a couple holes.

Normally after a range session or a session around the green I feel accomplished and consider it 'checked' off the list for a week or so, but the time I spent with a wedge around the green on Saturday has me totally energized to go back and do it again soon. I was working on tight fairway/fringe lie punch-style shots and the improvements were obvious by the time the session was done.

I want to go back in the next couple days and do the exact same thing out of the rough. Work on manipulating the club head a bit and pitching/flopping.

I think I need to work on alignment and takeaway. That's a shot I used to use a lot of wrist set with and after playing with Freddie (and asking his advice on some pushed misses) he told me to knock that off and it improved instantly. Just need to practice it more so I don't subconsiously do it.

Yeah something is off, I can feel it, will right the ship with a lesson this week and get back to practicing the correct swing.

Need to clear my head in a big way. Going to head out after work and play 9 holes by myself..aka a therapy session.

I was really looking forward to some short game practice this weekend. Unfortunately rain and real life got in the way.

Enjoy it Ricky!

I might not even keep score. Just work on bunkers and hitting some different type of shots. Whenever I play there I am the only one on the course. Its a private course but my friend lives there.

I might not even keep score. Just work on bunkers and hitting some different type of shots. Whenever I play there I am the only one on the course. Its a private course but my friend lives there.

I used to do that quite often when I belonged to a club. Bascially a range session on the course and I hit 4-5 balls each hole.

I've been having some real issues with my swing the past couple of weeks, hitting out of the toe and blocking shots off to the right, really weak and often with a jarring connection. Things were getting pretty bad until yesterday.

I wanted to go to the range to try and work on being a little closer to the ball but one thing I read before I left the house changed my whole swing. I read that most golfers swing with their arms and don't rotate enough. Something inside clicked and with this thought off I went to the range to give it a try.

First 10 swings were pure, high draws, swapped from an 8 iron to a 4hybrid and the same thing, went through a few topped shots when I started to get a little quick. I found that by really focusing on a good hip rotation on my backswing, the rest of it fell into place and I was hitting at least an extra club in distance.

Real eureka moment there!

Got to the range this morning and worked on my woods. Really focused on clearing the hip and releasing the head throigh impact. Saw some goodd results. Ill be back to this tomorrow. Now finish up with some putting

You hitting those bombs still?? Can't wait to see some of that Colorado Golf Magic in Indy my friend.
Got to the range this morning and worked on my woods. Really focused on clearing the hip and releasing the head throigh impact. Saw some goodd results. Ill be back to this tomorrow. Now finish up with some putting

You hitting those bombs still?? Can't wait to see some of that Colorado Golf Magic in Indy my friend.

8u9e9ety.jpg
zuju8yqy.jpg
u7e6ega2.jpg

Not BOMBS like I see j4u hit but was gettimg some good ball flight today. Still some issues creep in with leaving the face open... time to really commit to clearing the left hip off the line. No more half assing!

8u9e9ety.jpg
zuju8yqy.jpg
u7e6ega2.jpg

Not BOMBS like I see j4u hit but was gettimg some good ball flight today. Still some issues creep in with leaving the face open... time to really commit to clearing the left hip off the line. No more half assing!

Was that with the fairway wood or driver.

Well was excited to play golf on my birthday today..unfortunately i went to warm up..and I hit it terrible. Fats and a few shanks and pulls. Never had a bad warm up like that in at least 2 yrs. I hate playing golf doctor, so I took the easy way out. I left and decided to try tomorrow..I blamed my misfortunes on just being out of sync big time. I felt like I was getting so far ahead of it with my upper body..and spinning..that I was completely missing my mark.

Will lł try again tomorrow,,just so so out of sync...but enjoying my birthday as best as I can. Will try tomorrow.

I think I may be in trouble. The only range within a 30 minute drive of work and home has been mysteriously closed since Thursday. If it is something more than an unannounced vacation, I have lost the ability to practice at lunch and made after work much more difficult and time consuming.

Was that with the fairway wood or driver.

J40 10.5 445 head with diamana d+72x shaft at 45 inches

Got some launch and spin rates at golfsmith just now
y3u6eheh.jpg

J40 10.5 445 head with diamana d+72x shaft at 45 inches

Got some launch and spin rates at golfsmith just now
y3u6eheh.jpg

Dang man you are just sick. You can really hit the ball further out in Colorado.

Headed to the range today to straighten out my tee game hopefully. My normal flight is right to left but I was seriously struggling with losing the ball out to the right. Initial thought is ball position but my bigger fear is my swing path is out of sorts again. I'll get the alignment sticks back out and see what's what. Going to be a great night to beat a few buckets of balls.

Headed to the range today to straighten out my tee game hopefully. My normal flight is right to left but I was seriously struggling with losing the ball out to the right. Initial thought is ball position but my bigger fear is my swing path is out of sorts again. I'll get the alignment sticks back out and see what's what. Going to be a great night to beat a few buckets of balls.

I have been battling the same issue. My swing fault is simple. Face open at impact. Cause is left hip not clearing and not allowing for proper release of the club. Such a fickle game

I have been battling the same issue. My swing fault is simple. Face open at impact. Cause is left hip not clearing and not allowing for proper release of the club. Such a fickle game

Ain't that the truth! I've been pulling through too much and yanking drives left. I straighted that out on the back 9 yesterday but we ll see how long that lasts lol. I haven't been able to take my range work to the course. Too much on course adjustments. Get out of the way, brain!

Ain't that the truth! I've been pulling through too much and yanking drives left. I straighted that out on the back 9 yesterday but we ll see how long that lasts lol. I haven't been able to take my range work to the course. Too much on course adjustments. Get out of the way, brain!

For sure dude. Pretty much a range pro all late last year lol

Time for some #Gauntlet practice!

Trying not to get too excited about my range session today, but I had a breakthrough. I had played around a little bit last year with keeping my weight a little more forward in my setup instead of having it 50-50 between both feet, but that went away when I took the long winter break from playing golf. Anyways, watching some Martin Chuck videos on YouTube over the weekend made me think about it again, as he advocates having the weight a little more forward at setup and in the backswing because it makes it easier to get your weight over your front leg at impact.

Anyways, I was hitting my sand wedge and hitting it about 90-95 yards at first (was going for a 100 yard flag). I started to experiment with more weight on my front (left) leg and found that I could hit some shots with that were carrying the 100 yard flag and had a good trajectory. After that, I moved onto my 8 iron and aimed at a 145 yard flag. 8 iron is usually my 150 club, I wanted to hit something where on a regular swing, I'd be able to at least get to that flag instead of feeling like I had to kill a 9 iron. Well, with some of the swings focusing on keeping the weight a little more on the left leg and taking a more controlled backswing (aka not overswinging!), I had some shots that looked to be carrying the 145 yard flag by at least 10 yards. There's a short wood fence on our range that's about 165 yards out that has a hill behind it, and I hit a couple of shots that one-hopped over the fence and ended up on the hill behind the fence, so that would probably be a 160 yard carry with an 8 iron. It was a little downwind, but still, that's a huge 8 iron for me! Of course, I hit a majority of my shots that carried my "normal" distance, but knowing that I could make a swing that gave me 5-10 extra carry yards was huge. It shows me that the swing changes I'm trying to make will result in more distance, and hopefully mean more GIR as well.

I was also excited because our short game area is FINALLY in good shape after the harsh winter. I spent about an hour out there, my chipping and putting was surprisingly good for not practicing it much recently. I'm excited to play 18 holes tomorrow and see whether I can take my range game to the course.

Trying not to get too excited about my range session today, but I had a breakthrough. I had played around a little bit last year with keeping my weight a little more forward in my setup instead of having it 50-50 between both feet, but that went away when I took the long winter break from playing golf. Anyways, watching some Martin Chuck videos on YouTube over the weekend made me think about it again, as he advocates having the weight a little more forward at setup and in the backswing because it makes it easier to get your weight over your front leg at impact.

Anyways, I was hitting my sand wedge and hitting it about 90-95 yards at first (was going for a 100 yard flag). I started to experiment with more weight on my front (left) leg and found that I could hit some shots with that were carrying the 100 yard flag and had a good trajectory. After that, I moved onto my 8 iron and aimed at a 145 yard flag. 8 iron is usually my 150 club, I wanted to hit something where on a regular swing, I'd be able to at least get to that flag instead of feeling like I had to kill a 9 iron. Well, with some of the swings focusing on keeping the weight a little more on the left leg and taking a more controlled backswing (aka not overswinging!), I had some shots that looked to be carrying the 145 yard flag by at least 10 yards. There's a short wood fence on our range that's about 165 yards out that has a hill behind it, and I hit a couple of shots that one-hopped over the fence and ended up on the hill behind the fence, so that would probably be a 160 yard carry with an 8 iron. It was a little downwind, but still, that's a huge 8 iron for me! Of course, I hit a majority of my shots that carried my "normal" distance, but knowing that I could make a swing that gave me 5-10 extra carry yards was huge. It shows me that the swing changes I'm trying to make will result in more distance, and hopefully mean more GIR as well.

I was also excited because our short game area is FINALLY in good shape after the harsh winter. I spent about an hour out there, my chipping and putting was surprisingly good for not practicing it much recently. I'm excited to play 18 holes tomorrow and see whether I can take my range game to the course.

Pretty cool isn't it! I've been doing this more on my wedges, anything from the 30-100 yard shots and I'm finding the exact same thing. My ball flight is more penetrating and the ball seems to be going further. On a full 60 degree wedge with weight even I'm good for about 80-85 yards. But I was hitting the 60 degree with 3/4 swings, weight about 60/40 front and was getting to that 80 yard mark. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back