Thread: Miyazaki Shafts - International Flex Code

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 57,627 Times in 11,935 Posts

Miyazaki Shafts - International Flex Code

On the home page right now we have a preview on the upcoming shafts from Miyazaki and their international flex code. It is quite cool and something we feel is extremely different. Check it out and let us know your thoughts.

The Hackers Paradise A Preview of Endless Possibilities
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

Handicap
    Thanks
    Bump for pm readers.

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts

Handicap
    SCRTCH/0
    Thanks
    good read. thanks JB.
    08 Staff Bag

Driver: 8.5 Burner TP 09
    3W: R9 TP T3
    2W: Rescue TP 09
    3-PW: TP MB Smoke & R9 TP
    56 ZTP
    60 ZTP
    Putter: Studio Select Newport
    Ball: TP Red
    GPS: 1600 Pro Edition

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GMDNP1 View Post
    good read. thanks JB.
    This one could become a true innovation of sorts and I am just glad that THP can help get the word out.

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts

Handicap
    Exploding
    Thanks
    So is every manufacturer adopting this international flex code? If not, then it just applies to this manufacturer and would really be no different than what everybody else does except they are using numbers vs. words. So say the Miyazaki shaft I need is 6699, I look over at a Aldila and I would find a shaft that has similar characteristics. I guess I am missing the innovation here besides them just starting a new way to rate their shafts?
    WITB
    Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 8.5*
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade SLDR Mini 12*, SLDR 3w HL 17*
    Irons: 4,5 Cleveland Altitudes 6,7,8 588MT, 9,PW,DW 588TT
    Wedges: Vokey 54,60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo Belly

Handicap
    Thanks
    The goal is that SRI could have 10 lines all using this. HOWEVER, it is not just about that. It is about the fact that NO other company is breaking it down in 10 inch increments. Not only could we be looking at the future of measurement, we could be looking at the future of how they measure.

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts

Handicap
    Thanks
    I think I'm more confused now that before. But I understood very little about the traditional ratings either, beyond the flex rating. Torque & kick-point were measurements I didn't understand, and when someone said they "tipped" a shaft I was absolutely confused.

The new confusions is, how does stiffness at the tip relate to the other areas. More stiffness in the tip vs. less = how whippy they feel, or shows where the kick-point would be (ie, the break from stiffer to less-stiff?)?

I'd probably be a fitter's dream, since I wouldn't question them much.
    What's In The AMP Xtreme/ Monza Featherweight*:
    Driver: J38 9.5*
    Woods: 4DX Fairway 3 Wood (15*) & 4DX Utility 4 Wood (17*)
    Hybrids: 3DX RC - 3 (20*), 4 (23*)
    Irons: 3DX RC 5-PW
    Wedges: ARC 54* Matte Chrome & 60* PVD*
    Putter: Two-Bar Hybrid Mallet
    Ball: e7
    Shoes: Harpia

* Won via contest, thank you TaylorMade & THP! * Courtesy of THP

Handicap
    Ghin 6
    Thanks
    I didn't know shafts were this complicated.

How well can a fitter at a big-box store actually fit you? It seems with so many different variations of the shaft, you need some sophisticated methods of coming up with the best fit...

Banned
    Handicap
    Humane
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like this is just a variation of what Ralph Maltby has been doing for years at Golfworks with his "Shaft Playability Factor" which breaks a shaft down into five categories: Flex, Weight, Torque, Bend Point and Tip Stiffness.

In Maltby's system, a player's abilities are broken down categorically and he or she is assigned a number or letter for each of the categories which results in an alpha-numeric code. All of the shafts sold by Golfworks (and there are hundreds of shafts from dozens of manufacturers) are assigned various "Playability Codes" based upon each shaft's specifications which results in an alpha-numeric code for every shaft Golfworks sells.

All that needs to be done is to match a player's code with a shaft that also matches that code and the player then has a shaft which has characteristics that are suited to that player's game. The added bonus here is that unlike Miyazaki which is only offering their own shafts, the Maltby code is applied to every brand name shaft they sell as well as shafts produced by Golfworks.

-JP

Handicap
    Thanks
    While the Maltby code helped with fitting, I do not see the resemblance here other than using a code. I would compare his code more to the Graphite Design Aura line than this. He took a player and gave them a code and found a shaft that matched that code. That does not have a whole lot to do with a company breaking shafts down to 10 inch increments and giving a code for every 10 inches to make sure a player finds the ideal shaft for their complete game.

There are a lot of reasons why the Maltby code did not catch on and part of it was because it was not very accurate in finding matches outside of shaft flex. It was fine for basic fitting, but the upper echelon of player would NEVER use such a thing because the shafts were not built to specs using that code.

I used it a while back and thought it was a neat tool, again, very similar to the Graphite Design Aura. It was not much more than a guessing game because the shafts were not built to the code and rather the other way around.

Here lies the problem, none of the shaft companies manufacture based on this code and never will use it. And NOT A SINGLE SHAFT COMPANY has ever measured in 10 inch increments to give a player the ultimate in fitting. Miyazaki shafts will change that and have changed that. Miyazaki is not just doing this for fitting. It is being done to create the perfect shafts for people, the consumer. You are looking at two totally different things and assuming because they are codes for fitting shafts that they are similar.
    Last edited by JB; 11-23-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts

Handicap
    Exploding
    Thanks
    Just sounds like marketing hype to me. Time will tell if this catches on. Sometimes breaking things down even further doesn't need to be done and is just overkill.
    WITB
    Driver: TaylorMade R9 460 8.5*
    Fairway Wood: TaylorMade SLDR Mini 12*, SLDR 3w HL 17*
    Irons: 4,5 Cleveland Altitudes 6,7,8 588MT, 9,PW,DW 588TT
    Wedges: Vokey 54,60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo Belly

Banned
    Handicap
    Humane
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    While the Maltby code helped with fitting, I do not see the resemblance here other than using a code. I would compare his code more to the Graphite Design Aura line than this. He took a player and gave them a code and found a shaft that matched that code. That does not have a whole lot to do with a company breaking shafts down to 10 inch increments and giving a code for every 10 inches to make sure a player finds the ideal shaft for their complete game.

There are a lot of reasons why the Maltby code did not catch on and part of it was because it was not very accurate in finding matches outside of shaft flex. It was fine for basic fitting, but the upper echelon of player would NEVER use such a thing because the shafts were not built to specs using that code.

I used it a while back and thought it was a neat tool, again, very similar to the Graphite Design Aura. It was not much more than a guessing game because the shafts were not built to the code and rather the other way around.

Here lies the problem, none of the shaft companies manufacture based on this code and never will use it. And NOT A SINGLE SHAFT COMPANY has ever measured in 10 inch increments to give a player the ultimate in fitting. Miyazaki shafts will change that and have changed that. Miyazaki is not just doing this for fitting. It is being done to create the perfect shafts for people, the consumer. You are looking at two totally different things and assuming because they are codes for fitting shafts that they are similar.

I understand what the Miyazaki system is trying to do and if it's as accurate as it seems, then it's obviously a step up from the Maltby code, but it does seem as if it may have used Maltby's basic idea.

I think the main reason why Maltby's system never really took off is because Golfworks is a component company and most people wouldn't know anything about it. Add to that the fact that manufacturers classifications vary widely and you do have a flawed, if well intentioned, system. But Maltby isn't completely wrong and I'd bet that he's had a fair amount of success (or at least satisfied customers) in his ability to match equipment to players overall.

-JP

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPsuff View Post
    I understand what the Miyazaki system is trying to do and if it's as accurate as it seems, then it's obviously a step up from the Maltby code, but it does seem as if it may have used Maltby's basic idea.

I think the main reason why Maltby's system never really took off is because Golfworks is a component company and most people wouldn't know anything about it. Add to that the fact that manufacturers classifications vary widely and you do have a flawed, if well intentioned, system. But Maltby isn't completely wrong and I'd bet that he's had a fair amount of success (or at least satisfied customers) in his ability to match equipment to players overall.

-JP
    You seem to be missing the point a little bit on this. Maltby's system is used by the fitter to determine a shaft will fit based on flex, trajectory, and everything else. It is no different than any other system a fitter uses, however he simplified it. No shaft company uses his system and no shaft company ever really would because it is far too general.

What makes this different is NO shaft has ever been rated every 10 inches. It is the shaft that is unique much more so than the fitting aspect. Sure fitting by code is great and the international flex code will make that better than ever for a fitter. But in the end, you still have to find the right code whether it be by this, Maltby, or anything else.

This is about the shaft! Not about the fitting. The fitting is an added bonus!!!!!!

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts