Ladies input please?

To further that, we went to a local store and she tried tons of drivers. Most were 13 or 14*. She had it narrowed down to the Ping and the TM. I think we might drop the Graphite Design Aura Ladies shaft in it when they hit the market. But she hits that driver great.

We went looking at clubs today just for fun, what is with TM making the ladies '09 Burner at 46 1/4"?

Reactions: JB
I didn't know they did. Wow! I am sure it is to increase distance, but I know most will have to cut that down.

I didn't know they did. Wow! I am sure it is to increase distance, but I know most will have to cut that down.

Yeah that length is to long for most men. I'm playing mine at 45" and still choke down a 1/2" or inch.

You may have already bought the clubs since this is an older post, but just in case...
I just wanted to add to make sure you check the grip size in addition to the length. Most women's clubs are a smaller grip, which she may or may not need. This killed me when I first started golfing, I couldn't grip the club correctly and keep the face square. I would also just check out her swing speed. That is no money at most shops and will tell you what shafts are best for her, she might be best with a senior or men's shaft which would solve the length issue. Also, make sure you encourage her to try out the clubs. It can be tough for a woman in a golf shop.
Good Luck!

My wife started off witha cheap womans Acuity set from Dicks, I think it had maybe 6 clubs total. I have upgraded her bag since including a new bag. All womans clubs except for the putter, not even sure if there is such a thing as a womans putter.

Tour edge moda driver
Ping G2 3-5-7 woods
TM 6 iron hybrid
Golden bear irons....I hate em but they were cheap & will be upgraded asasp.
TM Rac Sand wedge
TM Daytona putter

I believe she may have an Adams PW as well.

I started out with a starter set (Wilson). After a few months and progression in my golf swing, my coach recommended me to get custom fitted for clubs. My husband and I ordered a set from Gigagolf. They adjusted the length, grip size, and allowed me to pick the shaft for each club. I played with those clubs for a about six months until my swing speed, trajectory, and dispersion improved.

After that I start buying and experimenting with different clubs. I chose this path, because numerous pro shops see a female and automatically direct you to the ladies section.

Finally, after spending an insane amount of money, I found a pro shop that custom fitted me properly. They used a launch monitor, static and a lie board fitting. An example: My static measurements recommend me using a women's standard length minus 1", but my lie board measurements showed a plus .5" length 2 degree upright. I have more of an upright stance. Plus the additional length in my irons allowed me to gain 10 yards of distance per club.

All of my clubs were fitted with senior flex men's shafts versus women's shafts. I changed clubs again in September 08 and was custom fitted my Callaway. My entire set is Callaway except for my Nike hybrids. All clubs still have the senior flex shafts. The torque rating for my driver and woods are 3.5. The trajectory is great and dispersion is narrow.

My next step is to try out after market shafts hoping to provide me some additional distance.

I share this story, hoping to prevent others from wasting money on numerous sets because:

A: They do not test the clubs prior to purchase.
B: They do not get custom fitted with the use of a launch monitor, lie board, etc.
C: They do not find an individual that understands golf completely and won't stereotype a women golfer as someone who needs whippy shafts and high lofted clubs.

Hope this helps.

I C: They do not find an individual that understands golf completely and won't stereotype a women golfer as someone who needs whippy shafts and high lofted clubs.

Hope this helps.

I know a lot of men who could benefit from whippy shafts & high lofted clubs, yet the ego gets in the way.:cool:

Glad to hear you found someone willing to work with you.

Let me add my 2 cents, My wife started playing last year, shortly after I restarted playing. I suggested a cheap starter set like I started with. She knew someone at work who makes custom clubs, so she went to him and got some nike clones custom made for around 400. I was so impressed with the clubs and the job the guy did I had a set of clones made for myself(around the same price), I have started to replace my clubs, but she still uses hers. I guess my point is if you know someone who builds clubs for a hobby and want custom clubs for her, and you can afford more than the starter set but not the name brand this is an option. Google "clone golf clubs" for ideas.
Hope this helps.

Finally, after spending an insane amount of money, I found a pro shop that custom fitted me properly. They used a launch monitor, static and a lie board fitting. An example: My static measurements recommend me using a women's standard length minus 1", but my lie board measurements showed a plus .5" length 2 degree upright. I have more of an upright stance. Plus the additional length in my irons allowed me to gain 10 yards of distance per club.

All of my clubs were fitted with senior flex men's shafts versus women's shafts. I changed clubs again in September 08 and was custom fitted my Callaway. My entire set is Callaway except for my Nike hybrids. All clubs still have the senior flex shafts. The torque rating for my driver and woods are 3.5. The trajectory is great and dispersion is narrow.

I totally agree with you that it can be tough to find someone in a golf shop who will take you seriously. That can definitely be frustrating. I am thinking of going to a Callaway Performance Center to get their fitting done, what did you think of it versus other club fittings? Thanks!

Thanks for the continues input guys, unfortunately I don't need the input anymore but I'm sure there are other guys out there who want ideas for their Mrs.

Yeah, I still haven't bought for mine, and I've found the discussion very informative.

Yeah, I still haven't bought for mine, and I've found the discussion very informative.

Yeah maybe my next girlfriend will play golf already, that would be nice...

For her I have to keep in mind she is taller than most, 5'8" or 5'9". We've been to the range and stores a few times, so far she prefers the sets that are heavy on the hybrids. She also is not a fan of steel shafts.

ActionJackson8...I'm between 5'9" & 5'10" and I started playing last year. I was lucky to have a neighbour give me her 2-3 year old set of Nike Slingshots because she was upgrading to a new set of Slingshots [in really good condition]. They have standard length shafts and I don't have a problem with the length.

My advice is get her lessons from the start, I think it will make a world of difference. Otherwise I think you will find she will get frustrated and give up. After she has developed some consistency with her swing, then I would look at upgrading.

I wouldn't say go out and buy the cheap set you can find [unless your budget is tight], I'd recommend to get her a good quality set that's in your price range.

Not sure if my thoughts help but you can have them anyway! [Typical women hey???] :banana:

Last edited:
Tex, I am not quite as short as your wife but I am 5'0" and the standard beginners set worked just fine for me.

GolferGal22...I'd be interested to see the list of what you play with. How long you have been playing? You can just say if I'm being too nosey! :secret:

GolferGal22...I'd be interested to see the list of what you play with. How long you have been playing? You can just say if I'm being too nosey! :secret:

Well technically I have been playing for 5 years but I never took it seriously until about a year and a half ago. I used to play with my grandfather but it was more just having fun at the driving range or playing a few holes on the course (he lived on a golf course). I never had a proper swing or anything like that, then about a year and a half ago I started getting lessons and really taking the game seriously. When I played with my grandfather I played some seriously old clubs that were my grandmothers, I couldn't even tell you what they were called....to be honest I never really paid too much attention.

When I started back I decided to do it the right way so I got a beginners set with everything included just to learn the game and then I figured I would start replacing my bag slowly. I started with the driver, I picked up a TM Burner (which I LOVE) and then moved to the hybrids. I tried a ladies Adams set but didn't love it....I realize now the importance of getting fitted. At the moment I am testing out the brand new ladies Nickent 3DX RC. I will have a review on them soon. Anyhow I hope that answers your questions.

Yeah maybe my next girlfriend will play golf already, that would be nice...

same situation... people who don't play just don't understand what the game is all about

Top notch! Best fitting, I ever had. In addition, they assign you a personal rep that will be you POC forever or until they leave the company.

I totally agree with you that it can be tough to find someone in a golf shop who will take you seriously. That can definitely be frustrating. I am thinking of going to a Callaway Performance Center to get their fitting done, what did you think of it versus other club fittings? Thanks!

They do great fittings, but I still prefer going to someone that has zero stake in what I will buy. Or atleast someone with multiple club lines. If you are already sold on Callaway, than that is the way to go.

They do great fittings, but I still prefer going to someone that has zero stake in what I will buy. Or atleast someone with multiple club lines. If you are already sold on Callaway, than that is the way to go.

I see your point and agree.

Reactions: JB
I see your point and agree.

one of the faults with demo days... they'll throw you on launch monitors and from time to time you see some strange things. I've seen some large numbers thrown my way that I know are not correct (say, 287 carry from a Titleist rep with a 907D2 in my hands... nope, that is simply wrong)

The offer still stands, WSE; you only have to pay for shipping.

Top notch! Best fitting, I ever had. In addition, they assign you a personal rep that will be you POC forever or until they leave the company.

Thanks, I play Callaways now and like them, but am looking to do the fitting at a golf store that has the Callaway, but also other brands.

Back