No sympathy here.

He broke the rules, broke the law, and he's getting $25 million a year.

He can choke on it for all I care. (They all can, but he's a good start.)

If he denied it, he would have been crucified. When he came clean, he is getting crucified. He came clean the same way Andy Petite did and he is getting no where near the same treatment. He messed up, owned up for it. If this was a true fan favorite, he would not have this same treatment.

At least he won't be going to jail for lying to a Grand Jury. Like what's going to happen to at least a couple of players (I hope).

At least he won't be going to jail for lying to a Grand Jury. Like what's going to happen to at least a couple of players (I hope).

Without Anderson talking I don't think they will ever nail Bonds, he won't flip on himself.

I think it was 2004, but I could be wrong.

Steroids were a banned substance before 2004 (not sure on the exact year), but there were no PENALTIES until 2004.

Steroids were a banned substance before 2004 (not sure on the exact year), but there were no PENALTIES until 2004.
They started testing in 2004 and handing down penalties in 2005. I know in 2002 the Government started pressing MLB to get control of it.

They started testing in 2004 and handing down penalties in 2005. I know in 2002 the Government started pressing MLB to get control of it.

My bad, a year off.

Re Pettite, and I may be talking out of my a**, but wasn't he properly prescribed the drugs because he medically needed it to recover from an injury? Maybe that explanation is BS, but I thought I recall something along those lines that would distinguish the A-Rod situation. I guess I could google, but easier just to assert it from memory and be told I'm wrong!

Re Pettit, and I may be talking out of my a**, but wasn't he properly prescribed the drugs because he medically needed it to recover from an injury? Maybe that explanation is BS, but I thought I recall something along those lines that would distinguish the A-Rod situation. I guess I could google, but easier just to assert it from memory!
No, I think Pettite was getting the HGH from Macnamee.

I think you're right Gas, I believe he obtained the HGH from McNamee and said it was to recover quicker from an injury.

I think you're right Gas, I believe he obtained the HGH from McNamee and said it was to recover quicker from an injury.

That is true. (the injury part)

McGuire hit 70 in 1998, and it's a "legal" 70. maybe they banned it at the end of the year?

Again, I think you're right. Andro wasn't banned until after the fact, which is ridiculous. You could buy the stuff over the counter at any supplement shop.

McGuire hit 70 in 1998, and it's a "legal" 70. maybe they banned it at the end of the year?
Yep, remember the interview where it was in the background at the top of his locker. I might be wrong, but I think you could buy Andro at GNC at the time. Im not really a asterisk kind of guy, I believe if you break the record its yours.

Yep, remember the interview where it was in the background at the top of his locker. I might be wrong, but I think you could buy Andro at GNC at the time. Im not really a asterisk kind of guy, I believe if you break the record its yours.

I can tell you from experience that GNC didn't sell Andro, at least in my area. I was heavy into weight training at the time and was buying it from another supplement store. I think, not sure on this, GNC pulled Andro from the shelves about the time McGuire got "caught" taking it.

I can tell you from experience that GNC didn't sell Andro, at least in my area. I was heavy into weight training at the time and was buying it from another supplement store. I think, not sure on this, GNC pulled Andro from the shelves about the time McGuire got "caught" taking it.

It was definitely over-the-counter though.

The GNCs down here sure did.

Yankee fan here, I never wanted Giambi or A-Rod. Giambi was a mere shell of himself after coming to NY. Solo shot homers being his specialty and never becoming the Ruthian slugger that Steinbrenner wanted. A-Rod just is not my style of player. Too much money, too much celebrity, too many A-Rod this and A-Rod that stories. He has never shown the class, team first, and quiet dignity that Jeter shows every day on and off the field. I run into many Bosox fans and they all respect Jeter and would love to have him even now but are not as enamored with A-Rod despite his numbers.

ESPN is reporting that Tejada is being charged with lying to Congress about his use of steroids.

ESPN is reporting that Tejada is being charged with lying to Congress about his use of steroids.

Wow. Any idea whose bringing that case? I.e., a local US Atty Office, or DOJ?

That one I have a harder time getting behind than the Bonds charge -- at least the investigation he obstructed by perjury was a valid one into a huge illegal drug selling operation. The congressional investigation was just grand standing.

Wow. Any idea whose bringing that case? I.e., a local US Atty Office, or DOJ?

That one I have a harder time getting behind than the Bonds charge -- at least the investigation he obstructed by perjury was a valid one into a huge illegal drug selling operation. The congressional investigation was just grand standing.

Nevermind, found it. It is not an indictment, but an information. The DC US Atty office is charging him with a misdemeanor, 2 U.S.C. section 192, which is "Refusal of witness to testify or produce papers." He's looking at a short period of probation I'll bet. Probably a plea deal produced the misdemeanor charge -- there is a felony obstruction statute for lies to Congress, which would have been a jail time felony, as well as a felony false statement statute, which would also probably be probation, but as a felon he would have all that baggage. I'll bet they worked out a deal where he get's the misdo in return for the agreeing to plead.

Back