Mizuno Launches MX-700 Line

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Press release

Mizuno, the leader in golf technology and innovation, introduces their longest and most forgiving woods and hybrids yet, the mx-700 family featuring distance enhancing "hot metal" technology. The mx-700 driver, fairway woods, and hybrids stand out thanks to the use of new, state of the art face materials and confidence inspiring geometric designs, creating unbelievable forgiveness and red hot ball speeds for unsurpassed distance across the series.

mx-700 driver
The mx-700 possesses the lowest and deepest cog, has the largest moi, and is by far the longest and most forgiving driver in mizuno's history. A "hot metal" ti-9 titanium face, plasma welded to a 6-4 titanium body, possesses a unique, vertically aligned grain structure which greatly expands the cor area and increases ball speed for long and straight drives, even on off-center strikes. A geometrically driven head shape provides an extremely low and deep cog and a centrally located sweet spot for enhanced vertical stability, resulting in low spin and a high, penetrating ball flight. Additionally, mizuno's "power hull" body construction utilizes internal reinforcements for powerful feel and sound, and a strategically designed crown decal makes alignment easy at address.

"The ti-9 'hot metal' face in the mx-700 is the first of its kind, and is designed to enhance initial ball velocity from every spot on the club face." said dick lyons, vp and general manager, mizuno usa golf. "this breakthrough face technology combined with an optimized launch angle, spin rate, cor area, and moment of inertia make the mx-700 the longest and most forgiving driver you're going to find."

Available lofts: 9.5°, 10.5°, 12° in right hand. 9.5° and 10.5° in left hand.
Standard shaft: Mizuno's exsar ds4™ graphite (regular, stiff).
Standard grip: Mizuno/golf pride m-21 58 round.
Custom options are available through mizuno's custom club department.
Suggested retail price: $360

mx-700 fairway woods
The same "hot metal" technology that makes the mx-700™ driver one of the most explosive in golf, can also be found in the new mx-700™ fairway woods through an extremely strong, thin, and light weight es230 steel face. This innovative face is plasma welded to a stainless steel 17-4 body, delivering an expanded cor area and increased ball speed for amazing energy transfer from club head to ball and maximum distance. The ultra light weight "hot metal" face also allows for the redistribution of weight for a low and deep cog resulting in a high, easy launch and optimal trajectory. The mx-700 fairway woods share the same strategically designed crown decal as the driver for easy alignment from the tee box as well as from the fairway. In addition, the mizuno exsar fs4 shaft is specifically designed for fairway wood performance, not just a cut-down driver shaft which is often the case with typical fairway woods.

"We've noticed that our tour players in particular have been asking for 'hotter' performance from their fairway woods recently. The requests for hot faces used to be confined to driver, but these guys are trying to squeeze out every possible yard." said david llewellyn, golf club r&d manager, mizuno usa. "with smaller headed designs like fairways and hybrids, it isn't easy to get that 'hot feel' - the smaller face area is more rigid. But by using the new es230 steel used in the mx-700s we've done everything we can from a material perspective. The 700's feel extremely lively at impact and i think amateurs are going to love this advancement just as much as the pros."

Available lofts: 15.0° (3-wood), 18.0° (5-wood), and 21.0° (7-wood) in right hand.
15° and 18° in left hand.
Standard shaft: Mizuno's exsar fs4™ graphite (regular, stiff).
Suggested retail price: $240

mx-700 hybrids
Rounding out the mx-700 family is a high performance hybrid with an extremely strong, thin and light weight es230 "hot metal" steel face, plasma welded to a 431 stainless steel body for an expanded cor area resulting in extremely high, long, and accurate golf shots. In addition, a patented "drop down crown" design creates a very low and deep cog for an easy launch, and allows the mx-700 hybrids to be completely lie and loft adjustable, something that only mizuno offers. Again, mizuno has designed a shaft specifically for maximum hybrid performance in the mizuno exsar hs4, which comes standard in the mx-700 hybrids.

"'Hot metal' technology is truly a breakthrough in face technology because it can be utilized into the design of not only drivers, but fairway woods and hybrids as well." said dick lyons, vp and general manager, mizuno usa golf. "the use of high tech es230 steel as the face material in the mx-700 hybrid increases the cor, or trampoline effect across the entire face, making it feel like the ball explodes off the face with each and every swing."

Available lofts: 17°, 20°, 23°, and 26° in right hand. 20° and 23° in left hand.
Standard shaft: Mizuno's exsar hs4™ graphite (regular, stiff).
Suggested retail price: $200

The mx-700™ series will be available in stores mid-february, 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:
JB, Any information regarding the face setup of the new driver, woods, and hybrids. Are they closed, neutral, or open? Thanks.

• Admin
I do not know yet CG. But I have put a call into our contact there.

might have to check these out. i am a huge fan of mizuno irons, but i have never really been into their drivers and i have no experience with their fairway metals

JB, Any information regarding the face setup of the new driver, woods, and hybrids. Are they closed, neutral, or open? Thanks.
Dont quote me on this, but Id bet they are neutral. Ive never known Mizuno to make a, "draw" version of their woods.

might have to check these out. i am a huge fan of mizuno irons, but i have never really been into their drivers and i have no experience with their fairway metals
I'll tell you this, I am absolutely in love with my MX-560 driver and my F-60 4-wood. So easy to hit and they perform so well, not the mention the craftsmanship and attention to detail is amazing.

I also will rave about the Mizuno MX-560 driver. Explosive contact, forgiving and long.

• Admin
I am on the opposite side. I did not care for the MX-560. I felt it lacked the hot face of some of the other drivers out there.

I am on the opposite side. I did not care for the MX-560. I felt it lacked the hot face of some of the other drivers out there.

thats how i felt. i just couldnt seem to really connect with it. i want to hit this new 700 line, but for now the dymos will fulfill my needs. they just need to get here

• Admin
The DYMO is one of the best I have ever hit.

i honestly cant wait. i stood over one at address in a friends garage a few weeks ago and it suited my eye, and since i really like the sumo 5000 i have very high expectations, which i am extremely confident they will fill

Seems like Mizuno, which has historically gotten such high marks for its forged irons (fading a bit lately, though), never has received much interest for its woods and hybrids. Wonder why? Is the technological leap from iron to drivers/woods design so wide? Obviously it is a much different thing to move from high level forging processes to plasma welds, titanium faces, and extreme MOI/COG designs for drivers, so maybe so. Just seems like Mizuno is a company that ought to be able to bring it home with the hollow clubs the way it does with the solid ones, yet for a while now hasn't managed to (while relative upstarts like Nike are taking names).

Yeah Mizuno is awesome with ironas but I felt both the MX-560 and MP-600 Drivers were lacking compared to the market around them.

CG,
this is straight from the R&D team.

Josh,
Anything for THP. Here is the answer to the MX-700 question. The 9.5 degree has a square clubface, the 10.5 is .5 degree closed and the 12 degree is 1 degree.

Seems like Mizuno, which has historically gotten such high marks for its forged irons (fading a bit lately, though), never has received much interest for its woods and hybrids. Wonder why? Is the technological leap from iron to drivers/woods design so wide? Obviously it is a much different thing to move from high level forging processes to plasma welds, titanium faces, and extreme MOI/COG designs for drivers, so maybe so. Just seems like Mizuno is a company that ought to be able to bring it home with the hollow clubs the way it does with the solid ones, yet for a while now hasn't managed to (while relative upstarts like Nike are taking names).
Id say its marketing. Mizuno wont sponsor everyone and everyone like TM and Titleist will and you dont see them spending as much money on marketing like the others do.
IMO, Mizzie's woods/hybrids are just as good as anyone else's and even though they lag a bit in distance, it isnt by much and what they give up in distance they more than make up for in forgiviness.

COming straight from Mizuno today.

"We are an iron company that also makes other clubs".

We had a great talk with them and will be reviewing their new stuff very soon.

thats probably why i am in love with their irons and havent found much going with their other stuff

They definetly are known most for making great irons. I still think they are very much downplaying their woods and hybrids though.
Not that Im surprised, its not like the Japanese to toot their own horn very much. They simply do their best and let the product do the talking.
I'll definetly be interested to read your review.

I know Mizuno as a whole is a Japanese company, but the people at Mizuno USA are very different. It has nothing to do IMHO with the fact that they have roots in Japan. To me that would be like calling Cleveland a Japanese clubmaker because of Srixon. They are two very different lines.

I know Mizuno as a whole is a Japanese company, but the people at Mizuno USA are very different. It has nothing to do IMHO with the fact that they have roots in Japan. To me that would be like calling Cleveland a Japanese clubmaker because of Srixon. They are two very different lines.

unfortuntely JB is right... Mizuno benefits big time from market perception. I am not saying that the quality is any less but the forgings are different between the US and Japan.

unfortuntely JB is right... Mizuno benefits big time from market perception. I am not saying that the quality is any less but the forgings are different between the US and Japan.

I thought this had come up before, so I looked. (I know I need to get a life)
There is also a difference in their construction. I'd be incredibly surprised if Mizuno's here were Japanese forged, because I don't think they are.

Yesterday I e-mailed Mizuno and asked them this very question.
I asked them where their clubs are designed and where they are manufacturered. Today, I got a reply and here is what they said:
Quote:
"Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA. Our clubs are designed in both the United States and Japan and our forged products are made in Japan. All of our woods and cast products are made in China. All Mizuno USA clubs are assembled in the United States. We appreciate your time and interest."

hmmm that is interesting...

Back