Blumenherst declines Kraft Nabisco invite

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/blogs/localknowledge/2009/02/blumenherst-dec.html

Blumenherst declines Kraft Nabisco invite

It's rare that a player would decline an invitation to play in a major championship, but Duke star Amanda Blumenherst has done just that, rejecting an invitation to play in the Kraft Nabisco Championship in April.

Blumenherst, according to the Desert Sun newspaper, intends to turn professional this summer. She wants to save the six sponsors' exemptions allowed to non-members of the LPGA to use when she can accept prize money, in an attempt to play her way onto the LPGA.

The most recent example of a player declining an opportunity to play in a major is that of Colt Knost, a PGA Tour member. When Knost won the U.S. Amateur Public Links and later the U.S. Amateur in 2007, he had invitations to play in the Masters, the U.S. Open and the British Open. Instead, he forfeited them all by choosing to turn pro.

A decision based on Stacy Lewis' past season I'm sure.

A decision based on Stacy Lewis' past season I'm sure.

It didn't really work for Lewis though. She declined last year and still didn't earn enough money through sponsors' exemptions to avoid Q-School. (But only because the U.S. Women's Open money doesn't count as official earnings for the LPGA.)

That is what I am saying, if Stacy had declined the Open she would have had an additional exemption to make that money.

That is what I am saying, if Stacy had declined the Open she would have had an additional exemption to make that money.

I didn't think the Open counted as one of the exemptions because it's not an LPGA event.

Wasn't the deal that she didn't turn pro far enough in advance of the Open for it to qualify? And that if had been a pro early enough in the season (before the Curtis Cup, no doubt), it would have qualified? I recall some commentary about that.

Wasn't the deal that she didn't turn pro far enough in advance of the Open for it to qualify? And that if had been a pro early enough in the season (before the Curtis Cup, no doubt), it would have qualified? I recall some commentary about that.

If I understand it correctly, the money only counts toward the LPGA money list if the player is already an LPGA member. It isn't used for calculating if a non-member can get her card via the LPGA official money list.

It's a ridiculous rule.

U.S. Women's Open money does not count toward the non-member qualification via LPGA Official Money List

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=18318&mid=1

If I understand it correctly, the money only counts toward the LPGA money list if the player is already an LPGA member. It isn't used for calculating if a non-member can get her card via the LPGA official money list.

It's a ridiculous rule.

Should have known you'd say it better than I. You always do.

Back