Fall (Autumn) greens aeration is well upon us in the northeast :( and...

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
...that is the certain sign that the season is coming to an end :(

Of my 5 county tracks they decided to cancel one course from being aerated. I assume they must have good "greens care" reason for that. Its also good we have one course without any holes :)

Anyway leaves are beginning to fall, I am seeing pumpkins every where and even seeing some Christmas commercials.

I actually love the "Fall" season but as for golf - all I can say is that Summer goes way toooooo fast :(

You folks down south are lucky.

They did the city course here last Tuesday (aerated and top dressed) , and we played Sunday.

Surprisingly, the greens played more consistently than they had the previous 2 times we had played them. Aside from having to clean sand/pebbles off your ball/putter all day, it played decent.

Thank goodness they have a blower to blow all the leaves off the greens though, you wouldn't be able to find a green among all the leaves otherwise.

Upon us here in the PNW as well. Went over to practice yesterday and found all the little holes just punched. Argh!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Our greens at my home track were aerated first week of September, they've already healed and are rolling well again.

Aeration is a necessary evil. Has to be done. I wouldn't frequent a course that didn't aerate.

I also like that courses up here do the aeration in non peak season. Either early spring or fall.

It has to be done and just a reminder that winter is coming. Hopefully the aeration in done well at my course.

I kinda lucked out this year. The course I joined at the beginning of the year did them about a month ago so they're all healed up at this point. The other club I just joined during their fall incentive just punched yesterday so they should be healed up in a week or two as they have a different method of doing it with really small holes.

I kinda lucked out this year. The course I joined at the beginning of the year did them about a month ago so they're all healed up at this point. The other club I just joined during their fall incentive just punched yesterday so they should be healed up in a week or two as they have a different method of doing it with really small holes.

Yeah, one of the courses I play a lot (it's a quick 9 holes), I played 2-3 weeks ago and was amazed at how bad the conditions were - greens were punched and sanded, fairways were bone dry. It's amazing what 2 weeks will do - played there the other day, and the greens were just about perfect.

Greens aeration is scheduled at my course for October 12th & 13th. The tee boxes were just done a few days ago. I love this time of year her in N. California because the weather is perfect for golf and ski season is just around the corner. I can actually hit balls on the range without sweating like crazy.

Most of the courses by me aerated right before labor day and have already grown back in

Aeration is a necessary evil. Has to be done. I wouldn't frequent a course that didn't aerate.

I also like that courses up here do the aeration in non peak season. Either early spring or fall.

It has to be done and just a reminder that winter is coming. Hopefully the aeration in done well at my course.

Yes it is what it is and has to be done. We are lucky in my county as we do have very nice courses for munis. In fact very many members of private clubs say their courses are no better.
They aerate here in both spring and fall.
None the less it still a pain especially when the season is not exactly so long to begin with. They do stagger the job on the 5 courses by about 3 weeks or so, and with that the first one starts to heel up as the last one gets done. But the whole thing depends on timely rainfalls as for just how long they heel up. With mother nature's assistance she can really help speed up the heeling process but we really have not any or much at all the past month so they are taking much longer than usual to heel being dependent on mostly only sprinkler watering.

Last edited:
At Sevierville we are lucky enough to have 2 courses at our choosing . They did the River course first a couple weeks ago in which we played about a week after. The greens still rolled very well and they took a nice $10 discount off the greens fee. They will probably do the Highland side very soon if not already when the River course greens heal.

Heck,I three putt everything anyway so I'll enjoy the little reduction in greens fee for a few lumpy bumps on the green.

Greens aeration at my course is scheduled for 10/6. They did the tee boxes last week. According to the guys there, they use smaller holes so the turnaround time is supposed to be really quick in terms of playability.

lot of the courses around here just did them in the last couple weeks. i love fall golf minus the courses that do a terrible job at leaf management

Getting some aeration email notices with green fee discounts. Cheaper is nice but I hate playing on aerated greens so at this point I'll find a course that has had it done already or doesn't need to.

I can put up with the the aeration. And the cooler weather. What I don't like is the leaves on the ground. Nothing worse than hitting a great shot and losing it in the leaves.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

This is true for some coursed but if the greens keeper take great care of the course, aeration isn't always needed. Sometimes a verticut and top dress is enough.

Getting some aeration email notices with green fee discounts. Cheaper is nice but I hate playing on aerated greens so at this point I'll find a course that has had it done already or doesn't need to.

Yea, we don't get any discount for this. But when ya think about it, doing this in itself costs money.

Yea, we don't get any discount for this. But when ya think about it, doing this in itself costs money.

I'm sure it does cost money, but I have seen many complaints, even in threads on THP from people who are aggravated when they make a teetime and show up to the course only to have aerated greens. I would think most would look at other options if this is the case so a discount might get people to play anyways.

I've always thought they should let you know when you make the tee time. A discount would be nice...

We got a round in last weekend at a course that was starting to aerate this week. Another local course started a week ago Sunday just after the last group finished.

Not sure about the closest regular course we play. They have the worst greens (of course the most play) but aren't as set in their management regimen.

I'm sure it does cost money, but I have seen many complaints, even in threads on THP from people who are aggravated when they make a teetime and show up to the course only to have aerated greens. I would think most would look at other options if this is the case so a discount might get people to play anyways.

Don't really disagree with you, I think it would too. what I hate most is when you show up and only then find out the course is playing a temp green or two. That's a real bummer and another thing that has happened from time to time and yet when it does they still charge full price anyway.

I agree that the course should tell you when you make the tee time. I've been annoyed when the poof of sand from my approach shot on the 1st green is how I first learn that the course just completed aeration. Now, I know it's necessary and I have no problem playing and a bit of a discount would be nice. However, no signs posted, clerk never mentions it during check-in... just a bit much.

We played today and had to bypass 5 greens which were in the process of being aerated, so we couldn't hit an approach shot to them. The course chooses to do the aeration during peak golf times during the day, as opposed to early morning or late afternoon. They should be sand-filled by tomorrow, bumpy for a week or two, and then OK.

I agree with previous posters that a course should tell anyone requesting a tee time of conditions that would affect play - aerated greens, temporary tee boxes and temporary greens. There are some conditions on a course that would discourage play, even with a discount or maybe even for free. I'd rather choose another course to play that is ready and set up.

We had our final (of 3 annual) punches in mid-August, the greens are perfect right now. No more punches until March.

We played today and had to bypass 5 greens which were in the process of being aerated, so we couldn't hit an approach shot to them. The course chooses to do the aeration during peak golf times during the day, as opposed to early morning or late afternoon. They should be sand-filled by tomorrow, bumpy for a week or two, and then OK.

I agree with previous posters that a course should tell anyone requesting a tee time of conditions that would affect play - aerated greens, temporary tee boxes and temporary greens. There are some conditions on a course that would discourage play, even with a discount or maybe even for free. I'd rather choose another course to play that is ready and set up.

My county does actually posts course aeration schedule on a link on the bottom of the website for all courses. So its not like they are hiding it, however its not exactly advertised nor front and center nor do they tell you when you call or book an online reservation. I would imagine due to what you just said, they probably don't want to scream it our there as it would deter players I am sure.

Back