Getting ready for tournament suggestions (long)

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I will be traveling to Casa de Campo Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for a 3 day tournament. I find that the preparation for the tournament is half the fun and i want to prepare as much as I can so that I give myself a fair shot and enjoy the experience.
I was thinking of having 4 two hour range/putting sessions, with an optional additional session if I need more fine tuning.
On the first session I would do short irons/short game. On the second session I would do tee shots/short game. After each session I would write a diary of what worked, what didn't work.
Then, on my third and fourth practice session I would repeat each workout following the blueprint that I wrote down in that diary.
If I encounter a conflict between what I wrote and reality, I will have a 5th optional practice session to make a final assessment.
I would then take those notes with me to the tournament and read them before warming up prior to each tournament round.

I would love to hear from you guys if this sounds like a reasonable plan or if you would do things very differently.

I know that some will have a good chuckle at my expense because I may be going overboard with all of this, but I love all of this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say you are over thinking it all but that is just me. I approach any tournament just like any other round of golf. Range time each day before the round starting with the shot you will hit on the first tee and then just a few other shots, followed by chipping and putting.

Hope it all goes well.

I would go there 2 days earlier to play the course, chart the yardages, get a feel putting the greens and figuring out the slopes, map out key hazards and important shots, and work my short game around the nuances of the fringes, fairways and greens.

I have a tournament this Monday, we just played the course today as a practice round. :)

Know your game and prepare to play your best with it. You aren't going to transform your swing in advance of the tourney, so I'm not sure about this plan to make notes about what worked and what didn't. In its simplest form you need to get off the tees, have a solid short game and we can't ignore our iron play....practice to those objectives. I agree with the sentiment about playing practice rounds on the course to learn it.

I would go there 2 days earlier to play the course, chart the yardages, get a feel putting the greens and figuring out the slopes, map out key hazards and important shots, and work my short game around the nuances of the fringes, fairways and greens.

I have a tournament this Monday, we just played the course today as a practice round. :)

I agree - getting to know the course is the most valuable thing that you can do. Playing, dropping some extra balls from different perspectives, rolling putts from different places on the green. Not sure how tough the course is but getting to know the course a bit and being comfortable on the greens may save more strokes than any range work will.

Also, I am of the opinion that working your stroke technically right before playing a tournament can be a mistake. Key is comfort and confidence (in my not so expert opinion) and working technical mechanics can diminish both comfort and confidence for me.

Know your game and prepare to play your best with it.

Well said. So much of golf performance on any given day is between the ears that knowing how you are playing and "feeling it" is so important.

I failed to mention that I will be playing 2 practice rounds prior to the tournament and I will write down all the pertinent information of the courses. So everything I will be doing here is in addition to that.

I will be traveling to Casa de Campo Dominican Republic in 2 weeks for a 3 day tournament. I find that the preparation for the tournament is half the fun and i want to prepare as much as I can so that I give myself a fair shot and enjoy the experience.

This. No matter what you do to prepare this has to be priority number 1. Keep it fresh. Work on stroke saver shots. Keep loose. The PGATour.com has some great videos of tour pros and what they do in their warm up leading up to the 1st tee. Watch them. You will learn a lot from this.

I failed to mention that I will be playing 2 practice rounds prior to the tournament and I will write down all the pertinent information of the courses. So everything I will be doing here is in addition to that.

Try to hit two or more balls from key positions while on your practice round without holding anyone up.

Back