Wilson Staff FG Tour Traction Control Black Wedges - THP Preview

These look great, and I like the look of the differences in the sole.

i really like wilson's newer irons and wedges. they just dont have a lot of places that sell them and being less popular its hard to find deals on them.

wow, those are sharp looking wedges! Nice thoughts so far Dan.

Wow, these are some bad boys. I was at Wells Fargo Pro Am yesterday and noticed that each of the four Wilson guys there had at least one or two of these in the bag.(Now they need to play the Driver)
Wilson Staff is making a smart move. They do not have to attack the big guys. Would not work now anyway. They are re-building a foundation with great product from balls, bags, to clubs.
I hope they reach out to the consumer next. Although I have stopped getting GD and Golf in paper I think they should be in both to say to the consumer "here we are". I do respect what they are doing in social media but I fear a lot of that group are to young to have disposable income.
Just the fact that there are three different Wilson threads on page one of the Forum is a step in the right direction.
Just love to see good American brands survive and hopefully thrive :wilsonstaff:

That finish looks awesome. Can't wait to hear more about these.

The Tour

20140430_152402-L.jpg

The Traditional

20140430_152355-L.jpg
That tour grind is awesome!

That PVD finish is awesome looking, not sure on the traction control logo but the W/S badge looks awesome

agree that traction control looks more in place on a snow tire. Still would not be a deal killer. Just need to do something else next time.

Been playing the TC's (50 & 56) with the tour grind since they first came available. They are the real deal; a viable alternative to Vokey, Cleveland, Fourteen, and others.

Wilson Staff FG Tour Traction Control Black Wedges - THP Preview

Wish they had these in left hand...

Those are very slick.

Nice pix & write-up so far Dan! I really like the looks of these wedges - I'm interested to see what you think of them! Do you have a preference on the finish?

Grins, I definitely prefer the look of a dark finish wedge, I just have crazy issues about wear over time. I like wedges that appear clean. Much like you can predict with a black PVD finish, they slowly lighten over time. As I have spent a handful of hours with the Wilson FG Tour wedges around the practice green and in the bunker, it's no surprise to me that the wear has slowly begun scratching on the sole.

The weighting is really nice. Confidence on full swings and easy, natural swings at the ball around the green produce quality results.

Spin on full swings can be generated relatively easy, however more typical is my drop dead approach shots that perform as expected. The tour sole is incredibly easy to open around the greens, although the traditional head performs admirably on flopped rough shots and open faced bunker shots.

How is the spin spin from tight lies close to the green?

How is the spin spin from tight lies close to the green?

It grips well with the face open which is my preferred shot. Even pitch shots generate a nice bit of bite before rolling out.

Sound like the wedges are very solid all around, are they generating the bite on the green with out chewing up the ball?

Sound like the wedges are very solid all around, are they generating the bite on the green with out chewing up the ball?

I'm not having ball wear issues, although much of what I've been using them with have been the range balls at my course.

Another idea on the landing, I had a really tight and short bunker shot (maybe 10 feet) and was able to open the tour sole face enough to flop it softly in front of the hole, rolling out to maybe a couple feet. It's basically exactly what you'd want from that position.

I think the weight does a nice job of letting the club rip through rough and sand.

That's good stuff Dan and reason why I like the heavier headed wedges.

Are you using the dots on the grips for choking down to take a couple yards off?

That's good stuff Dan and reason why I like the heavier headed wedges.

Are you using the dots on the grips for choking down to take a couple yards off?

It's not really something I've put a lot of thought into. I'll give it a whirl next time out and see if the visual helps for specific spots.

Nice thoughts so far Dan. Not sure if you have them or not but are you able to compare them to the MD2 and new TM TP wedges?

Those are beautiful! there's just something about the satin wedges that grabs me, I also like the multi bounce functionality.

Nice thoughts so far Dan. Not sure if you have them or not but are you able to compare them to the MD2 and new TM TP wedges?

I don't have enough time with either of those wedges to really offer a sound comparison, although I've never been much for direction wedge to wedge comparisons anyways.

Is there something particular you're interested in that I could offer thoughts on?

I don't have enough time with either of those wedges to really offer a sound comparison, although I've never been much for direction wedge to wedge comparisons anyways.

Is there something particular you're interested in that I could offer thoughts on?

Thanks for the reply Dan. I just ask because im after some new wedges when I go on holiday, but Im not sure if I will get to try different wedges out, so im trying to figure out which ones to look at the most.

Thanks for the reply Dan. I just ask because im after some new wedges when I go on holiday, but Im not sure if I will get to try different wedges out, so im trying to figure out which ones to look at the most.

That's such a tough thing because it's so personal when you get down to the wedge shots, especially for those who play the more traditional wedge.

The Wilson offers a very nice top line, consistent solid weighting through the swing, and variations that would please a variety of wedge players.

That's such a tough thing because it's so personal when you get down to the wedge shots, especially for those who play the more traditional wedge.

The Wilson offers a very nice top line, consistent solid weighting through the swing, and variations that would please a variety of wedge players.

I am really hoping the shop's have facilities to try some out. I am a very newbie into the quality wedge scene, cause all I have at the moment is my set PW,SW,GW but have swapped the SW out for a different one. Its only a $50 one I got off a trade site. I am really interested in getting some decent wedges and hoping they will help my game.

Back