Greatest amateur golfer you have ever played with

Mystery Meat

Ben Hogan Fan
Reaction score
Handicap
Bad Gas
Ever teed it up with an amateur that was literally unbelievable and quite possibly professional level good?

When I was in high school in the mid 80's we had a local amateur that was just unbelievably good. He had all the course records at the 3 muni courses (and still one is unbroken). His name was Henry Brown z , he was an African American golfer that played cross handed and was easily a consistent high 60'to mid 60 shooter at all of our local tracks. I was honored to play a few rounds with him , and he literally put on a clinic every time out. He was a retired mechanic and caddied for Roberto Devecencio ( spelling) when he signed the wrong score card at the Masters. He was such a gifted man and had a heart of gold.. Every shot he hit was a low bullet fade/'or draw ..and his putting and chipping were legendary. He tried his hand at the senior tour and came up a few shots short of qualifying for a few events. Unfortunately cancer took Mr Brown in the late 80's .. But to this day his legend of being one of the best the area ever had lives on

any of you have a few stories want to share ?

Jon Rahm-Rodriguez. I played with him in San Diego and was just insanely good. He was on an uphill 600 yard Par 5 in two like it was nothing.
1422804131_986719_1422806144_noticia_normal.jpg

http://www.wagr.com/en/Ranking/Player.aspx?playerid=4315&ismens=True

For me it would be Freddie, Canadan, and Trouter.

Yes I have. Playing with them and realizing they were unable to make it at the professional level really puts things into perspective as to just how good professional golfers are.

James Cook.

Yes I have. Playing with them and realizing they were unable to make it at the professional level really puts things into perspective as to just how good professional golfers are.

Yep, there are some insanely good golfers that can't even come close to the PGA tour. It's crazy how good they are.

I would say Chad Moscovic, our head teaching pro at the club. He won the NTPGA Professionals Tournament this year. Puts him one step away from qualifying for the PGA next year. I guess technically he is a professional, but a teaching pro not a touring one.

Friend of mine who worked for TaylorMade was a plus 3 and did the mini tours for a couple years.

He would routinely shoot in the 60s.

Having played with Canadan I'm pretty sure he is close to that number when he's not worrying about his partner having a good time.

Same may go for Nate.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I hear you're no slouch yourself. Hope to tee it up with you at some point next year.

I hear you're no slouch yourself. Hope to tee it up with you at some point next year.
Absolutely! We will make that happen! I can golf my ball but I'm no where near the 3 I named lol

Me too. Add hox30 to the list. He's a he'll of a stick. Oh jeffjohn should be on the list too but he's sandbagging right now lol. Orutravis has game too, he's just real busy with life at the moment

Me too. Add hox30 to the list. He's a he'll of a stick. Oh jeffjohn should be on the list too but he's sandbagging right now lol. Orutravis has game too, he's just real busy with life at the moment

Nate's not bad either. :alien:

I played a round w a guy who had qualified for the U.S. Senior Amateur three of the last 5 years. He is about +2.5 currently. He shot 75 with me, warming up for his qualifier at Olympic Club this year. He missed qualifying by 1-2 strokes I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. How could I forget "big time"??? Oh and jimmy90210 too. Lots of real good golfers in our community

He's alright. I suppose he's better when he's not dragging around a 6'5" 260 lb anchor :act-up:

When I caddied for a country club there was a guy there that was a +3. I got to play a round with him in the caddie member tournament, he was something else.

Yep. How could I forget "big time"??? Oh and jimmy90210 too. Lots of real good golfers in our community

Add on Nate and some young dude Six4Three5 and that's pretty much Top 5
You dudes are nuts! Well not adding big time into the convo that dude has serious game. I had one good weekend and a lot of THPers just happened to be there that weekend!!

You dudes are nuts! Well not adding big time into the convo that dude has serious game. I had one good weekend and a lot of THPers just happened to be there that weekend!!
Whatever mr. #IShot69AtCaledonia

Nobody anyone would know - repeat club champions at my buddies' club who are scratch players.

Back