Callaway Big Bertha Driver Review

I decided to do it, I can always sell it on the bay for $275 if it doesn't work out for me. I need to get up there soon.

congrats on the new driver, way to take advantage of the deal!

I decided to do it, I can always sell it on the bay for $275 if it doesn't work out for me. I need to get up there soon.

You made a solid purchase my friend. The more time I have to dial this baby in the better I'm striking it. Last time out it was a pure joy to hit. There are so many options with the settings but when you find the right combo, :bomb: you're cooking with Crisco!

As accurate as you were with the XH, I think you'll be able to call your shots with the Big Bertha. She's the straightest driver I've ever hit. I'd be shocked if you didn't gain a few yards as well.

His new name will be dead eye Dick! Heck he could even wear a Robin Hood cap on his head as he will be firing bulls eye arrows down the fairway :D

His new name will be dead eye Dick! Heck he could even wear a Robin Hood cap on his head as he will be firing bulls eye arrows down the fairway :D

We've GOT to talk about word choice!

You made a solid purchase my friend. The more time I have to dial this baby in the better I'm striking it. Last time out it was a pure joy to hit. There are so many options with the settings but when you find the right combo, :bomb: you're cooking with Crisco!

No words just quoted on principal

I think I've figured out the root cause of my hooks (a mix of setting up too closed to the ball and too strong a grip, for those interested). After making some changes and struggling some my last range session, I was absolutely BOMBING it by the end. I have no hesitation to say that when I hit it good with this bad girl, I gain 5-10 yards on my R11S. Plus the sound and feel is just MILES better.

I was on the fence with this driver trying to decide if it is actually a better for for me then my Amp cell but last weekend solidified that 100%.

Instead of going into details I will summarize why I came to this conclusion..
* I was switching between drivers during my Saturday round and EVERY hole with the Bertha was a better shot then with the Amp Cell
* My second shot was 5-10 yards behind my playing partners.. (It was CONSISTENTLY 15-25 before with the Amp Cell)
* Not a single drive got away from me far right the entire weekend.
* I shot my PB round on Sunday with the Bertha and I hit all but 1 fairway with it and I was hitting second shots closer then I ever have.

With that quick summary, I would like to formally congratulate Bertha on SECURING a spot in my bag I had NO intentions of replacing anytime soon.

A lot of very similar stories on this ole lady

hoping that BG sale lasts through Saturday. Callaway is doing a demo event this Saturday at our new Golfsmith. Hate to think of this driver as the girl who got away...

Serious question, I have been in ponder on this driver for a while as I have read along in this thread. I have not had a chance to demo it at a store, nor have I ever seen one to this point. There is an awesome deal from Budget Golf right now for the standard shaft model for $299.96 with free shipping. There are several great offerings this year that I want to try but this price is pulling me in hard. I am coming from last year's X-Hot which I have had for the past 14 months so when considering all of the times I play 27 or 36 and the time I spend at the range it has 200+ rounds on it and I feel it is time to retire it. My question is would I be better off to wait a few weeks until I can get to a store or just pull the trigger and let the chips fall where they may. I hate to lose out on this great deal but pulling the trigger without even hitting it just goes against my grain.

So much for no price drops I guess haha.

This driver was pretty much the lone highlight of my round yesterday. I played from the back tees (usually play the blues there) and my drives were always in the same spot as normal if not further. Boom!

So much for no price drops I guess haha.

This driver was pretty much the lone highlight of my round yesterday. I played from the back tees (usually play the blues there) and my drives were always in the same spot as normal if not further. Boom!

Gives me hope for some Apex discounts eventually :D

I was on the fence with this driver trying to decide if it is actually a better for for me then my Amp cell but last weekend solidified that 100%.

* I was switching between drivers during my Saturday round and EVERY hole with the Bertha was a better shot then with the Amp Cell
* My second shot was 5-10 yards behind my playing partners.. (It was CONSISTENTLY 15-25 before with the Amp Cell)
* I shot my PB round on Sunday with the Bertha and I hit all but 1 fairway with it and I was hitting second shots closer then I ever have.

With that quick summary, I would like to formally congratulate Bertha on SECURING a spot in my bag I had NO intentions of replacing anytime soon.

Tweet that out! #BerthaLong is no joke. Congrats on the PB!

Tweet that out! #BerthaLong is no joke. Congrats on the PB!

I did Sunday afterward! It was great and I am playing 2 more rounds this weekend. Hoping it goes just as good!

hoping that BG sale lasts through Saturday. Callaway is doing a demo event this Saturday at our new Golfsmith. Hate to think of this driver as the girl who got away...
You have until Monday night at midnight, I just could not wait any longer after these great reports from so many of my friends.

Bummer! But, that should be an easy fix I think, once you find a collar. Doesn't sound like you'll have to get a replacement driver or major repair.

Correct, this was an easy fix. So I rang Callaway, explained the problem and they sent through a couple of replacements free of charge one of which took a minute to fit. All just in time for Saturday's medal, unfortunately the forecast is for a gale and a drenching.

Got Bertha out for my first round post #TheKing and the results were mixed. I had a severe case of THP event hangover! The balls I struck well put me in a few places on my home course that I don't normally see with some nice distances into the green. I had a few pull hooks but that was severe operator error. She still has her new spot in my bag and I look forward to getting back out with her again soon.

Typos courtesy of Tapatalk, enjoy!

My first round with Bertba was a religious experience. The first few drives were okay, probably 250. On the back 9 I started stepping on it, and some of my drives were 300+ and just majestic. If you get after it with her, she launches.

Way to go Jesse. Rock that Bertha! Love seeing these success stories and I'm sure the #Zoocrew would too.

Are most of you playing the Big Bertha at a higher loft than your previous driver?

I have a 10.5* R1 that I play dialed up to 12* and still hit it a little low. I'm wonder if the 13.5* in the BB might be the best bet if I decide to go the BB route.

Are most of you playing the Big Bertha at a higher loft than your previous driver?

I have a 10.5* R1 that I play dialed up to 12* and still hit it a little low. I'm wonder if the 13.5* in the BB might be the best bet if I decide to go the BB route.

I play Bertha at the same loft as my R11S - both are 10.5* heads that I've dialed up to 11.5*. The big difference is I have Bertha all the way on fade bias, because the head seems a little more draw biased to begin with than the R11S.

So I really think I have finally unleashed this bad girl's potential. Went back to Hogan's fundamentals to check my grip, and I've been more mindful of my alignment lately, and something clicked at last night's range session. Focused on my longer clubs considering the issues with hooks I've had lately, and the hooks went away and I was bombing it. This driver is absolutely addictive when you're hitting it well. A fairly straight alignment led to baby draws of about 5 yards, and I was able to hit cuts and bigger draws with ease just by adjusting that alignment. And it let me get away with some low face shots as well for sure - I'm constantly astounded by how poorly I can strike it sometimes and still get away with it. In comparison to my R11S, I've mentioned it before, but the distance is at least 5 yards longer on average, probably more, and the sound and feel are just miles better.

Bertha and I may have got off on the wrong foot, but she is quickly making a believer out of me! First non-King round with her tomorrow, I'm stoked!

I am playing it higher than my previous driver. I had my Amp Cell pushed all the way up to 11.5* which, because of the swing, wasn't enough to get a consistant high ball flight. I got the 13.5* Bertha head with the stock Fubuki stiff shaft and it's launching balls MUCH better. I haven't played with the settings at all, but I'm curious what 14.5 and 15.5 will look like...

I plan on picking up an Alpha but I've been making some swing changes that might change which loft and flex I would order. I'm also still trying to decide on whether I love the Alpha ZT shaft or something else.

The more I think about how I've changed my setup to play a single 17* fairway again, the more I think about wanting to try the 13.5 version of Bertha just because. Just one of those wacky weekend thoughts out of nowhere.

I tried the 13.5 head at 15.5 and it certainly works. It was hard to get used to the steep launch angle but it was definitely playable.

I checked out a BB to demo tomorrow on course. I'm gonna through my ilima shaft in it and see what happens!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back