Mizuno JPX-EZ Irons - THP Review Thread

Nailed the sound ddec. I hit the 7 iron for a while and the sound is a deeper thwack that makes you think of solid mass. Pretty strong in my opinion.

Nailed the sound ddec. I hit the 7 iron for a while and the sound is a deeper thwack that makes you think of solid mass. Pretty strong in my opinion.
Without a doubt. They did a really good job on that.

Hey Dean, how is the distance into the Gw compared to the rest of the set? I ask as I'm seeing diminishing returns into the PW and then most noticeably the GW, I'm leaning that it's a fit issue with the shafts for me as the rest of the Forged set gaps just fine, but I'm curious.

On the sound, sounds like these have a lot of the traits of the Forged, solid an actually pretty addicting.

Hey Dean, how is the distance into the Gw compared to the rest of the set? I ask as I'm seeing diminishing returns into the PW and then most noticeably the GW, I'm leaning that it's a fit issue with the shafts for me as the rest of the Forged set gaps just fine, but I'm curious.

On the sound, sounds like these have a lot of the traits of the Forged, solid an actually pretty addicting.

Honestly I'm not sure if I've noticed anything like that, but I will keep an eye for it on Tuesday.

Dean, how do these compare to you to the 355s? If I were to go the more forgiving/cast route those would be two models I'd look at. I'm happy with what I hear regarding sound - I think that's one thing Mizuno does especially well with their GI/SGI models. They give a more solid than hollow/tinny sound you get with a lot of the other clubs out there. PING are the same way, with the exception of the GMax.

Dean, how do these compare to you to the 355s? If I were to go the more forgiving/cast route those would be two models I'd look at. I'm happy with what I hear regarding sound - I think that's one thing Mizuno does especially well with their GI/SGI models. They give a more solid than hollow/tinny sound you get with a lot of the other clubs out there. PING are the same way, with the exception of the GMax.

I like the finish better on these compared to the 355(personal choice). I'm huge fan of that VT sole in the 355. These appear to have larger footprint to me, which isn't bad. Slightly longer heel to toe as well. I can try to get some comparison pics up this week. I give the sound nod to these, though the 355 didn't sound bad. I think it comes down to the package that a person wants. To me the 355 make you feel like you are swinging more of a better player iron, while these you look down on and you just get confidence that the ball will get up in the air with no problem.

I like the finish better on these compared to the 355(personal choice). I'm huge fan of that VT sole in the 355. These appear to have larger footprint to me, which isn't bad. Slightly longer heel to toe as well. I can try to get some comparison pics up this week. I give the sound nod to these, though the 355 didn't sound bad. I think it comes down to the package that a person wants. To me the 355 make you feel like you are swinging more of a better player iron, while these you look down on and you just get confidence that the ball will get up in the air with no problem.

Yeah - and as someone who's played a G series iron (and really enjoyed it) in the past, I almost like the bigger look if I'm looking to play something in that space. I need to see these in person some time. The store oddly only had the forged version when I was in there the other day.

OK, as I said earlier today, 54 holes in and 1 good range session. Gives me a good feeling about what these irons are all about.

First, let's talk about the size. They are bigger than the EZ Forged, and that makes sense because they are targeted at a slightly higher handicap player. They have a wide sole, and a long blade length. Mentioned early about the two-tone finish and how it masks the size of them a bit, and it does. Setting up to the ball with them, you get a sense of confidence.

Ballfight is high, which I love about them. The ball moves very slightly once airborne, so it's not something I'd be going at as a very workable iron when going side to side. Changing the flight high/low was a bit easier than I expected going off their design. Forgives is without a doubt present too. My normal iron miss is low and toe, and believe me I saw my share of them. However the penalty for the miss was more than manageable. Distance was solid. Nothing earth shattering to report on that so far, but will get some monitor time this week at some point to get a better look at that.

Mizuno did a great job with the sound of these IMO which translates to a nice feel. Not as "clicky" as I was anticipating.

With some soft conditions over the weekend I did struggle a bit with shots being heavy. The sole design did a good job to prevent digging, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I had some massive divots. More swing than club on those, but figured I'd throw them out.
Did you hit the previous version? Sounds like these are similar, with the exception of looking a whole lot better and having better acoustics. I like the high ball flight also, but if they are like the previous version not find it hard to flight them down when I need to. I can get a little balloon affect with the 9-GW occasionally though. Been thinking about trying these with some Recoil shafts.

Did you hit the previous version? Sounds like these are similar, with the exception of looking a whole lot better and having better acoustics. I like the high ball flight also, but if they are like the previous version not find it hard to flight them down when I need to. I can get a little balloon affect with the 9-GW occasionally though. Been thinking about trying these with some Recoil shafts.

I didn't not hit them to any extent of them standing out in my mind. It's going to be difficult for me to draw a direct comparison.

Fun set of irons. Mizuno certainly corrected some things from their previous set.

Excellent writeup ddec. Great info on the soles, as someone who can always use some help across the board these sound like the full package. In particular interest is the sole interaction with the turf, since my bad shot is fat. I liked the 850s when I swung them recently, looks like these are a big improvement on those. And I certainly don't mind a bigger sized club head either.

Thanks Russ. They certainly help on the fat shot. The larger club head did not bother me either especially after one range session

Enjoyed this review. Good to see Mizuno improving on the GI line. I like the looks of these much more than the bright blue of the 850, but won't lie and say I'd probably prefer the profile of the EZ forged.

Nice. Its pretty cool that even Mizuno's ugly irons are sexy. Im personally not a fan of gunmetal or matte finishes but those ones arent bad.

Nice. Its pretty cool that even Mizuno's ugly irons are sexy. Im personally not a fan of gunmetal or matte finishes but those ones arent bad.

I love how those types of finishes look when brand new. After they get hit though, they never look near as good. The finish on these held up alright. I know I mentioned it and James did as well in the Forged review, that the finish kind of just turns a lighter shade. That gives me confidence that if I bought a set and used them for a few years they would still look decent to my eye.

So who's got 'em and who loves 'em?

I just got a chance to hit the cast EZ and it felt like a dream coming off the face. I have the cast 850 irons that I bought when they were released 2 years ago. The EZ was not available in LH at that time or that is probably the route I would have gone. I might seriously need to give these some consideration as I still struggle with iron consistency. My local GS had the xp115 shaft +1/2" that is also in my 850 and the feel was night and day difference.

So who's got 'em and who loves 'em?

I just got a chance to hit the cast EZ and it felt like a dream coming off the face. I have the cast 850 irons that I bought when they were released 2 years ago. The EZ was not available in LH at that time or that is probably the route I would have gone. I might seriously need to give these some consideration as I still struggle with iron consistency. My local GS had the xp115 shaft +1/2" that is also in my 850 and the feel was night and day difference.

You have a pretty big event coming up where you get to meet people responsible for putting out some great gear. I would see what they have in store for you guys before jumping in. Just me though, new gear is always fun.

You have a pretty big event coming up where you get to meet people responsible for putting out some great gear. I would see what they have in store for you guys before jumping in. Just me though, new gear is always fun.

oh don't worry. I'm just information gathering right now and I'm definitely excited about the Srixon gear too. The z565 being available in LH now intrigues me very much and I don't want to discount the 355 series they released last year too.

Fun set of irons. Mizuno certainly corrected some things from their previous set.

I'm currently playing JPX-800s and played the MX-900s and 950s prior to that. Thinking about upgrading and picking up a used set of JPX EZs. Besides the obvious cosmetic differences, are there major performance differences between the 2014 and 2016 models? Is the 2016 model worth the extra money? Thanks

I'm currently playing JPX-800s and played the MX-900s and 950s prior to that. Thinking about upgrading and picking up a used set of JPX EZs. Besides the obvious cosmetic differences, are there major performance differences between the 2014 and 2016 models? Is the 2016 model worth the extra money? Thanks

My time with the '14 EZ was more limited than with these, but the one thing I noticed, and spoke to Jman about(he reviewed the '14 model) was the these were more consistent in terms of ball flight and distances/gapping. There were some wonky things with the '14 which really aided in some strange yardages from club to club. So I would definitely recommend these over them.

My time with the '14 EZ was more limited than with these, but the one thing I noticed, and spoke to Jman about(he reviewed the '14 model) was the these were more consistent in terms of ball flight and distances/gapping. There were some wonky things with the '14 which really aided in some strange yardages from club to club. So I would definitely recommend these over them.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the Jman reivew on the JPX EX Forged and not the cast JPZ EZs?

I could be wrong, but wasn't the Jman reivew on the JPX EX Forged and not the cast JPZ EZs?

yes he did the forged in both years, I was thinking Jakes review. Too many J's.

Hawk did the EZ's and I did the Forged. We both found the original versions to be abnormal launchers, to the point if very much seeing diminishing returns, almost like something was off with the CG. The next version rectified that a ton though.

Appreciate the replies, sounds like if I was planning on keeping them for a few years the 16 EZs would be the way to go. Thanks again.

Back