mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just signed up for a 5 club tournament in December (found an old thread that appeared to be dead about this so thought I would start a new one).

The course from the whites will play at 6100 yards. Really don't need driver, and I am toying with putting with either my 3W or my wedge...
At this point I am thinking:

3W
6I
8I
PW
58*

If I take the putter, will probably drop the 8I and sub in the 9I for the PW.

How would you set up your bag and why?

if it's me... i'm taking the putter, most important club in the bag. That would leave me with

3w
5I
8I
50*
Putter

It might be something to check a common distance par 4, know your 3w distance off of the tee, and pick the approach club accordingly

5 Club tourney

3w (something to get off the tees)

Putter (the only club we use on every hole, gotta include it)

SW (something for 100 yards and in plus sand, etc )

6i, 9i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it would be
4w
5h
8i
56*
puter

i have wanted to play in one of these style tournaments for awhile so it's a set up I've thought about a lot.

For me,

3W
6I
9I
56°
Putter

I would look at the par 3's and take 2 clubs that will hit those decent then take a 3 hybrid 54 and putter.

Thinking about this and how my game plays, I would go with the following:

3W
6i
8i
56°
Putter

I think the following would get me through on most courses:

3W (tee, but I could also hit it from the turf)
4h
8i
54* (used for sand as well)
Putter

Driver (feel that it is my best club and would put me close to any hole)
3h (helps on par 5 and tight par 4, long par 3)
8i (if course is only 6100 yards I should need nothing longer than 8i into any non par 3 hole)
50* (my approach club and can manage distance well with it)
Putter

3W
5i
8i
56*
Putter

3W
4h
8i
54w
Putter

O man that would be tough.

3i
6i
8i
56*
Putter

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially now since I hit my 3w better than my driver, it would be:

3w
5h
7i
Pw
Putter

But before closing on that I would check out all the Par 3's first and perhaps the weather conditions. I'll make sure I have the right club for all the par 3 distances. So say, for my home course the par 3's play 200, 170, 150 and 140, I'll swap the 5h for a 4h.

Driver
4h
7i
50*
putter

Just signed up for a 5 club tournament in December (found an old thread that appeared to be dead about this so thought I would start a new one).

The course from the whites will play at 6100 yards. Really don't need driver, and I am toying with putting with either my 3W or my wedge...
At this point I am thinking:

3W
6I
8I
PW
58*

If I take the putter, will probably drop the 8I and sub in the 9I for the PW.

How would you set up your bag and why?

I like your decision to not take the putter. I've played well in a few 4 club tournaments and I've never wasted a slot on the putter or driver, because both are one dimensional clubs. A little practice time with a FW wood or hybrid and you have a club that you can putt with just about as well as the putter, but one that's good for more than just putting.

To answer your question. I've played 4 club matches with 5W, 6I, 8I, and PW (that was before I had a GW to confuse the issue). For 5 clubs, I'd probably go 5W, 6I, 8I, and both of my gap wedges, because the TM wedge is my 100 yard club, and the AP-2 GW is my go to club for everything greenside. I can play a pretty solid bunker shot with it too, when I need to. I'd putt with the 5W - I've done that before and still made it around in less than 36 putts. However, I stress that this setup just fits my game and my bag - may not be suited to every taste.

Haven't had a chance to do one of these, but they seem fun.\

My picks right now would be
4W
5I
8I
54° wedge
Putter

I think for a 5 club tourney I would definitely bring the following:

2 iron

7 iron

50*

62*

Putter

Does anyone really practice putting with a fairway or hybrid? I think you have to include the putter. More times than not you'll be pulling off a 1/2 or 3/4 shot into a green--no sense ruining that by trying to roll in a putt with your 3 wood.

3H - It'll get me 185 off the tee and in the fairway.
7i - from 145 and in
PW - from 110 and in
54 - sand game
Putter - because putts and chutts

3h (back in the bag for this tourney)
5i
7i
9i
56*

Does anyone really practice putting with a fairway or hybrid? I think you have to include the putter. More times than not you'll be pulling off a 1/2 or 3/4 shot into a green--no sense ruining that by trying to roll in a putt with your 3 wood.

I do, but I use my hybrid around the green when the ball's up against the collar.

The times that I played in these tournaments, I was never beaten by a player who selected the putter. They always lost more strokes by being forced to use the wrong club elsewhere than I ever lost putting with a 5W. I spent all of about 15 minutes to get the feel for speed with the wood, after that it was no different than using a putter. Having that extra club is gold, especially if you know the course and can plan the way you intend to play most of the holes.

Here's my setup.

18* hybrid - I can hit it 235 off the tee and it's very useful elsewhere.
6 iron
9 iron
56* wedge- 105 and in
Putter

Just curious as to how many of you who are so tied to your putters have actually played in a limited club tournament, and how well you actually did. As I said above, my experience playing in 4 such tournaments, one 3 club and three 4 club competitions with no restrictions on the clubs chosen, I was never beaten in my flight by anyone who selected a putter as one of his clubs (I only actually won my flight once, but I was never lower than 4th). Once or twice might be coincidence, but 4 times seems like I was making a good decision.

The only time I was beaten (and I was pretty bad in that one) was one time when we were required to use the putter as one of the clubs, so everyone had a putter. I never seemed to have the right club in my hand, so when my first putt was too often for bogey, it didn't really matter what I was putting with.

Maybe I'm just a rare case, but I found it much easier to adjust to putting with the 5W than it was to adjust every shot from the fairway. It really isn't that hard to do.

Back