TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

That's what I was thinking as well. I'm still leaning SpeedBlades because I need all the forgiveness I can get, but I still want to check out the SLDRs.

I play R11s, they do compare these with the R11s and say he sweet is a lot larger with more forgiveness, geez that might mean the Speedblades are even larger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking 3-AW for my MC bag, anyone who has hit the 3-iron or the AW, how do they perform?

I'm thinking that if the 3-iron is forgiving and all, I could hit better than a hybrid, but of course a 3-iron is a 3-iron :)

AW could be an awesome bridge between the irons and two wedges, I hit current 51° quite well, but sometimes it digs too easily, i suppose the AW would perform more like a PW, but shorter. Could be a confidence booster.

I have only been able to hit a 7 iron so far. Right now I'm thinking 5-SW.

I'm thinking 3-AW for my MC bag, anyone who has hit the 3-iron or the AW, how do they perform?

I'm thinking that if the 3-iron is forgiving and all, I could hit better than a hybrid, but of course a 3-iron is a 3-iron :)

AW could be an awesome bridge between the irons and two wedges, I hit current 51° quite well, but sometimes it digs too easily, i suppose the AW would perform more like a PW, but shorter. Could be a confidence booster.

Im going 5-AW. The SLDR S hybrids are too easy to hit and high launching to consider a 3 or 4.

Im going 5-AW. The SLDR S hybrids are too easy to hit and high launching to consider a 3 or 4.

Worth to consider, thanks.

Did spend much time with the reg SLDR hybrids?

Did spend much time with the reg SLDR hybrids?

Not really. My fitter had the SLDR S woods so we were able to work with them. Once he threw the right shaft in for me it was a rocket launcher.

From my time with the SLDR hybrids, the S hybrids have a much better feel, closer to the X2Hot hybrids.

I'm definitely going all the way down to the SW with these, I just can't decide whether to start with a 5 or 6 iron.

I'm definitely going all the way down to the SW with these, I just can't decide whether to start with a 5 or 6 iron.

The 5 iron is a spot in my bag that is no lock by any means with these. I don't find it difficult to hit, but I'm just not sure if I want to throw a 2nd hybrid in for that slot just to change things up a bit. I will be going down to the AW with them however.

Friday morning I played 18 before heading off to the camp site and I hit my irons very well that day. Looking at my numbers I hit 8 greens in regulation, including all par 3's(played them at -1 for the day, which is rare). When I look back on that round I found some interesting numbers from off the tee, which I will update in the other thread. However so of the 8 GIR's I hit, I will say that from holes I hit driver on(7), I hit the green 1 time and that was on 18. Only on 1 of those holes did I have an iron/wedge in to the green. Everything else my 2nd shot was something that needed to be used to throw me back in to position. My iron game confidence just grows every time out with these over the last week or so. Starting to enjoy them very much.

The 5 iron is a spot in my bag that is no lock by any means with these. I don't find it difficult to hit, but I'm just not sure if I want to throw a 2nd hybrid in for that slot just to change things up a bit. I will be going down to the AW with them however.

Friday morning I played 18 before heading off to the camp site and I hit my irons very well that day. Looking at my numbers I hit 8 greens in regulation, including all par 3's(played them at -1 for the day, which is rare). When I look back on that round I found some interesting numbers from off the tee, which I will update in the other thread. However so of the 8 GIR's I hit, I will say that from holes I hit driver on(7), I hit the green 1 time and that was on 18. Only on 1 of those holes did I have an iron/wedge in to the green. Everything else my 2nd shot was something that needed to be used to throw me back in to position. My iron game confidence just grows every time out with these over the last week or so. Starting to enjoy them very much.

Good stuff Dean. I have only been able to hit the 7 iron, which I didn't have a problem with. But with these being a little smaller headed than I am use to on my irons, I'm thinking the 5 iron might be more than I can handle.

Hell yes. Love reading this Dean.

Hell yes. Love reading this Dean.

I just had a long post going in the metal wood thread and my comp restarted. Just dumb.

How is your order coming along?

Good stuff Dean. I have only been able to hit the 7 iron, which I didn't have a problem with. But with these being a little smaller headed than I am use to on my irons, I'm thinking the 5 iron might be more than I can handle.

so what is your hybrid/iron part of your bag going to look like. Are you considering that 28* at all?

I just had a long post going in the metal wood thread and my comp restarted. Just dumb.

How is your order coming along?
Yesterday made me realize a lot of things, most of them being that I am over thinking everything.

I look back at my bag from last year and see the success that I had with it, and how I played those courses and it reminds me to go in that direction.

Driver and Strong Lofted 3W (Mini) are a lock, for sure. Shafts are what I am studying up on now.

so what is your hybrid/iron part of your bag going to look like. Are you considering that 28* at all?

I doubt it, I tend to be more accurate with irons than hybrids. I'm pretty consistent with my current 6 iron, so I think I'll be OK with the SLDR 6 iron.

Yesterday made me realize a lot of things, most of them being that I am over thinking everything.

I look back at my bag from last year and see the success that I had with it, and how I played those courses and it reminds me to go in that direction.

Driver and Strong Lofted 3W (Mini) are a lock, for sure. Shafts are what I am studying up on now.

Remind me what the shaft options are for these irons?

I was doing that last night. I told Jenn I was looking back at the 6 rounds from True Blue and 4 at Caledonia and I could almost go shot for shot at what clubs I used and what really didn't get touched. Kind of funny to look back and see what memories come back.

I doubt it, I tend to be more accurate with irons than hybrids. I'm pretty consistent with my current 6 iron, so I think I'll be OK with the SLDR 6 iron.

I wish I had a super high lofted hybrid to try out. Like you, I will probably pass on it.

Remind me what the shaft options are for these irons?

C Taper 90, TM 85 Steel, Tour 90, C-Taper, PX Chrome, PX Flighted, PX X95, Dynamic Gold, DG Superlight, DG XP, Nippon NS Pro 950

C-taper 90s were solid, reminded me really of the Tour 90s. Those would be my preferences, or maybe the PX

I wish I had a super high lofted hybrid to try out. Like you, I will probably pass on it.

I was only able to hit the 3 and 4 hybrids when I did my fitting. It would be interesting to see what a 28° hybrid would do though.

C Taper 90, TM 85 Steel, Tour 90, C-Taper, PX Chrome, PX Flighted, PX X95, Dynamic Gold, DG Superlight, DG XP, Nippon NS Pro 950

Don't forget the stock graphite!

How can I forget, it's probably what I am going with

I play graphite right now, but my fitter recommended steel, so I don't know what I'll do just yet.

C-taper 90s were solid, reminded me really of the Tour 90s. Those would be my preferences, or maybe the PX

I had my set built with the Tour 90's and when I was hitting them side by side with the C-Taper 90, I couldn't tell any real difference in ball flight to my untrained eye. They did remind me of a stepless Tour 90.

Your guys' convos in the SLDR threads are just great. TM's decision to have you guys all go with this line may be paying off, or I'm just missing the convos from players with other sponsors. I'm more interested in other brands' lines, but these threads just have me drawn in.

Back