Cobra Golf MAX Driver

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
http://www.cobragolf.com/cobra-max-... FB&utm_campaign=2015 Cobra Max Social Launch
max-drv-hero.jpg
max_drv_large_address.jpg

The COBRA MAX driver is designed to deliver high launch and easy straight ball flight. Featuring an offset hosel design, this driver was created for the higher handicap golfer looking to reduce the slice and hit straight drives.

Replacement for the Fly Z XL set I presume?

LOL, make Golf easy?? The only way Golf is easy is if you don't play! Not gonna happen!

Solid offering, I've really liked the cobra drivers the last few releases... This club lost me at offset though haha

I really like the looks of the irons in this series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think these irons look better than recent super-game-improvement" offerings (Baffler XL and Fly-Z XL) but I won't be purchasing them ...I'm a lefty and I'm bummed they won't be offering more driver lofts that a 10.5 degree model. Also, they don't have a 7 wood option for southpaws ... c'mon, Cobra, you can do better for us left handers!

Mike
MPM1960

"When Ricky Fowler is winning, he's having fun..." Ya think????

Been waiting for these since I first read about them & am hoping to go hit these this weekend. I'll hit the Fly Z XLs as well along with a couple other SGI/GI irons for comparison purposes. I want to get these, but all things being equal I'll go with the Fly Z XLs and save $100 or so.

That's probably the best looking set of SGI sticks I've seen. Has MB wedges and progressively moves up to hybrids by the 6h, pretty impressive setup.

I believe the prior offset clubs (FlyZ XL, Baffler XL, Amp Cell Offset) from Cobra did not have heel weighting or if it did it was internal. I noticed on this iteration there is a weight port in the heel much like Ping's SF Technology.

Interesting. May have to give this one a shot.

Anyone find this in a store yet to demo?
I was in Golfsmith yesterday and they did not have any demo's or new on the rack.

Anyone find this in a store yet to demo?
I was in Golfsmith yesterday and they did not have any demo's or new on the rack.

I was told the official release date is today (12/4) so I'm hoping to hit them sometime this weekend.

I was told the official release date is today (12/4) so I'm hoping to hit them sometime this weekend.

That is correct. The release is today and stores should have them in stock.

I might stop by today to try one out. The offset kills it for me, but I am up to try anything.

Golfsmith had Demos but none on the rack.

I hit the 10.5* R flex and it was a launch and spin monster. I was testing my 10* G30 SF Tec set to 11* with 3 different shafts and my spin was around 2000-3000 and avg launch of 17*. The Cobra Max launched at 20* and well over 3k spin. Avg carry with my g30 was 213 yds. Avg carry with the Max was 190.
I was hoping they lowered the launch and spin on this iteration as prior Cobra offset drivers went nowhere for me as well. Bummed as this one looks pretty good.

Next time might try the 9.5 S flex to see if my launch gets back in line

Golf for the rest of us ... I can get behind that.

I got a chance to swing this at Golfsmith, the offset is quite a bit more noticeable at address than the pictures show.

Interesting thing about this driver is that the higher the loft, the lighter the swing weight. D3 for the 9.5 degree; D0 for the 11.5 degree. This has me intrigued since I fight a slice or push with my driver. I wonder if an offset would help?

Golfsmith had Demos but none on the rack.

I hit the 10.5* R flex and it was a launch and spin monster. I was testing my 10* G30 SF Tec set to 11* with 3 different shafts and my spin was around 2000-3000 and avg launch of 17*. The Cobra Max launched at 20* and well over 3k spin. Avg carry with my g30 was 213 yds. Avg carry with the Max was 190.
I was hoping they lowered the launch and spin on this iteration as prior Cobra offset drivers went nowhere for me as well. Bummed as this one looks pretty good.

I guess you reduce the slice (sidespin) by increasing the backspin component. It's why you don't slice 9 irons.

I played this for several holes today and came away quite impressed. This thing is as high and straight as they come which is certainly the goal. I really didn't notice the offset after a few swings and it certainly didn't lead to any hooks even though I was playing a draw with other drivers and my irons all day. It will be a perfect driver for the target audience and could help a lot of golfers.

I played this for several holes today and came away quite impressed. This thing is as high and straight as they come which is certainly the goal. I really didn't notice the offset after a few swings and it certainly didn't lead to any hooks even though I was playing a draw with other drivers and my irons all day. It will be a perfect driver for the target audience and could help a lot of golfers.

I've been enamored based on the simplicity of the design but my one fear is just creating too much spin and too high of launch.

I've been enamored based on the simplicity of the design but my one fear is just creating too much spin and too high of launch.

I certainly gave up some distance (as I am already a high spin guy), but the thought of putting something like this in the bag as a second driver is intriguing. It is a fairway finder for sure.

I certainly gave up some distance (as I am already a high spin guy), but the thought of putting something like this in the bag as a second driver is intriguing. It is a fairway finder for sure.

Think you could make it a bit better with a shaft change? I know the shaft is paired with the head for a reason but if you can bring the spin (and launch if needed) down a bit and still split fairways with a ton of forgiveness then it would seemingly be a no brainer.

Back