Recommendations for good food in NYC

Girardcorp

Reaction score
Handicap
My wife is going to NYC next week with some friends and is looking for some really good food. They're staying in mid town but are planning to do some traveling to see things. None of them have been there before. Any recommendations for good food that might otherwise get missed?

Best Pizza I have had is Don Giovanis in Chelsea. The Half King in Chelsea has a pretty great burger.

Chelsea Marketplace has some great food and make sure she doesnt skip The Highline.

In Brooklyn I recommend Juliana's Pizza, really good Italian and excellent NYC pizza. In Manhatten, I'd check out the East Village: McSorley's Olde Ale House for at least a beer, great atmosphere, relatively good and reasonable priced bar food, Pylos has great Greek food, Spot Dessert bar, just really sick desserts, Luzzo's, more great pizza. If they venture off to Queens Casa Asia has great Sushi, Joe's Restaurant in Ridgewood Queens is probably my Dad's favorite. He lives about 4 blocks away and can be found there two nights a week, great Italian, family atmosphere, friendly owners. If staying in Manhatten I would focus on the East Village, just way too many great places there. Hope that helps

If they're into a lot of delicious meats (and caipirinhas and sushi and salad bar), try Churrascaria Plataforma on W 49th btw 8th and 9th Aves

http://plataformaonline.com/

Sbarro's is my favorite NYC pizza place!

Playing with me last weekend did more damage than initially diagnosed.

It's from the Office! Please watch every season immediately. You will thank me later.

It's from the Office! Please watch every season immediately. You will thank me later.
Excellent show, but I missed that episode. I still stand by my original conclusion.

Office quote was awesome. Well played!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Pizza I have had is Don Giovanis in Chelsea. The Half King in Chelsea has a pretty great burger.

Chelsea Marketplace has some great food and make sure she doesnt skip The Highline.
Burger and pizza type joints will probably go over well with this group. great info

Katz's Deli downtown on Houston Street. That famous scene in "When Harry Met Sally" was filmed there.

If they are into upscale sushi, they must go to Nobu. Partially owned by Robert DeNiro, and the best sushi I've had in my life and I've been around, lol.

No matter how tempting, stay away from the celebrity chefs' places. They can be good, but there are much better.

Amazing food in China Town and Little Italy as well. Inexpensive and goooooood.

There is just so much amazing food in NYC, it's almost silly.

Try to get over to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Best steak in NY. Pricey but worth it and bring cash or debit card, they don't take credit cards.

If you like italian food, head over to Little Italy...

Geez I wouldn't even know where to start.

Grimaldi's pizza in Brooklyn
Little Italy for Dessert
Magnolia Bakery for Banana Pudding

Just so many delicious places.

Try to get over to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Best steak in NY. Pricey but worth it and bring cash or debit card, they don't take credit cards.

Yes, Luger's. Best in the world.

Eat cheap later at Nathan's Hot Dogs.......

would help to be a bit more specific on cusisne as there is a ton of everything in the city. obviously pizza would be #1 as it should be, and every ny'er has a different opinion as to who's is the best. biggest thing is stay away from anything that says "original ray's". imo, best pizza is in brooklyn...totonno's in coney island(gotta have thick skin though as their customer service is nonexistant), difara in flatbush(?), l&b spumoni gardens square slices/pies in bensonhurst and grimaldi's bringing in the rear in dumbo.
if staying in manhattan, the original patsy's in spanish harlem is by for the best pie in manhattan. the only good pizza in midtown is angelo's on 57th near columbus circle. downtown, i'd say lombardi's(the first/oldest pizza joint in the city...and maybe US?) and john's of bleecker st.

for burgers, minetta tavern black label burger AINEC.

for italian, patsy's(not the same as the pizzeria in harlem) on 56th is solid. carmine's on 44th st. is a bit of tourist trap but still solid if they don't mind ordering family style.

for great cheesecake: junior's(several locations now), and eileen's special cheesecake in nolita.

katz's is solid for hot pastrami, brisket and corned beef...huge tourist trap though, which is why my friends and i usually go to sarge's deli in murray hill for our partrami fix, no crowd and pastrami is as good or better along with a more comprehensive menu. then again, katz is more of a tourist experience, just be prepared for a long wait if going at peak hours.

best food city in the country, imho.

best "porterhouse" in ny. i'm more of a cowboy/bone-in rib steak kinda guy so my personal favorite is old homestead in the meatpacking district. luger's other cuts are somewhat underwhelming imo. but if going to luger's #1 DO NOT USE THE STEAKSAUCE ON THE STEAK(even though it really is good, use on the complimentary bread) #2 See #1, #3 get the slab bacon.

I've had a fantastic meal at Scarpetta. Eately is a very cool place. Any of the Momofuku places. The Spotted Pig. Burger Bar ("hidden" in Le Meridian lobby). Just a few of the places that I have been, there is so much good food there.

Depending where she plans to visit I could recommend a few places in Brooklyn. So much in the way of food type you are spoilt for choice. So if you could tell us what she would like to eat that would narrow the search.

Just off the Brooklyn bridge, Brooklyn Heights & Dumbo area (2 & 3 train), Noddle Pudding, The River Cafe, Henry's End and all within reach of the Grimaldi pizza.

Williamsburg, Peter Lugars (J, M & Z train), Egg (L train).

Cobble Hill, Prime Meats (F & G train).

To many to mention all along Smith Street (F & G train) which is the Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill area of Brooklyn.

It sounds like they are probably staying closer to the midtown manhatten area; central park, rockefeller center, going to a broadway show and stuff like that. They're headed out by the statue of liberty and other touristy stuff; you know the stuff people do the first time they ever go there 'for fun'. They are flying into Laguardia, so will have to get into the city accordingly from there.

eataly is great too for lunch

If you want drinks and an appetizer, The Palm is VERY generous with the lump crab meat appetizer

Ray's Pizza in time square is just phenomenal.

Back