Muira Combo iron set

adrianjakto

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all forum newbie here.
I'm thinking of getting a new set of Miura irons. I was originally looking at the cb501s but went for a fitting at Tour X golf in Warrington, England and tried out the MB001 blades. Loved the blades but I'm not sure my swing will stand up to the lack of forgiveness of a full set, so I asked about a combo set of cb501s in 4, 5, and 6 irons (I don't carry a 3) with mb001s in 7, 8, 9 and PW. I was told this could but done but Miura would be a charge a surcharge of 30% on the cost of the heads as I wouldn't be buying a full set! Has anyone else come across this when dealing with Miura??
Thanks

First off Welcome to THP
I have not had any direct dealings with Miura but i know a guy who plays the CB's and loves them it is weird that they would add an extra surcharge but those are very high end low volume irons maybe they make them in sets with few extra heads

Welcome to THP.

Those are certainly sweet irons you're looking at getting. I inquired a several months ago from a local authorized dealer here in the States about a similar combo, but there was no mention of a mark-up. And it's certainly possible he could sense I was merely inquiring for knowledge's sake and not looking to purchase then and there (or within the next few weeks) that I didn't get a fully straightforward answer.

I love the Muira irons, they are some of the nicest irons I've hit, is your heart set on them? or are you looking for a nice forged set period? I see you're a mid single digit, congrats on that achievement. There are a ton of great sticks out there that fit the bill especially the forged offerings from Cleveland and Callaway, the Cleveland 588 CB and MB are some of the best I've ever hit.

Thanks for the replies guys. Trout, I had a set of Miura cb301s for about 6 years and got rid of them at the end of last season as I fancied a change. Big mistake! Got a set of Nike Pro Combos but really wanted to go back to the feeling of a Miura.

Gotcha buddy you certainly know how good they are then. I hope you get them.

No surcharge on Miura that I know of I did a combo set two years ago and had no extra surcharge. However maybe they do things a bit differently in Europe?

Update - Just been informed that actually there is no surcharge for the combo set from Miura after all. Order therefore placed, should be here next week. Thanks for the replies guys.

Which shafts are you going with?

I assume Nick will build everything for you, but would you mind giving an overview of the process you went through, etc. I've heard very good things and it's something I'd be interested to do at some stage...

Update - Just been informed that actually there is no surcharge for the combo set from Miura after all. Order therefore placed, should be here next week. Thanks for the replies guys.

That's great news, I really like the Muira's a lot I could just never afford them lol. Have fun with them and post some pics!

Gone for KBS C taper in S+
Nick was really helpful. Spent about an hour and a half with him, would have been longer but I had to go to pick up my son from college! Nothing was rushed. We looked at different heads from different manufacturers (not just Miura) just to be sure there was nothing else out there that I liked. Then I tried different shafts including Nippon, Dynamic gold, Project X and KBS. The custom fit studio is indoors so all the feedback was through Trackman. We discounted some and had more shots with others. The numbers were consistently good for me with the C Tapers or Dynamic Gold Tour but I felt the C tapers were the best fit for me. We obviously looked at shaft length and lie angles. I went with 1" long and 2 degrees upright (I'm 6'3"). When we had finished there was no hard sell. Nick said he would work a price out and email it to me. I could then decide if I wanted to go with them or look elsewhere. The session did cost £60 but the price of the clubs was as good as I could find it elsewhere. I have been to quite a few custom fit places over the years including Ping at Gainsborough and Titleist at Celtic Manor in Wales but nothing comes close to the service and attention to detail that I received at Tour X golf. The Trackman really does take fitting to another level. I would defiantly recommend them mab13 just make sure you book in advance as I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment.

Very helpful - thanks.

I consistently hear that he's not all about the hard sell, he takes the time required as opposed to rushing through, etc. which I really like. And most of all, what a great experience given his background and cv.

Decision made, I'll give him a call. :-D

Back