Club Championship

J-Pin

Senior Hacker in Paradise
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I belong to a Men's Club here in Cali. I am a Board Member and at last night's meeting we got into a somewhat heated discussion about the Club Championship. Some feel that the Club Championship Flight should be played with handicaps while others feel that it should be played without handicaps.

We do have other Flights during the Club Championship but these are played with handicaps.

If you belong to a Men's/Women's Club. How do you handle your Club Championship Flight?

Thanks!

We use handicaps and have both gross and net winners. Of course, actual score counts and gets you in the championship flight. The net winner gets some prize, but the champion comes from the gross scores.

Either way someone will be upset in these things. Ideally everyone kept a legit handicap and it wouldnt matter...

It depends on how big the range is within the flight

We use handicaps and have both gross and net winners. Of course, actual score counts and gets you in the championship flight. The net winner gets some prize, but the champion comes from the gross scores.

Same at my club

I don't belong to a club, but I think whatever the top level competition is should be heads-up, no handicap. I'm a very high handicap and can easily shoot under my cap on a good day. I shouldn't be the overall winner because I happened to have a good day and put up a ridiculous net score. I would just expect to win my flight that day, not the overall.

I always thought the reason flights were made were to get rid of handicapping?? The way my club does it is stroke play rounds for seeding and then match play from there. Your handicap determines what flight you play in with zero handicap because of the designated flight.

The club I caddied at when I was younger did not have handicaps in the championship flight. It was a 2 day, 36 hole stroke play event. To qualify to be in the championship flight a member had to be a 6 or lower handicap.

We have two divisions and have a gross club champion and net club champion. Obviously the gross club championship would be composed of all the scratch golfers. This would eliminate the need for flights and I honestly don't understand why you would flight a club championship.

HC is used to make the flights, unless you sign up for champ flight, but then HC's are not used for scoring. The seniors and women's flight will have a gross and HC winner.

The championship flight at my club is for caps 3 and below. We have 4 or 5 total flights. Handicap is only used to place you in a flight. Format is straight up match play.

We have a Men's Match Play Championship (handicapped), which lasts all seasons and has around 50 participants. We also have a Club Championship (no handicap) that is 54 holes from the tees just in front of the championship tees, usually only about 5-10 people sign up for that.

Edit: The tips at my club are 7200, blue tees (where the Championship is played from) is 6950 yds or so.

Last edited:
Club Champion is the gross winner (no handicap). They also play it from the the tips!

Club Championship should be no handicap, at least 36 holes, and played from the tips IMHO.

Thanks Everyone.

Good information to share with Board Members.

I belong to a women's club. We play 36 holes.

Our Club Champion is always determined by gross score.

Then we have two flights: Low Score Net Flight 1; Low Score New Flight 2.

But really, who cares about Net? I care about gross score.

Several factors can determine the format of the tournament but the club champion should be based on gross score.

At my first club we had many competitive members even though they were not all low handicaps. We had a two day qualifier with gross score determining placement in flights with each flight having 16 players. The low 16 qualifiers were placed in the championship (gross) flight. After qualifying, all play was match play either gross or net depending on which division one was in.

Gross play was from the "tips"; other flights were from the regular tees.

At my current club there are too few competitive players so play is over two days with everyone in both gross and net divisions with the club champion being the low gross scorer. Prizes are given to first through third in gross and net with no double dipping. Top prize is low gross, second to low net, third to second place gross, etc.

Back