Using your phone as a scorecard and GPS app.

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
I have been using mine but I am going to leave it in the bag this week. I mainly use it as a scorecard and the Swing By Swing app allows me to track things like fairways hit, greens in regulation, puts, sand saves and all that but I am beginning to think that it is more of a distraction than what it is worth. I have a GPS watch and a rangefinder to manage each shot so I really don't use the GPS function of it much, if any. Anyway my cart buddy has his phone app going should I need a look at the hole. Sometimes I forget to log a hole and then I have to scramble to update it. The next time I play I am just going to go back to using a scorecard and see if it helps me maintain my focus on the big picture.

So, I wonder if anyone else has found a golf app to be a distraction for them and have ditched it and, if so, did they notice they played better. I mean, stats are fine and all but when I play poorly I know it and when I play well I know that as well.

I don't. I just use the scorecard and standalone GPS (though I haven't used it lately) and/or laser rangefinder.

You can write everything you need to on the scorecard and transfer it later. I don't even transfer my info, not sure why I even still do it since I never go back to it after figuring everything up.

I just use the score card. Still use my phone for distances as i dont have a laser

Using your phone as a scorecard and GPS app.

I use Golflogix for scorecard and gps. It is nice to show your partner what the hole looks like if he/she hasn't played the course before.
I use the scorecard to help track my year stats and rounds. Gives good long term feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use Swing by Swing for distance and scoring and it works well . I have it in a holder on my push-trolley. The only issue is putting because I have to carry my phone onto the green to record my approach distances,although this app doesn't record putt distances,only number of putts . I'm thinking of getting the Game Golf NFC tags but I'll have to take the phone out of my pocket for distances.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I used to use swing by swing, but have switched to hole 19 and like it quite a bit more.

I was getting a little too caught up in that as well. I never stopped using a score card because you never have to worry the battery died or the program needed to be reset or whatever the case. But its kind of funny I have both a gps and also use the phone app. My gps sometimes acts up and had to replace battery once and since downloading a phone app this season I have been using both just to compare which yardages (sometimes different) are more correct. But I've yet to actually determine that lol. But as for keeping basic total score there is the age old method I use that if paying enough attention is quite easy to remember in my head without even writing anything down. I just use the running count in relation to par method just like they do on leader boards. So if I start with a bogey, double, bogey, par, bogey I just add, stay status, or minus accordingly and of course goes +1,+3,+4,--,+5..... so heading into the 6th I know I'm at +5. And hopefully be at +4 after the 6th hole bird lol. But too bad its most probably heading to +7 or 8 instead lol. Anyway I know this is not at all new news but I am often surprised how many people don't keep score this way and still chose to add hole by hole instead. There have been times my score card blew away or whatever while I was putting or perhaps got wet in some rain, or perhaps I have no pencil. As long as we know the (just one simple number) score number in relation to par its almost impossible to not know where you were for the round.

I use the Nike golf app for scorekeeping and the Fungolf GPS for yardage if I need it. I honestly don't use the GPS too much, probably to my disadvantage. When I do though it's very easy for me to cycle between the two, and I don't find them being a distraction at all.

I use fungolf gps and haven't noticed any problems. On a really nice course I'd probably just ditch it and go yardage book/ scorecard and do it "old style"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use FreeCaddie for front, middle and back of the green yardage. I use MyScorecard website to manage scores & handicap.

I use my phone only for keeping my score.

I find using GPS on the phone to sometimes be a bit more of a pain than it's worth so I just use my rangefinder for distances unless I'm playing with someone who has a GPS and then I just go off that usually

I just use it for scoring and distances when I can't see the pin or my rangefinder won't register.

I use Golfshot GPS and have no issues

Have my phone paired with a smartwatch using Golfshot. Allows me to leave the phone in the cart and use the watch as a quick reference for distance and enter my score. Still tend to find the distance (on the watch and phone) at times are unreliable and could be off up to 20 yds. Still use the rangefinder a lot.

I use Hole 19 for both a score card and GPS, I don't own a GPS device, and have never found it to be a distraction. The only time I don't use it is when it's really cold and I wear gloves, I use a fingerprint to unlock my phone and it's a pain to take the glove off every time I want to use the phone.

i used sbs religiously for distance and tracking for at least 150 rounds up until the start of the summer. at that point i saw no reason to continue to track because i did nothing with the stats anyway. i quit using it for distance more recently as i have found the course markers and my judgement/eye sight to be a better determinant for my iron choice. i have found i am more likely to force a club to be long and/or be short trying to say use my 7 for 170 yards than i am picking a club and losing the "bravado" of pushing my whatever so far. so yes, it was a distraction

Back