looking for a driver that will improve my game

adamlewis45

Reaction score
Handicap
I started playing in April and my shot count has steadily started to come down (from 40+ over par to a 27 handicap) this is because of the improvement in my iron and short game, but my driving just lacks consistency and distance i fade a lot with my drives and only reach about 200-220 where with my irons the amount of draw i have is consistent with every shot, so I'm looking for something that will give me more accuracy and is easier to use, any suggestions around or up to £200 ($300)? i am also happy to buy second hand it doesn't need to be new.
Thanks for any replies.

My favorite driver that I have hit is the cobra fly z. I got back into the game after not playing for 5 years and really struggled off the tee. However, once I got the fly z in my bag it made my life a lot better. I was more accurate and much longer then before. Really easy to hit and it just goes for days. It has really come down in price the last month or so with all the new cobra releases. If you are looking for even more forgiveness then you could look into the fly z XL.

The options are endless. It is a good time to want/need a driver. Look at them all. I like that we have local course's that sell all brands, so there is a chance to demo the clubs live on the course and on the range plus they can do full fittings. We also have a great golf store not far away that carries every major OEM and even a couple of the smaller brands, and you can get fit and hit them all outdoors live, even in the winter.

i have found xhot, cleveland 588, titleist 910d2, to be forgiving and priced right. also, have the shaft cut down and try playing your driver at like 44.5". the shortened length really helps

Callaway XR or Cobra Fly Z. Both boast simply huge sweet spots, have outstanding stock shafts, and can be had for enough to even afford a lesson on that budget.

Callaway XR or Cobra Fly Z. Both boast simply huge sweet spots, have outstanding stock shafts, and can be had for enough to even afford a lesson on that budget.

Have to agree with Paladin on this one. For the price, both can be had affordably and offer good forgiveness with very good distance! I have an XR myself and hit it very well!

If looking used XR, cobra fly xl, Cleveland 588

Ping G25 9.5 is pure straight...and can be had cheap...enjoy

Ping G25 9.5 is pure straight...and can be had cheap...enjoy
The G25 was a good offering. I would be surprised to see a golfer of the OP's level need something with the low of a loft.

Are you push slicing the ball (good path but open club face) or are you coming outside in and swiping across the ball causing a pull slice ? Answering that may help people answer your question better.

Like the others have said, there are plenty of great clubs that fit the bill, and are adjustable so once you straighten out your swing, you can go from a draw bias to a neutral bias.

That being said, as a chronic slicer who used offset drivers and adjustable clubs in the draw setting, what got me worked out was a few lessons. Then I overcooked it into a hook :) Straightened out now though, my 910 D2 is set just one tick closed vs. my '14 Big Bertha that was on draw plus had the weight set all the way over to draw as well!

I am guessing that if you have a consistent draw with the irons, but fade/slice the driver, that your driver shaft is not as stiff as your iron shafts. Get fit if you can; if not, try to get your driver speed measured and match the shaft in whatever you buy to that speed.

Look at the Cobras first. Amp Cell, Bio Cell, Bio Cell +, Fly Z.

The older Cells are adjustable. ( Loft and Draw bias). Plus they are affordable and the different shafts are cheap.

Jack

Just to throw some offerings out there around the price point you mentioned:

Wilson Staff D200
Cobra FlyZ
Callaway Big Bertha ('14 release)
Callaway XR

The Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver is a great game improvment driver, very long and forgiving on off centre strikes and can be picked up for a song now.

Check out callawaypreowned.com and look for the big Bertha alpha 815. You should find a great deal on an incredibly forgiving driver.

The first driver that I bought was a Nike Covert 2.0 Tour... It was a good driver which help me improve alot. You should give it a look.

I would invest In a lesson or two first. In my oppinion, there isn't really a driver that will fix your slice. Not permanently anyway. A new driver may help with distance but not so much with accuracy.

Are you push slicing the ball (good path but open club face) or are you coming outside in and swiping across the ball causing a pull slice ? Answering that may help people answer your question better.
i push with a little open club face but even when i correct my head i still push the ball, the driver I'm using is ancient hasn't even got a make on it so i need an upgrade, its not totally the drivers fault but I'm looking for something that's just better to play with.
Thank you all for your replies i am heading to the golf shop this afternoon to try ut some of your suggestions.
Happy golfing guys.

This one!

Attachments

• sldr c sole.jpg
    sldr c sole.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
Thank you all for your replies,
I have just bought a Fly Z stiff shaft as my club head speed was 110 and as i haven't played for 9 weeks this is defiantly going to increase as i play over the summer. The club felt great and with it set just a little to the draw setting i started to draw it like my irons. Hopefully this added distance and accuracy will knock shots off my handicap once again this summer. Thanks again for your replies and suggestions they really helped :banana:

I have just bought a Fly Z stiff shaft as my club head speed was 110 and as i haven't played for 9 weeks this is defiantly going to increase as i play over the summer. The club felt great and with it set just a little to the draw setting i started to draw it like my irons. Hopefully this added distance and accuracy will knock shots off my handicap once again this summer. Thanks again for your replies and suggestions they really helped :banana:

NICE!! that is a great club... Enjoy!

Wow. You think a stiff will stand up to that swing speed? Do you have a smooth transition?

Rather smooth, that's the main thing I'm going to work on along with my ball striking as I'm ever so slightly towards the shat end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back