Your Take on PXG Golf?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
I just read a few articles on PXG Golf. A full set will cost 5000 dollars. They're supposed to be better than the other brands.

Nice objective, but like the guy said, and I agree, they're too expensive for me. I can't even get myself to buy at normal retail prices. And of course, it'll be a while before these sticks come to my turf for me to try out.

I also wonder how this works out when club preference is such a personal thing. If price = performance = preferences, we'd all be hitting Honma's now.

Your thoughts? Have you tried them?

I hit the irons, wedges and putter. They feel fantastic, and I think the clubs will be very highly received....if they actually get into people's hands. Wedges & irons are $300/club, I do not remember what the putters cost. Prob $400, which is not outrageous for the market segment the company is looking to enter.
I don't think that I would ever pay full price for a set of irons, but I am seriously considering buying a wedge (52*) because I hit it so well and it felt so good. I hit the TM and Callaway wedges right after the PXG wedge, and they did not feel as nice as the PXG wedge.

I'd love to give them a fair shake, but I'm not sure I'll ever be in a position in my life to be able to afford a $5000 set of golf clubs. This partly makes me not want to try them. If I demoed them and they feel and perform that much better than other clubs I'd resent playing anything else.

I started poking around their site after reading about all the pros who just signed on with them. $5000 for a full set though? Sorry, but unless you play for a living or you just have the means to drop that sort of cash on clubs, that's absolutely crazy IMO. I have no doubts that they feel great, but I'll stick with my 'cheap' clubs thank you very much.

Pass.
That price is insane, even if I could afford it......won a $600,000,000 lottery.
I would have a better chance of slashing my handicap by getting fitting for clubs and spending the remaining thousands of dollars on lessons, a physical trainer and greens fees on premium courses.

Pass.
That price is insane, even if I could afford it......won a $600,000,000 lottery.
I would have a better chance of slashing my handicap by getting fitting for clubs and spending the remaining thousands of dollars on lessons, a physical trainer and greens fees on premium courses.
You are very correct, and I like the way you think!

Look at it this way -

If you like the irons, and only play 5-PW, it is only $1800 for 6 clubs, custom fit to your specs. Not outrageous, but certainly not cheap. I am not saying I would do this, but if you are searching for the best for your game (by buying and selling multiple sets of irons every year), and these fit the bill, it could be a decent investment.

I've never understood the price argument, though one I've used myself, it doesn't really make sense. If you can't afford it, you're not the target market. I doubt Aston Martin gets hurt when I say, "$300,000 for a car, that's outrageous, who would ever buy that?" Same thing here. People who can afford them and like them will buy them because they can.

I don't know all of the ends and out surrounding the owner, though by the sounds, he's not a golf guy, which isn't really someone I would personally want to support with my golf business.

At that price I'd be scared to get them dirty.
I'll pass and stick with Callaway.

@bigtazzGOLF
Sent from Big Orange country
using Tapatalk #GoVols

I'll pass. Price point is absurd.

Price point will prevent me from ever owning any, but it doesn't bother me. Options are good.

Could be nice clubs but the price is ridiculous to me. Just wayyyy too many solid offerings for me to even give them a second look.

I've never understood the price argument, though one I've used myself, it doesn't really make sense. If you can't afford it, you're not the target market. I doubt Aston Martin gets hurt when I say, "$300,000 for a car, that's outrageous, who would ever buy that?" Same thing here. People who can afford them and like them will buy them because they can.

I don't know all of the ends and out surrounding the owner, though by the sounds, he's not a golf guy, which isn't really someone I would personally want to support with my golf business.

It certainly doesn't seem like the owner cares what the average golfer thinks about the pricing.

That said, I get the argument. When something doesn't make sense, it catches heat. What other iron set out there is selling for anywhere close to 2,500 dollars? Big gap, big reaction... Unless of course the irons are being made from ultra rare material and can justify it.

It certainly doesn't seem like the owner cares what the average golfer thinks about the pricing.

That said, I get the argument. When something doesn't make sense, it catches heat. What other iron set out there is selling for anywhere close to 2,500 dollars? Big gap, big reaction... Unless of course the irons are being made from ultra rare material and can justify it.

Like unobtanium :wink:

Made of unubtaniun.

Think there will still be the market that will buy them because they can. I'm far from that market, so doesn't concern me, but I don't think they'll completely fail either.

You are very correct, and I like the way you think!

Look at it this way -

If you like the irons, and only play 5-PW, it is only $1800 for 6 clubs, custom fit to your specs. Not outrageous, but certainly not cheap. I am not saying I would do this, but if you are searching for the best for your game (by buying and selling multiple sets of irons every year), and these fit the bill, it could be a decent investment.

I agree. If you like these clubs most people would spend less $$$ on these, than on switching irons every year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Think there will still be the market that will buy them because they can. I'm far from that market, so doesn't concern me, but I don't think they'll completely fail either.

I'm certain you're right, but that has to be a tiny segment. I see it no different from those who are buying 3-10,000 dollar Scotty Cameron's purely due to the limited nature of the putters... Except in this case there is zero prestige behind the name, and they aren't limited at all.

These are not much different in price than Epons or Miuras....or any other Japanese brand.

Like anything I'm sure there is a target market however limited it might seem. Depending on their manufacturing and inventory process, I can see the model being profitable.

I for one want to hit the clubs and see what all the fuss is about, but I know right now there's no way I could afford a full set.

Parson is dumping a lot of money into R&D and is focused on getting things right and releasing equipment only when they feel they have done that. He is going to catch heat for the price of the clubs and that the 99% of golfers aren't going want to play the clubs because of price.

i give him credit for taking the chance to dive into a market filled with established companies with some good products out there that golfers know and are familiar with.

I'm certain you're right, but that has to be a tiny segment. I see it no different from those who are buying 3-10,000 dollar Scotty Cameron's purely due to the limited nature of the putters... Except in this case there is zero prestige behind the name, and they aren't limited at all.

I agree with the name thing, for sure.

Though just did some calculations and Titleist T-MB 3-PW is over $2100 CND, maybe PXG is just setting trends, like $600 drivers.

Even if I could afford them, it wouldn't be the price for me. Just simple that it's not a golf guy behind the brand. Companies like Callaway have become hot because the people making decisions care about golf and are golfers. There's that relationship there.

EDIT: maybe he is a golfer, but thought I read in another thread that he wasn't

These are not much different in price than Epons or Miuras....or any other Japanese brand.

Yeah, I figured they were in the same realm.. 2k'ish.

And that's great for Japan haha

Back