Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The following is a press release:

PHOENIX (January 11, 2016) – Developing knowledge and drawing inspiration from sources as diverse as dragonfly wings and 18-wheelers, PING today launched its new G series of drivers, fairway woods, hybrids and irons, again advancing speed, distance and forgiveness to unprecedented levels without sacrificing other performance attributes. This year PING went one step further, creating a new club category with the G Crossover, combining the best of hybrid and iron technology.

The new products, which are all custom fit and built to precise specifications, can be pre-ordered beginning today at PING-authorized golf shops around the world.

“It’s a credit to the imagination and the disciplined approach of our engineering, design and research teams that we’ve elevated performance across every category in new and exciting ways, innovation that will make the game easier for golfers of every ability level,” said John A. Solheim, PING Chairman & CEO. “Our design process is different, as we gather information from the world around us, study new materials, and test rigorously to make sure our products give golfers meaningful results. The process leads to breakthroughs like Dragonfly Technology and Vortec Technology, found in the G drivers. We’ve also created a specialized heat-treatment process and COR-Eye Technology to make the G irons longer, higher-launching and more forgiving, a combination that’s very difficult to achieve. And with the new Crossover product line, an entirely new category, there’s a lot to be excited about.”

G Hybrids
An innovative tiered internal sole helps activate face flexing to power the ball off the face faster for greater distance. The ultra-thin crown allows for a low-back center of gravity to ensure high launch, reduced spin and a higher MOI for maximizing forgiveness. The high-strength Carpenter 455[SUP]®[/SUP] steel face is precision-machined to variable thickness, which saves weight and maximizes flexing to generate faster ball speeds across the face for consistently longer results. Like the G fairways, a unique process adds friction to the face to reduce spin. Crown turbulators and contrasting grooves on the face help provide a captured look and assist in aim and alignment, creating a consistently centered impact position.

- Available 17°, 19°, 22°, 26°, 30°
- Stock graphite shaft: PING Alta 70 (SR, R, S, X); Optional PING shaft ($30 upcharge): Tour 90 (R, S, X)
- U.S. MSRP $247.50

G_Hybrid_AdImage_Sole-XL.png

Good stuff on the whole line so far JMan. Do you have these in hand yet for review?

I ask as I'm curious as to the main differences between the Hybrid and Crossover Iron. In the description of the Crossover, it say's it is NOT a driving iron that it is much more forgiving and goes higher. Which to me is usually the hybrids job. So I'm wondering for someone who's irons end at the five. Do they go more for the hybrid or the crossover. I'm sure it will mainly come down to personal preference in look.

To me the Crossover, still looks pretty unforgiving and tough to hit. However, the $247 MSRP for a hybrid seems kind of steep. Maybe I'm just behind on the pricing these days.

Good stuff on the whole line so far JMan. Do you have these in hand yet for review?

I ask as I'm curious as to the main differences between the Hybrid and Crossover Iron. In the description of the Crossover, it say's it is NOT a driving iron that it is much more forgiving and goes higher. Which to me is usually the hybrids job. So I'm wondering for someone who's irons end at the five. Do they go more for the hybrid or the crossover. I'm sure it will mainly come down to personal preference in look.

To me the Crossover, still looks pretty unforgiving and tough to hit. However, the $247 MSRP for a hybrid seems kind of steep. Maybe I'm just behind on the pricing these days.

My guess is it comes down to whether or not you prefer a wood-type or iron-type hybrid. I love long irons - the G15 4i might have been one of my favorite-ever clubs, but would always like a bit more forgiveness. I could see going 5-U in the G and throwing the crossover there for me w/ the AWT shaft, then putting a 3h behind it.

Curious why they didn't go with adjustability... Seems like everything has that option these days, and i'm afraid to get locked into one thing without being able to tweak it..

My guess is it comes down to whether or not you prefer a wood-type or iron-type hybrid. I love long irons - the G15 4i might have been one of my favorite-ever clubs, but would always like a bit more forgiveness. I could see going 5-U in the G and throwing the crossover there for me w/ the AWT shaft, then putting a 3h behind it.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking it comes down to, is personal preference of the look. I know some who just absolutely hate looking at a hybrid at address, but me it gives me a bit of confidence looking down and seeing a pretty good size head for a shot of 180 or more yards.

Curious why they didn't go with adjustability... Seems like everything has that option these days, and i'm afraid to get locked into one thing without being able to tweak it..

I think part of it is because PING assumes/strongly recommends that people get custom fit before buying. My guess is that this can be bent weak/strong like the irons.

I think part of it is because PING assumes/strongly recommends that people get custom fit before buying. My guess is that this can be bent weak/strong like the irons.
That makes sense... and club fitting is something i should take more stock in, for 2016...

• Staff

No, they will be into THP hq soon I would venture.
Its not totally uncommon in a hybrid still, look at the Apex.

Ugh, turbulators on the hybrid when they admit it does nothing. It does frame the ball well and create continuity, but just pointless imo. Liked the clean look of the G30 a lot.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking it comes down to, is personal preference of the look. I know some who just absolutely hate looking at a hybrid at address, but me it gives me a bit of confidence looking down and seeing a pretty good size head for a shot of 180 or more yards.

That's how I see it too. Similar to Srixon u45 or callaway apex ut

Ugh, turbulators on the hybrid when they admit it does nothing. It does frame the ball well and create continuity, but just pointless imo. Liked the clean look of the G30 a lot.

I dunno, I'm glad to see them make it to the hybo. They are actually really solid alignment aids and they don't do anything but that on the fairways either yet they had them last year (and it was proved to me in review that they DO aid in alignment). Makes sense to continue them onto the hybo's in the end.

I haven't hit anything from the Ping lineup in over a year. Hybrids are the one area of my game that I feel could use a change this year. Wouldn't mind seeing how these feel. The 22 and 26 degree options are there.

I haven't played anything Ping since the g2 lineup.. Really interested in the items from this year. Hoping my shop's demo clubs get there quickly.

I've been playing Ping irons for 10 years but never got a long with the hybrids, weird. But I will give these a shot.

I dunno, I'm glad to see them make it to the hybo. They are actually really solid alignment aids and they don't do anything but that on the fairways either yet they had them last year (and it was proved to me in review that they DO aid in alignment). Makes sense to continue them onto the hybo's in the end.
I agree. I was considering the G30 until I saw the G in person. I was surprised how much I liked it at address. Those turbs really frame well at address and aren't distracting in anyway like I thought they would.

I got a 4 hybrid to go with the Ping G irons 5-UW. The plan was to see how well the 4 (22 deg) would bridge the yardage gap between my new 5 iron (24 deg) and my old 2 hybrid (18 deg). The short answer is that the data are incomplete but my typical Ping 4 yardage of 185 seems to fit nicely between my 2 hybrid at 200 and my 5 iron at roughly 170.

Disclaimer:

I played with them at our sim league tonight. This is a SportsCoach unit, and I was playing a Bridgestone e6 ball. During range time, my distances for my old clubs were normal, and that is where I got the Ping G 4 yardage of 185-ish. However, during course play, both my opponent and I saw total distances off about 20% vs our normal results. That's why I say the results are incomplete. Plus, I was not swinging well, even by my standards

The club is crazy easy to hit, forgiving, decent length, and straight. Straight in the sense that my out-to-in swing path and closed clubface yielded straight pulls with negligible draw or fade. The distances of 155-160 on the course were about 20% lower than my range values, which are more typical of my simulator results.

I'm notorious for having painful transitions to new clubs, especially irons. For hybrids, I hit them pretty well from the beginning, and this one is the best first experience I've had. This one's gonna stay in the bag, for sure.

Also, the look of the club in general and the matte black finish in particular generated much drooling.

I haven't seen these, do they have a large footprint?

I haven't seen these, do they have a large footprint?

To my eye they looked longer from heel to toe but from face to the back looked narrower than the G25/30 hybrids.
Sort of like the shape of the 588 hybrid.

Overall though I would say the footprint is pretty large or at least in line with game improvement hybrids.

A lot of people are making a big deal over the turbulators but i don't mind them. They line up the ball well, and the club is very easy to hit.

Played the G25 hybrid two years ago. Been looking at G30 (4h) for a while to see if I can get one for a good price. Would G be a better buy ? Heard some say it is close to the Anser hybrid, which for many was one of the better models from Ping. Anyone tried both the G30 and G ?

I hit the G hybrid last week. Only took a few swings but liked how it felt. I really like how it sets up behind the ball. The face is almost a shiny/silver color and it looks really good to me. Center strikes were nice and soft. I need to get on the trackman next time I'm at my local shop.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I went to a Ping demo day to specifically hit the G hybrids as I just put a set of G irons into my bag and am comfortable with the 5-U but not my 4 iron. I briefly owned the G25 hybrids and compared to them the G is an upgrade. I never even noticed the turbulators. It was at least a 3 club into the wind day on the range. I had really no idea how far they flew because of the wind factor and I didn't utilize their launch monitor as they had a pretty steady crowd trying out the drivers. The Alta 70 shaft fit me well and I was hitting many solid shots with a nice high ball flight with few operator induced balloon balls. I probably hit about 75 balls and really liked the G Hybrid. However, I also hit the Crossover 4 iron. While I really, really, really liked the G hybrid, I loved the Crossover. My ball flight was noticeably lower and wind piercing with the Crossover but I could also hit a higher ball when I wanted. I ordered the Crossover on the spot. After I receive the Crossover and find out how that fits my bag, I'm either going to order a 2 or 3 G Hybrid to replace my current 3 hybrid.

My 17* arrived today. Looking forward to testing this out.

IMG_4044_zpsq1eyie0d.jpg

IMG_4039_zpswvhj2tez.jpg

My 17* arrived today. Looking forward to testing this out.

IMG_4044_zpsq1eyie0d.jpg

IMG_4039_zpswvhj2tez.jpg

Really like the G hybrids. It's too bad I need 4 of them!

Back