Official Everything Youth Golf Thread

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
With a few folks around here getting their kids involved in golf, some contemplating it, and others coaching I'd like to propose a "Kids Golf" subforum which can discuss equipment, tips on getting them interested in the sport, etc.

ETA: We have an official youth golf thread! Discuss "all things kids for all things golf" here!

Last edited:
Great thread idea.

I've introduced my kids to the game. Bought them clubs, enrolled them in clinics/camps, etc. They come with me to a Children's course and play occasionally, but mostly for the ice cream together after the round. They seem to be passionate about team sports - volleyball, basketball, baseball/softball - so I don't push them.

With a few folks around here getting their kids involved in golf, some contemplating it, and others coaching I'd like to propose a "Kids Golf" subforum which can discuss equipment, tips on getting them interested in the sport, etc.
That's beauty of the "Golf Talk" subforum. Literally EVERYTHING related to golf chat goes in there without having to be directed to another subforum. There are TONS of threads dedicated to Youth Golf, maybe another one could get started dedicated to "Everything Youth Golf" or something?

Great idea. Camps around here don't start until kids are 3. My son is only two and he loves 'hitting balls' in the front yard. Which consists of him carrying my old chipo and throwing a golf ball around. Can't wait to take him with me. I'm not going to force it on him though.

I took the advice of War Eagle and changed the name of this thread, which can now be completely dedicated to all things youth golf.

I took the advice of War Eagle and changed the name of this thread, which can now be completely dedicated to all things youth golf.
Thanks!

might want to take this out of the tech support subforum though...

My son told me he wants to not play baseball this summer and really work on golf. I will miss going to his ball games but I am also excited to spend lots of range time together and watch him work with his instructor

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've got twin boys, they'll be 10 in a week, and both are big into basketball and baseball. Since that creates an "off season" they both gave golf a go this past summer. One took right to it and has had multiple lessons and just joined the JR NCGA. The other one thinks he need to hit it hard like a baseball and if every shot doesn't go right where he planned it's a world just ended fit.

The one who really likes it goes with me every Sunday morning. The biggest problem is he refuses to tee off from the forward tees on most hole, "if daddy can do it so can I" attitude. The other one has found joy in being my "caddie" when he comes along.

All in all I enjoy every second of it. I coach them in basketball and baseball so this gives us a chance to be father and sons enjoying something together instead of me being coach all the time. I'll give them a few pointers when they ask but no coaching.

A few weeks ago it was myself, one of the twins, my usual partner who is 60 and we got paired up with a guy who is 91. So we had 9,36,60, and 91. All playing the same sport, competing and having fun. One of the many reasons I love this game!

A few weeks ago it was myself, one of the twins, my usual partner who is 60 and we got paired up with a guy who is 91. So we had 9,36,60, and 91. All playing the same sport, competing and having fun. One of the many reasons I love this game!

That's awesome. Essentially four generations playing together. That's crazy. What other sport can you do that in?

My son has a couple of plastic golf sets that he plays around with on occasion. I have thought about getting him a real set of clubs but I'm not sure just yet if I want to do that. He'll be 5 this summer. Most of the places around here won't take a kid until they are 5 anyway. But my question is, do I buy used equipment or new? I think the US Kids sets can be had for like $70 on sale new or I can get a used set for like $25. Are all the kids sets just about the same?

My son told me he wants to not play baseball this summer and really work on golf. I will miss going to his ball games but I am also excited to spend lots of range time together and watch him work with his instructor

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I would pay a lot of money to have either of my kids say that to me. #jealous

Great idea. Camps around here don't start until kids are 3. My son is only two and he loves 'hitting balls' in the front yard. Which consists of him carrying my old chipo and throwing a golf ball around. Can't wait to take him with me. I'm not going to force it on him though.
Where are you going for camps that start at 3? Everything I've seen up here is 6 and up. My little guy is 4 and is ready to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Where are you going for camps that start at 3? Everything I've seen up here is 6 and up. My little guy is 4 and is ready to go

Of course I found first tee and they have programs for 4 year old. Letmegooglethatforyou.com

At our local par 3 through our Golf HQ

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My boys (8 and 5) will be doing PGA Junior League this summer. The 8 year-old did it last year and had a blast. It is basically Ryder Cup four-ball with a high score of 8. You hit 8, you pick up. Both boys will also be doing the Drive, Chip, and Putt this year as well as playing 1 or 2 tournaments. Should be a fun Summer!

My son is very disappointed that our home course closed, he took golf lessons there the past two summers. We're hopeful that the course is purchased quickly and opened in the spring, otherwise I'll have to figure out if one of the private courses would allow him to take lessons there. I know one of them was talking about starting up a PGA Junior program but didn't have enough kids, and the other had so many kids one of his friends ended up dropping out. His parents told me they were paying for him to stand around holding a club rather than learning anything there were so many kids vs. too few instructors.

Got my son started and he did a golf camp and got junior certified. Started with a set of driver, 7 iron and putter from tommy armor and bag that fit him.

Just upgraded him via a thrift store find some old school titleist trex set. putter, driver, 3 wood and 6 and 8 irons I couldn't pass up. Now we just head to the range often, he likes trying to hit out of the practice bunker and take him putting and we do miniature golf too as well. I am planning to take him to a par 3 course to actually be on a course to play which I think he will have fun with.

My daughter is thinking about taking the first level of the first tee program here. She's interested in golf, but gets frustrated easily because she has a terrible swing. Some thing I'm not going to correct , I've seen dads try to teach their kids and I don't want to fall down that rabbit hole. I'm not qualified to get my own swing right, certainly not able to teach her how. Hoping she decides to go for it and that she learns to enjoy the game.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Our local course has a great kids instructor. She's already signing up kids for weekly lessons and we just signed my son up. He's 6 and just outgrew his first set. Looking to get the cobra set and was wondering if anyone else has any experience with them? He likes it but sometimes I think he likes to keep score and replace divots with sand more. Lol as long as he is having fun I'm happy.

So the thread on throwing/slamming clubs has got me thinking ... if you play with your kids, how will you dissuade them from doing such? I know it starts with our own games, and not letting frustrations manifest in immature behavior. For me, I think beyond that ... if my kiddo displays such behavior, it'll be time to simply pack up and head off the course. How would you deal with such an issue?

My sons golf lessons started with etiquette and manners on the course. The pro would make all the kids take their hats off and shake hands at the beginning of the lesson and the end. He also discussed on course behavior a lot, so much so that when I let out an "aw CRAP" on the course he told me I wasn't supposed to do that :)

If he did it on the course, he'd get 1 warning. He does it again, we leave and he doesn't go back for a while. That's how I'd handle it if and when it'll come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the thread on throwing/slamming clubs has got me thinking ... if you play with your kids, how will you dissuade them from doing such? I know it starts with our own games, and not letting frustrations manifest in immature behavior. For me, I think beyond that ... if my kiddo displays such behavior, it'll be time to simply pack up and head off the course. How would you deal with such an issue?

I think packing up and leaving is a solid choice. Definitely have to have a conversation about golf being a game, and it's supposed to be fun. It's ok to be disappointed with a shot, but getting angry is not fun, and it makes others uncomfortable which means they're not having fun. Personally if I can see the humor in hitting a really terrible shot it's easier for me to shake it off. So I think with my kid, trying to teach her to be able to laugh off a bad shot while she's young will help avoid the situation to some extent.

We have a middle school golf team that only has two matches (both at Reynolds Plantation, I'm jealous), but we're trying to start the kids early and prepare them for high school golf. Our high school focus days are Mon/Wed/Fri, but our Middle School comes on Tues/Thurs. So many of these kids have never even held a golf club before, so we started out just putting and yesterday we went to the range. It was rough. Unfortunately, just about every kid had adult clubs that were way too big for them. All I really focused on was grip and bringing the club back. Not many balls made it too far off of the driving range tee box, but I tried to keep it low-pressure and make it fun. Many would miss the first couple of swings and then hit it on the third and I'd say, "Well, we didn't strike out, right?" Just getting contact and getting the ball to go straight is an accomplishment and when they see that as the goal, they would give me a smile.

God bless golf teachers, especially those that teach younger kids. If you have a younger kid that is starting out and taking lessons, feel free to share some basic tips you're seeing that I could maybe use.

Back