The Subaru thread

Shout out to my local dealership in Olathe, KS.

I had a low beam headlight go out. So I went to the store and bought a new bub and started to replace it. I noticed that I could easily bust the plug it goes into and thought that could be a major issue if I did it. So I called them up and asked what it costs to replace the bulb and they quoted me 40 bucks (plus tax). I needed it done before I went out of town the first week of February, so I got it in and got the work done. 43 bucks and change. Hated spending that much to put in a $16 bulb, but it beat the alternative if I had messed it up and had to get a whole new housing. (Thanks to jrod for letting me know it was a fair price!)

So, the first time I needed the lights was on our way back from the airport on Feb 6. And I had no light on the driver's side still. High beam yes, no low beam. Called them up and let them know it wasn't working that next Monday morning, and they got me in on Tuesday the 11th. They said somehow the bulb melted some strap or connection and they need to order a whole new light housing. I am like oh crap, but they said they would do a good will warranty on it. They ordered it and said it would be in on Monday, so I made an appointment for this past Tuesday. Got there at 8:30, and by 10:00 I was driving out with it fixed finally.

Having to pay for a new housing would have been devastating right now, and if they had somehow said it wouldn't be covered by them, it would have been a bad deal. I'd have done it and could have done it, but it definitely wasn't in the budget. I am glad they basically admitted it was their fault after Jrod told me how much it would cost to replace it. If they had told me I would have had to pay for some reason, it would have sucked.

Awesome! That's the dealership where I got my first Subaru, a WRX wagon.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Awesome! That's the dealership where I got my first Subaru, a WRX wagon.
I am very happy with them. Strange to say about a dealership, but I'd go back.

I really want a bugeye wagon..

I've always liked a Subaru, but never could get my wife to get around the looks of the 90's/early 2000 models in order to look for one when we were searching for a car at the end of last year. Then while at the Chicago Auto Show, I dragged her to the test drive of one. The guy with us told me to give it gas around the turnaround in order to get the AWD to kick in (it was snowy and perfect conditions to show off a Subaru) and when it did, and not one of the wheels spun, my wife's eye lit up and she got all excited. Needless to say, since then she wants a Subaru.

Meant to post this over the weekend. Said good bye to my Baja for this - Subaru Crosstrek.

uploadfromtaptalk1399940391715.jpg

Meant to post this over the weekend. Said good bye to my Baja for this - Subaru Crosstrek.

View attachment 14573

I really really wish they still made the baja. I talked to a subaru sales manager once about why they got rid of it. His response was that it was not a good seller as a new car, but over the top popular on the used car market for some reason. I would love to get one for my youngest son, but they still want over $10K for most of them and they have well over 100k miles!! At least around KC. If anyone within a couple of states of MO hears of a good deal on a baja, let me know. I may jump on it. I'm always scouting craigslist for them.

I really really wish they still made the baja. I talked to a subaru sales manager once about why they got rid of it. His response was that it was not a good seller as a new car, but over the top popular on the used car market for some reason. I would love to get one for my youngest son, but they still want over $10K for most of them and they have well over 100k miles!! At least around KC. If anyone within a couple of states of MO hears of a good deal on a baja, let me know. I may jump on it. I'm always scouting craigslist for them.

When I asked the guys at the dealership they said that the Baja had a short shelf life. What they meant was that the car was popular for a little while and then sales dropped off.

What is interesting is that once they get a used one in - they are selling them right away. Another sales guy asked me while I was there about my Baja as he was interested in buying right from the dealership.

This is awesome that there's a subie thread on these forums. Once I moved out of the northwest to Vegas I no longer had the need for AWD so I decided to let her go but I still miss both of the Subies I've owned.

This is me messing around before snowboarding one morning at Alpental an hour outside Seattle.

This is awesome that there's a subie thread on these forums. Once I moved out of the northwest to Vegas I no longer had the need for AWD so I decided to let her go but I still miss both of the Subies I've owned.

This is me messing around before snowboarding one morning at Alpental an hour outside Seattle.

That was a cool video. The guy laughing while taping was cracking me up. Kind of reminded me of a Beavis and Butthead laugh.

Haha that's awesome. I think I'm gonna call him right now and tell him you said that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just went on my subis first long(er) road trip, 800 miles of coast and mountain highways threw northern California, the redwoods and back around southern Oregon. I don't plan on ever getting rid of this car, it was flawless.

su8ygazy.jpg

Avenue of giants.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

hmm.. thinking about trading/selling my wheels..

Wife got a 2011 Outback new a few years back. It's the first car I've owned that I absolutely insist on getting serviced by the dealer, even if it means driving across town and spending double on a basic oil change. It's not über sexy by any stretch, but it's such a solid, practical, comfortable vehicle that I want it to last as long as possible. Love that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm.. thinking about trading/selling my wheels..
At what car are you looking?

Wife got a 2011 Outback new a few years back. It's the first car I've owned that I absolutely insist on getting serviced by the dealer, even if it means driving across town and spending double on a basic oil change. It's not über sexy by any stretch, but it's such a solid, practical, comfortable vehicle that I want it to last as long as possible. Love that car.
Love my 2010 Outback. I service it regularly, but not at the dealer.

No i literally meant my wheels.. MSR 169 in black.. Not sure how much theyre worth though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

No i literally meant my wheels.. MSR 169 in black.. Not sure how much theyre worth though.

Used wheels typically aren't worth a whole lot unless they are particularly desired due to low weight or something like that.

Used wheels typically aren't worth a whole lot unless they are particularly desired due to low weight or something like that.

They were $750 with tires, and the tires arent great. They should be at least 600 now..

Ah, gotcha.

They were $750 with tires, and the tires arent great. They should be at least 600 now..

if you paid $750 with tires and then drove on them at all. You will really be lucky to get 400-500 at most. I am a huge subaru guy. Right now on my fourth impreza. Also had an outback OBS. The one in my pic is my second one. Currently have a 2000 2.5 Rs coupe in blue ridge pearl. Motor is currently pulled as I'm swapping for a USDM 07 sti ej257 and sti 6-speed. Already have the brembos on front and rear. Coil overs, JDM ver.8 STi seats, Enkei EPF01 17x9.5 rims in gold wrapped in Azeris Rt615's. Already have 95% of the suspension work taken care of. Just waiting to finish the swap. Still need my wiring harness merged. Can't believe I just found this thread.

I used to do basic stuff on my own, but I am by no means a gear head so anything beyond an oil and filter and maybe spark plugs, I don't trust myself do not accidentally do something detrimental. I've twice been screwed by taking vehicles to quick specialty shops that focus on oil changes and then try to gouge the customer for unneeded stuff, both times had the filter put on incorrectly and then had the service light come on because of low oil levels. We have the Suby and a Veloster and both the local dealers seem to have good competent shops. Helps with resale too since they have all our maintenance records, although I doubt we will ever sell the Outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Subaru thread

I don't have a Suburu, but have always liked them. Thought I'd share a story with you.

20 years ago, a very good friend of mine drove a Subie 4WD wagon. One day on his way to work, an 18-wheeler in the adjacent lane turned into his lane and clipped his rear quarter at highway speed. His car turned sideways and the truck slammed into his side. The truck pushed him sideways for half of a mile before they came to a stop.

He wasn't hurt. The car was even repairable. Was always very impressed.

Last edited:
honestly thinking about selling my car and upgrading to an early model XT or something of the sorts. I've seen quite a few in the $4-5k range, and I've seen my kind of car go for as much as $3k stock, and mine has a bit of money into it (roughly $2500)

Well received my wiring harness on Friday after work. was golfing all weekend so wasn't able to even start dropping the motor in yet. Instead took some time and checked all the bulk heads. And BOOM after looking at a few of the bulk heads realized that i was sent the wrong harness. So back it goes and more time i have to wait to finish the swap. On a good note in 4 days played 72 holes of golf and Subaru related ordered a new set of rims for my track only tires. Ordered a set of Enkei RPF1's in 17x9 in magnesium blue custom powder coated.

I love those wheels. so damn expensive though.

Back