The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the rule that Louisville and Auburn have a coin toss to determine former UGA players?

Pretty sure that's the rule.

Louisville takes the ones from Auburn. Like Mike Dyer

Isn't the rule that Louisville and Auburn have a coin toss to determine former UGA players?

Pretty sure that's the rule.

My sources tell me they didn't have an empty roster spot but were allowing previous UGA players take manners into their own hands to create one.

I'll also add...

Nothing frustrates me more in CFB than players not being able to profit off of their image. The NCAA, schools and numerous businesses profit off of these players' images in the form of jersey sales, t-shirt sales, etc. They are making money directly because of the player, but the player gets nothing from those sales.

Then, when someone wants to pay a player for his autograph-- his own signature-- the NCAA rules bar it. Nonsensical.

People want a Gurley signature because of Gurley, not because of UGA or the NCAA. It's patently ridiculous that he cannot make a profit off of someone wanting his signature.

More over, when UGA holds its "fan day" and has Gurley, et al, signing autographs for free, tons of people are lining up to get those signatures and them sell them. Again -- without the players getting anything.

The CFB compensation issue is a murky one. But allowing a player to profit on his own image is crystal clear. It should be permitted.

I'll also add...

Nothing frustrates me more in CFB than players not being able to profit off of their image. The NCAA, schools and numerous businesses profit off of these players' images in the form of jersey sales, t-shirt sales, etc. They are making money directly because of the player, but the player gets nothing from those sales.

Then, when someone wants to pay a player for his autograph-- his own signature-- the NCAA rules bar it. Nonsensical.

People want a Gurley signature because of Gurley, not because of UGA or the NCAA. It's patently ridiculous that he cannot make a profit off of someone wanting his signature.

More over, when UGA holds its "fan day" and has Gurley, et al, signing autographs for free, tons of people are lining up to get those signatures and them sell them. Again -- without the players getting anything.

The CFB compensation issue is a murky one. But allowing a player to profit on his own image is crystal clear. It should be permitted.

Can the man get an AMEN!!!!

I'll also add...

while I completely agree with your sentiment, and think the rule is awful, it's still a rule, and all the kids playing any sport know it. It's a bad rule, but still a rule. At least for now. Best I heard was from Pat Forde a minute ago... "when I get pulled over for going 95, I can't tell the cop it's a bad speed limit. I know the speed limit, it's on me".

while I completely agree with your sentiment, and think the rule is awful, it's still a rule, and all the kids playing any sport know it. It's a bad rule, but still a rule. At least for now. Best I heard was from Pat Forde a minute ago... "when I get pulled over for going 95, I can't tell the cop it's a bad speed limit. I know the speed limit, it's on me".

It is the current rule.

Jim Crow laws used to be the law as well.

Certainly not implying a racial context to the autograph issue. Only that saying "it's a rule" isn't always the best justification.

Apparently the accuser has withdrawn her sexual assault claim in the Treon Harris ordeal.

It is the current rule.

Jim Crow laws used to be the law as well.

Certainly not implying a racial context to the autograph issue. Only that saying "it's a rule" isn't always the best justification.

I agree, that's why I said "for now". I think your example makes perfect sense, not racial, but rules, laws, systems evolve. This will change within the next few years but he knew what would happen if he was caught.

This whole thing gets my goat but the fact remains that the NCAA still has those archaic rules in place and Todd did allegedly sign autographs. Now whether UGA takes the same stance as TA&M and denies everything and no agents come forward to testify remains to be seen. As a UGA fan I believe Gurley is now in training for the NFL Combine next year (sorry Auburn and/or Louisville, he won't be staying in college :smile )

I agree, that's why I said "for now". I think your example makes perfect sense, not racial, but rules, laws, systems evolve. This will change within the next few years but he knew what would happen if he was caught.
I honestly think the NCAA will not look remotely the same a few years from now as compared to what it currently is.

This whole thing gets my goat but the fact remains that the NCAA still has those archaic rules in place and Todd did allegedly sign autographs. Now whether UGA takes the same stance as TA&M and denies everything and no agents come forward to testify remains to be seen. As a UGA fan I believe Gurley is now in training for the NFL Combine next year (sorry Auburn and/or Louisville, he won't be staying in college :smile )

I heard on ESPN this morning that the NCAA doesn't have proof that he took the money. He can sign all the autographs he wants, as long as no money goes into his hands.

He should have taken his Dad or Pastor with him. Let them handle the money. Plausible deniability. Worked for a couple other folks recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll also add...

I agree 100% with you. It is ridiculous what the NCAA does to student athletes.

Auburn opens as a -3 road favorite @ Starkville this week. Prescott is a beast and they look to be playing great. Won't be easy, but after holding LSU to 0-13 on 3rd downs (I still can't believe they did that), I'm confident that the defense will show up and Auburn will survive another week in what is a BRUTAL schedule.

But I will say that if Auburn loses a game, it should be now and not to UGA or Bama at the end of the year for the sake of getting to Atlanta and possibly the Playoff.

Here's the remaining schedule: @ Miss. State, vs. Carolina, @ Ole Miss, vs. A&M, @ UGA, vs. Samford, and @ Alabama

they'll lose to samford. go dawgs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gurley's doing it wrong, Auburn pays about 180k for only one signature..... on that letter of intent.

Red River Rivalry. Tomorrow is either one of the greatest days in college football, or one of the worst. Just depends on what side of the 50 yard line you are sitting. Boomer Sooner!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. 18 Gorillas Set to Host Hornets for Homecoming Saturday

The Pittsburg State University football team, the No. 18 ranked team in NCAA Division II, will return to Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith Stadium Saturday (Oct. 11) to face MIAA rival Emporia State University for the Gorillas' Homecoming Game. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. (CDT).

Pittsburg State, the winningest all-time NCAA Division II program, brings a 4-1 record into Saturday's action. The Gorillas posted a 23-13 road win over Missouri Western State University in their last action Saturday (Oct. 4).

Emporia State is 3-2 on the season after claiming a 37-22 home win over Lindenwood University last Saturday (Oct. 4).

This will be the 93rd all-time meeting between the Gorillas and the Hornets in a series that dates all the way back to the 1915 season. The Pitt State-Emporia State series is the ninth-longest rivalry in NCAA Division II football. Pitt State holds a commanding 58-32-2 advantage in the series. The Gorillas are 28-16-1 vs. the Hornets in Pittsburg and 30-16-1 vs. the Hornets at Emporia all-time. Pitt State is 30-5 in its last 35 meetings against Emporia State and the Gorillas have won 18 of the last 19 encounters in Pittsburg, dating back to the 1975 season. The last time the two teams met, Pitt State posted a 38-14 win in Pittsburg on Sept. 10, 2011.

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/news/2014/10/8/FB_1008144156.aspx

Was gonna post that too... Yet another thing we all knew but sad to hear. Nothing will happen to them. Winston is also linked to the same autograph guy as Gurley, has over 70 autographs for sale

It is amazing he is still playing.

It is amazing he is still playing.

I bet when it's all said and done, FSU will wish they hadn't played him.

I bet when it's all said and done, FSU will wish they hadn't played him.

It's interesting. I don't think the NCAA wants any part of the situation. If he gets kicked out of school, the situation resolves itself for the NCAA and they don't have to mess with the difficult question of whether FSU played a player that should have been ineligible. I suspect they'll just wait for the disciplinary committee to make whatever ruling they want and then they'll take up the question of whether there should be any sanctions for the coverup.

That piece on Sooner's Sterling Shepherd on Game Day got it dusty in here. Wasn't familiar with his story. Touching.

That piece on Sooner's Sterling Shepherd on Game Day got it dusty in here. Wasn't familiar with his story. Touching.

Agreed. It was dusty in my house too.

Just sat down for some UGA and Mizzou. #GoDawgs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back