tbuis13

Slacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Lately my misses with the irons have been push-fades. Could having the ball too far back in the stance contribute to this? My ball position does seem to be closer to my back foot than most players. 4-5i being roughly a ball to a ball and a half forward of center, 6-8i pretty much centered and moving back about one ball width with each club down from there.

I know there are a myriad of factors that play into the golf swing, just trying to figure out if this could be creating or at least amplifying the issue. Getting the ball in the proper position, while it may not fix the issue, could at least remove one variables.

Have you tried strengthening your grip to turn that push fade into a draw?

Saw an instructor on golf channel say all irons should be played off just in front of the zipper. His check was take the club hold it up your ear then drop straight down and that is where the irons should be. For woods take it for armpit of front shoulder and that's where it should be for woods.

i had an instructor tell me to,play it in the same spot and just alter width stance based on type of club (short iron, middle iron, etc)

Could be a few things. Consistent ball placement in your swing it key, but you're swing can also have an effect, as you know and said. You could, have the ball to far back, and not be squaring up the face before getting to the ball. You could also have it to far forward, but an OTT swing, with to much hip and pulling though of the hands could also lead to a fade.

Head to the range, grab some extra irons and make yourself a T square. Start with your wedge in the middle, then move the ball around a half to one ball forward with every other club until you get to your front heal with the driver.

Have you tried strengthening your grip to turn that push fade into a draw?
I haven't fiddled with my grip in a long time, so I'd be surprised if that's it.

I haven't fiddled with my grip in a long time, so I'd be surprised if that's it.

A push fade is a push with an open face, and strengthening your grip will close the face earlier in the swing to some degree.

A true draw is a push-draw. One that starts right of the target line (for a right handed player) and falls back to the target line. So if your push doesn't start too far right it's not the problem.

Attempting to get the path too close to zero for the hope of a straight shot is probably the most difficult thing to do. Then you may struggle with over fades or over draws and would have to adjust your aim to try and hit close to what you are aiming at.

My grip is a big factor when it comes to hitting draws and fades. I play my irons dead center at my zipper line. Hybrids slightly forward, woods even more forward than the hybrids and driver right off the left heel.

It sounds to me like your ball position is fine and you are just getting out in front of the ball at impact. Changing your grip could make the issue worse if this is the case. try to square up the front foot first. If that doesn't work then try to keep your back to the target a fraction longer. This will allow the arms to drop down first and get in front of your chest.

Typically with a push fade or fade the chest is leading the arms. This leaves the face open on an inside club path. The goal is to keep the arms in front of the chest just like they were at address. Give these two tips a try before you start randomly adjusting other aspects of the swing.

Typically with a push fade or fade the chest is leading the arms.
Thanks Freddie, hit a few plastic golf balls before work. I think that accurately describes what's going on. Had a slight feeling of my arms dragging behind through contact.

Back