Thread: How to measure length of irons?

Handicap
    Thanks

How to measure length of irons?

TM told me that they added 1/2" to my R9's and when I had midsize TV's put on I had them add another 1/2" per my recent fitting. How do you properly measure the length of a golf club? I read somewhere that you basically take a yardstick to the heel of the club to 1/8" below the top of the grip....My 7 iron measures 37" (with a tape measure not a yardstick) and the standard length of it is 37" per TM's website. I can see where the grip used to be on the club so I know an adjustment has been made. Thanks.

Handicap
    Bogey-ish
    Thanks
    This is what I've known to do:

Place your club flush on the floor or any level surface. Make sure the lines on the club (whether it be a wood or iron) line up parallel to the surface it is sitting on.

Measure up the back side of your club. The tape should touch the floor at the heel of the club with the golf shaft against the tape. Make sure the golf shaft is not leaning forward or backward.

Read the length 1/8 inch below the very top of the grip for an accurate measurement.

Make sure the tape is straight, without any kinks or bends. It is easier to do with a yard stick. If you need to measure over 36" then tape a ruler to it.

I'm an equal opportunity employer

Eighteen holes of match or medal play will teach you more about your foe than will 18 years of dealing with him across a desk. ~Grantland Rice

Banned
    Handicap
    Humane
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
    TM told me that they added 1/2" to my R9's and when I had midsize TV's put on I had them add another 1/2" per my recent fitting. How do you properly measure the length of a golf club? I read somewhere that you basically take a yardstick to the heel of the club to 1/8" below the top of the grip....My 7 iron measures 37" (with a tape measure not a yardstick) and the standard length of it is 37" per TM's website. I can see where the grip used to be on the club so I know an adjustment has been made. Thanks.

Sole the club on the floor as it would be soled at address and set a 4-foot rule against the shaft contacting the floor (just behind the hosel) and note the distance to the top of the grip cap.

A yardstick is really too short to measure golf clubs and a tape measure can be a bit inaccurate due to the tab at the end of the blade which will lift the "zero point" off the ground, which will shorten the reading.

A 4-foot rule is ideal, but if you don't have one, a thin, flat piece of wood or metal (like an eighth or quarter-inch thick) can be used by setting it alongside the club just as you would with a rule, and making a mark on it with a pencil at a point even with the the top of the grip. Then use a tape measure to check the distance from the end to the mark. Bear in mind that grip butts vary in thickness but they are usually 1/8 to 1/4 inch in thickness. Some people consider the club's length to be from the sole to the top of the grip, while others consider it to be to the base of the butt cap. But it really doesn't make that much difference overall because at best we're talking about a quarter of an inch difference.

There really is no such thing as "standard" length anymore, but when there were such references, there were generally two standard lengths for golf clubs: "Traditional Standard" (pre-1980's) and "Modern Standard". Respectively, a Traditional 7-iron length was 36-inches and a Modern length was a half-inch longer at 36 1/2 - inches.

But today's standard length for a 7-iron is considered to be 37-inches.

I have no idea why that's true (have people been getting taller?), but that's pretty much the baseline length these days. Also, lofts have gotten much stronger since the old "Standard" days as well. A pre-1980 7-iron would likely have had a loft within a degree on either side of 40 degrees. Today, it's not uncommon to have 7-iron lofts as low as 34 with the average falling somewhere around 36 or so.

Hope this helps!

-JP