KBS C-Taper Lite Iron Shaft - Review Thread

initial results are good off the tee, but a little low on fairway launch. I really want a higher launching hybrid. Could be me at this point, will probably keep this setup for you to test next outing

initial results are good off the tee, but a little low on fairway launch. I really want a higher launching hybrid. Could be me at this point, will probably keep this setup for you to test next outing

That's not too surprising IMO. I'm gonna put it in the Baffler XL 3h and see what happens.

That's not too surprising IMO. I'm gonna put it in the Baffler XL 3h and see what happens.

I think the bafflers natural launch help would improve the results here. Just keep an eye on that swingweight. I had to drop an inch on the steel shaft to stay D2.

Its funny how we all feel things differently, to me, having played them almost exclusively the last 3 years there isn't anything about the CT's or CTL's that is all that smooth, they are incredibly stable iron shafts, but to me smooth is more like a KBS Tour. Its interesting.

Your post goes way back, but do you still feel that way?

I'm pondering between the KBS Tour and the CTL for my MC SLDR irons, I've got a rather quick tempo. My current gamers are the KBS Tour shafts, can't decide here...I can't get to hit the CTL's here at all. I like smooth, and I like stability...

You'll lose some KBS feel with these imo. If you've got a shaft that works I wouldn't bother switching.

Agreed with hawk. These don't have that "KBS feel" to them. Yes the CTL's have more than the CT's, but stability is the name of the game here, not feel.

I stuffed one of these into a 18* UI head so I'm going to be interested to see how it works out. Looks like the maiden trip will on Saturday. I will report back with how it feels and how it works..

I have about 8 rounds now with the CTL S in the APEX Pros and I have to agree the feel is quite a bit different from the C Taper S I had SS.

It has been a struggle to find the right tempo for them until today when I just took a club less and hit it hard with great results, I could actually feel the shaft and the club head and got some real surprising distance gains and much more online.

Most of that is swing related I am sure, with me finally powering into the ball instead of trying to control it. If I were to do it again I would SS the CTL and see how that worked out, still might after a few more rounds.

Going to put one of these in the extra 6i J40 DPC I have to see if I like these over the KBS Tour 90 I have in my set of DPC's now. I have a full set of these shafts brand new sitting in the box I got off of the BST here. According to the KBS fit system online I should have the CTL in my irons, but haven't hit them before. I got a good deal on the J40's and planned on changing out the shafts to the CTL if I didn't get along with the Tour 90's.

I wouldn't mind a little bit lower ball flight which the CTL should do for me. Will report back with how I feel about them once I install the shaft and can hit the shafts head to head and see which ones I like better.

Good luck Dunn, I think the CTL and J40's could be a fantastic combo.

These iron shafts are like coming home for me, I'm just confident in them as I know that they fit me and what I do (i.e. my flaws, hahahaha!).

Seriously though, this is the weight range that I am most comfortable with and its funny to think back on because for a long time I was a heavier is better guy and played standard CT's and S300's for the better part of almost 3 years of golf. But with age comes learning more and broadening horizons, plus, THP has exposed me to a lot of things and people that have really done a great job at helping me focus more on what works best rather than what pads my ego the most.

So, these went into my Apex about 2 weeks ago and its about time, but, I did throw a curveball in my installing them. I've learned enough and seen enough to be of the mind that a shafts's flex doesn't aid/worsen a miss like many like to think it does (misses are swing issues for the vast majority of golfers), but it can help flight up and down and a touch of spin with that (not like some seem to think there though either). So, I soft-stepped my CTL S's when installing them and even installed all the way through my wedges.

The ball flight is actually higher but on a better path than what I was seeing with the XP95's and they are just immensely more comfortable for me throughout my swing. And in the wedges its a continuation for me now as I'm a big full swing wedge guy now with all but my 58 (most of the time).

Just good to have these in the bag again, it really is.

Another really....conformational...day with these again today in the Apex.

Soft stepped is just intriguing, falls into that play the lightest flex you can. I can fade them, I can draw them, lower flex does NOT cause a miss...a crappy swing does. Flight is up, spin is fine and actually really good into greens.

Most fun is the SW and 58, its taken some getting used to there, but I can see the higher flight difference from standard wedge shafts with their flatter trajectories for sure.

Another really....conformational...day with these again today in the Apex.

Soft stepped is just intriguing, falls into that play the lightest flex you can. I can fade them, I can draw them, lower flex does NOT cause a miss...a crappy swing does. Flight is up, spin is fine and actually really good into greens.

Most fun is the SW and 58, its taken some getting used to there, but I can see the higher flight difference from standard wedge shafts with their flatter trajectories for sure.

Starting to notice this as well, while i don't think someone who swings 110 MPH, would use a senior flex, i think there is more play in flex than we were brought up thinking.

starting to notice this as well, while i don't think someone who swing 110 MPH, would use a senior staff, i think there is more play in flex than we where brought up thinking.

We could blind test people, blacking out the entire shaft, same shaft in multiple flexes, and I would bet just about anything I own that the VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST majority would like a weaker flex than they currently play. Just my opinion, and no, not everyone is the same, but most overthink it a ton.

We could blind test people, blacking out the entire shaft, same shaft in multiple flexes, and I would bet just about anything I own that the VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST majority would like a weaker flex than they currently play. Just my opinion, and no, not everyone is the same, but most overthink it a ton.

no i agree with you, i have never looked at a regular flex shaft until this year, and now i am going to test out a X2 hot 4h in regular flex, because in Golf Galaxy i was killing it.

sidenote : your CTL in the APEX is a combo i would kill to have access to around here

I finally got around to putting a C-Taper Light in my DPC 6 iron, will be taking it to the range tomorrow to do some head to head test and see how I like it. Looking forward to the results.

Jman,
I also SS my CTL Stiff flex in the APEX pros and absolutely love them, it is really nice to put a good swing on them and watch the results. Even had a couple of short irons back up a few feet.

I have been doing a lot with the lessons and today saw the 1st real improvements on the course, the ball flight is a bit higher than the C Tapers but not by much. I was hitting my 5 iron 170 or so and today hit 3 right at 185-188 and dead on the pin. I account for that mostly from the swing changes, but having the right feel in the club is helping my confidence.

I am really loving the CTL Stiff soft stepped, have 3 rounds with them now and the scores keep going down. Its really nice to have confidence again in the distances and knowing it is going to drop and stop or back up a bit.

I am really loving the CTL Stiff soft stepped, have 3 rounds with them now and the scores keep going down. Its really nice to have confidence again in the distances and knowing it is going to drop and stop or back up a bit.

Got any updates Jim54?

Love these shafts, no doubt the best for me.

Just a quick feedback on these, from my Morgan Cup rounds.

If you need more launch, they are awesome, try them.

If you don't, try them, but you won't bag them.

These create a strong launch and a lot of spin, these has caused that combined with SLDR irons, which are long, for me, are 1 club shorter than Cobra ACP's with KBS Tour shafts.

I like them, just need to adjust :)

Just a quick feedback on these, from my Morgan Cup rounds.

If you need more launch, they are awesome, try them.

If you don't, try them, but you won't bag them.

These create a strong launch and a lot of spin, these has caused that combined with SLDR irons, which are long, for me, are 1 club shorter than Cobra ACP's with KBS Tour shafts.

I like them, just need to adjust :)
I thought you were swinging the equivalent of the Tour 90s?

I thought you were swinging the equivalent of the Tour 90s?

I've got these, I was under the impression, that they are the same thing as the C-Taper Lite?

kuva_1.jpg

Back