Walmart Refuses to Sell Alcohol to Man Who Was Shopping with Teen Daughter

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
Link - http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014...-shopping-with-teen-daughter/?intcmp=features

Quoted direct from story
-----------------------------------
An Iowa man says he was humiliated when he was told he couldn’t purchase beer and vodka at his local Walmart because he was shopping with his teen daughter.

Jim Davis, 57, told the Des Moines Register that earlier this month he went to the Ames, Iowa store to buy two six packs of Budweiser and some Smirnoff for his wife, along with some groceries. But when he got to the register, the cashier carded Davis’ 15-year-old daughter, not him.
Because the teen had no ID, the employee refused to sell to Davis.
Davis was given a statement by a store representative that requesting ID from everyone who appears to be under the age of 40 is a policy that has been around for a decade.
“In order to ensure that alcoholic beverages and tobacco are not sold to minors, Walmart is testing point-of-sale age checks in some locations across the country,” reads a customer service statement given to the dad. “By testing this, we hope to discover the best methods for ensuring that products are not sold illegally to minors. In addition, to comply with federal laws, stores may ask for the ID from individuals within a group other than the person making the purchase.”
But later on Monday, a Walmart supervisor told The Register that the worker was wrong to refuse to sell alcohol to a 57-year-old Iowa man.
"What happened is not consistent with the intent of our policy," said Brian Nick, director of national media relations for the chain. "The last thing you want to do is create an atmosphere where people feel they can't be in the store purchasing things with their children."
Davis said he was put off by the incident and will now shop at Target.
"If Walmart is so worried about underage drinking and smoking, why do they sell alcohol and tobacco to begin with?" Davis asked. "Are they going to do this with other potentially dangerous things they sell, like ammo?"
-----------------------------------------------

This story just interested me. Reminded me when I was in college. The rule when I was in college was, you carded everyone who put the alcoholic beverage on the checkout counter. If a minor carried the bottle and put it on the counter, no sale. Granted, all they would do is make you leave the store, literally walk back in, and do it 'correctly.' So long as only of age people carried the product and put it on the checkout counter, they would sell it.

Also, just another reason Ames is called Lames.

~Rock

I'm sure WalMart will miss his business terribly. It's a little extreme on their end, but the whole underage drinking and smoking spiel was ridiculous on his part, as well.

I'm sure WalMart will miss his business terribly. It's a little extreme on their end, but the whole underage drinking and smoking spiel was ridiculous on his part, as well.

Disagree about his rant. He brings up a valid point.

No joke, this exact thing happened to me while I was in college visiting home for Christmas.

My mom asked my brother and I to get some things at the Eau Claire, WI Wal-Mart on Christmas Eve. Something like sliced ham, some vegetables, and a bottle of wine. I was 21 or 22 at the time, but my brother was only 15 or 16. They wouldn't sell me the wine since my brother was with me. After a bit of a discussion with the manager, I checked out sans wine.

On the way out of the store, my mom called and asked me to get some napkins too, so I sent my brother out to the car, I got some napkins, and a bottle of wine. I checked out at a different register, paid, and was on my way out the door when the manager I dealt with earlier stopped me, and they basically forced me to return the wine. Ended up taking my wine purchasing business elsewhere.

Should have taken it to the press, I guess.

I understand when they do it with two young people, say 21 and 19, but this is a bit overboard.

If all of the other negatives don't drive you away, I'm shocked this minor inconvenience was the straw that broke the camels back.

So then the 15 year old can go wait in the car. Then buy it. If not....talks with the Manager or just simply don't go to that store anymore. Simple solution.

The day I go in the store with my 7 year old son to buy alcohol and this happens then that's crazy. They can suck my policy.

I understand when they do it with two young people, say 21 and 19, but this is a bit overboard.

If all of the other negatives don't drive you away, I'm shocked this minor inconvenience was the straw that broke the camels back.

I agree with you. I worked part-time in a liquor store for a couple of years and we were told to card anyone that looked close to 21 and to card anyone that was with them. We were told to use our discretion when it came to some older with someone that looked close to 21.. So yeah I had to clarify a few relationships with customers as they were coming through. But if one person was 22 or 23 - everyone in their group was carded and sometimes sale was refused. NY State would purposely send people in to see if everyone was being carded, so when potential fines and lose of license are on the line - stores will be careful.

But I think they were overboard in this case.

Walmart did a great thing here . Infact our Walmart has it right by the register , which I disagree with . Should be in a special area ( supervised) where only 21 or older may enter to purchase or see the alcohol .

The day I go in the store with my 7 year old son to buy alcohol and this happens then that's crazy. They can suck my policy.

I would never let my son see me buying alcohol . Never .. Your going to see your 7 year old see that ? Really ? To each there own , but I just couldn't not do that

I would never let my son see me buying alcohol . Never .. Your going to see your 7 year old see that ? Really ? To each there own , but I just couldn't not do that
Why? I'm not a big drinker but you're of legal age so what's the problem? You're going to hide it and one day he'll catch you and grow up thinking dad was doing something bad.

Yup but to each his/her own. I see no problem in it. My dad did the same and both he and myself turned out ok. He sees me drink beer too. He understands it's not for kids but I'm not going to live in a box or wait til he's in bed to have a drink. Everyone lives differently so whatever works for you and your fam.

Why? I'm not a big drinker but you're of legal age so what's the problem? You're going to hide it and one day he'll catch you and grow up thinking dad was doing something bad.

no, that would just break my heart. I couldn't , in fact I would never let him see me have a beer. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick in side

It's funny because if he leaves her in the car for a minute so he can go buy beer, he'd get arrested for child endangerment for leaving the kid in the car.

Walmart does what the hell they want and will continue to do so. They have such a majority of retail sales of just about anything and will tell just about any consumer or company who's good they sell to kick rocks if they don't line it.

If this stuff bothers you you should see how they treat their employee's.

That is crazy i sounds like a cashier being over zelous

Why not? Your not buying drugs. You wouldn't buy a bottle of wine and other groceries with your kid with you?

Why not? Your not buying drugs. You wouldn't buy a bottle of wine and other groceries with your kid with you?
I'm going to be an over protective parent . I can't help it , if I could buy a backpack and carry him everywhere I go I would . I know sounds crazy , but I think I have more mother instincts in me than I should :). To each his own , I just couldn't

I'm going to be an over protective parent . I can't help it , if I could buy a backpack and carry him everywhere I go I would . I know sounds crazy , but I think I have more mother instincts in me than I should :). To each his own , I just couldn't
I'm not gonna debate anything you just said, it's your kid your rules but to call someone else out on it like you did was kinda not cool either.

I'm not gonna debate anything you just said, it's your kid your rules but to call someone else out on it like you did was kinda not cool either.

Agreed, I'm fine with him making the decision not to partake in front of his child. But I'm a bit lost on the whole break his heart bit.

Don't worry, the overprotective stuff starts going away when child #2 hits about 3. It's all gone by child #3.

The laws are the same around here. The store will refuse the sale if anyone within the group is under 21. However I've never seen it happen when it was someone's child with them. I've bough stuff many times when my kids were with me. The store was way in wrong here. I'd be upset too, but wouldn't blow my top about it. I'd just leave the other stuff I was going to buy and walk out.

I work with many many charities and I just see the effects alcohol had/ has on their young lives . I'm big in Foster children / abused and disabled .. The stories are just horrific and over consumption and Mis judgment by the parents is unacceptable . You can do what you wish , and forgive my comments .. But I would've sided with Walmart a thousand percent .

It is the same here in FL. I went in to the liquor store with my mom when I was about 20 and she was there buying some wine coolers or something along those lines. Clerk wouldn't sell them to her because I was there. All we did was walk outside and I went back to the car and he checked her out just fine. Some of the rules they have are ridiculous. Also had someone at a publix not sell to me because my wife didn't have her id with her at the store. She was pushing a cart with our 2 kids and I am almost 30.

Walmart does what the hell they want and will continue to do so. They have such a majority of retail sales of just about anything and will tell just about any consumer or company who's good they sell to kick rocks if they don't line it.

If this stuff bothers you you should see how they treat their employee's.
QFT!!!

Back