When did you find your feel?

I've been able to play golf successfully for a few years now. That being said I think I found my swing in about October of last year, and it was only my irons. Between now and then I feel like I've added my hybrid/fairways and within the last couple weeks my driver swing has joined the fray, but it's in the early stages.

This may sound counterintuitive but I feel that my recent changes are the first time I've truly developed a swing that will allow me to improve and score well. Before I was always chasing a moving target, now I feel like I'm building on something every day.

Maybe a few months ago I found something that really works for me. I was always told to "backhand" the ball and that led to me spinning my shoulders out without getting my weight transferred forward which resulted in pushed shots that would fade or draw depending on my grip and resulting face angle.

I finally started focusing on the right hand and things improved dramatically. I specifically try to feel like I'm throwing the club handle down the target line sort of like a side armed throw. If I do that I'm going to get a relatively straight shot with the low point of the swing in the right spot, and with good speed/power.

I do agree somewhat with the guy that said "feel isn't real" though. To the extent that what feel/thought works for me might produce an undesirable habit for someone else. So I'd say try different things/thoughts until you find what works for you. If you can do it with an instructor watching to make sure it's not causing a compensation I would recommend that as well.

Feel is an elusive concept. I have always been able to make solid contact; for some reason it isn't hard for me to reliably hit the ball in the center of the club face. But I think feel is more than that. I can visualize in my head what I want but can't articulate it very well. In a nutshell I want more subtle control of that impact. That's going to take time, and maybe I'll never find it. I'm going to keep trying though.

It has changed as I've gone through lessons and made changes to my swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a few months ago I found something that really works for me. I was always told to "backhand" the ball and that led to me spinning my shoulders out without getting my weight transferred forward which resulted in pushed shots that would fade or draw depending on my grip and resulting face angle.

I finally started focusing on the right hand and things improved dramatically. I specifically try to feel like I'm throwing the club handle down the target line sort of like a side armed throw. If I do that I'm going to get a relatively straight shot with the low point of the swing in the right spot, and with good speed/power.

I do agree somewhat with the guy that said "feel isn't real" though. To the extent that what feel/thought works for me might produce an undesirable habit for someone else. So I'd say try different things/thoughts until you find what works for you. If you can do it with an instructor watching to make sure it's not causing a compensation I would recommend that as well.

It's funny you mention that CRW as we were working on the right hand too. I'm a hitter, not a swinger so my pro had me using hitting feels and going after the ball with my right hand hard was what I've been using. Works great at the range, but not so much on the course. I'm working on scheduling another lesson and that's one of the topics at hand.

It's funny you mention that CRW as we were working on the right hand too. I'm a hitter, not a swinger so my pro had me using hitting feels and going after the ball with my right hand hard was what I've been using. Works great at the range, but not so much on the course. I'm working on scheduling another lesson and that's one of the topics at hand.

I know for me that the right hand ensures I hit down and with the handle ahead of the head at impact. But it's important for me to think about swinging the handle and not the head otherwise I get varied results. I also have to make sure I don't move off the ball during my back swing otherwise I end up hitting behind the ball.

I'm also left handed but play right handed, so I don't know if that is why this thought works for me. I have a friend that is a scratch golfer that's a lefty playing righty and he focuses on the right hand as well.

I think I found my "feel" recently, through lessons then feedback using Swingbyte on the range. It seems to be coming together nicely as my fairways, GIR and ball-striking were all solid in my last round (winter putting killed me). I have a training aid I could let you borrow Russ as long as you promise to return it.

I think I found my "feel" recently, through lessons then feedback using Swingbyte on the range. It seems to be coming together nicely as my fairways, GIR and ball-striking were all solid in my last round (winter putting killed me). I have a training aid I could let you borrow Russ as long as you promise to return it.

I appreciate the offer, thank you. At this point I want my pro to take a look at where things are with my swing and we can chat about the different triggers we've worked on.

And you were definitely solid this weekend!!

I appreciate the offer, thank you. At this point I want my pro to take a look at where things are with my swing and we can chat about the different triggers we've worked on.

And you were definitely solid this weekend!!

Sounds good, let me know if you want to hit the range or course to practice.

Thanks, it was a good feeling round.

A couple years ago I had it for almost a full season, my ball-striking was very consistent then I suddenly had a nightmare round with a serious case of the shanks. I've been trying to find it again ever since.

I wouldn't say I've ever fully found my feel yet, key word yet! But when I can truly convince myself to stay smooth with and even tempo, that level of golf is what I'm striving for. Mentally I need to be in more control over the motions

I'm not sure feel is the right word in my case, perhaps feeling is better. It happened last year when I started lessons with my current instructor. With his instruction and guidance and my dedicated effort, I finally got the "feeling" that I actually could become a reasonably good golfer. I have no illusions that anyone will ever say "Wahoo is a great golfer", but I do think I can reach a point where some will say "Wahoo is a good golfer, he's better than most". Forgive me, if that sounds too cocky.

I can feel it...I am going to find my feel this year.

Feel/Touch...
I got it pretty quickly after someone told me to swing a pitch shot with the right weight.
Somehow that clicked in my head & it was there.
Worked for my son as well & my daughter for volleyball oddly enough.
I think it takes the hit out of the equation and the ball is just in the way of the swing like a bunker shot or nested lie wedge.

It took me about 5 years of practicing every day. Now, Im to the point where I never practice, could not pick up a club for a couple weeks and I can still show up at the course and shoot an 85.

For me I found my feel once I had confidence in my swing and things became more consistent mechanically. Being relaxed throughout the entire swing (from the moment you address the ball to finish) is key, in my opinion. The more relaxed you are, the more you're going to be able to feel the head of the club throughout your swing and the better you're going to hit the ball. Feel definitely comes and goes, though. there are some days where I have no idea what's going on and I'm just swinging.

As far as worrying about the conditions, scoring and what your partner is doing, the only advice I can give you is to not worry and just play your game. The more you worry about the things you can't control, the worse off you're going to be.

"Feel" is weird. I thought my swing felt good after a lot of practice a few years ago, and then all of the sudden I was shanking EVERY. CLUB. IN. MY. BAG! Again, my swing felt good. Took my 3 weeks to grind it out to the point where I wasn't freaking out over an iron. Now, almost two years removed from that, it's still in the back of my head, and that sucks!

Feel, is subjective.

Find it after beer #2, lose it after beer #4.

But in all seriousness, I found it this past spring. I practiced with wedges and below for 90‰ of my sessions. Spent about 75‰ of practice on and around the green with all different shots, lies, etc. Would only hit a few long shots on the range, and then would go play a round. Only 2 weeks of doing that, went from high 90s to low-mid 80s consistently. The tempo, confidence, and feel improvement of a solid short game increased every aspect. I went from having no idea how to shape long iron shots to being able to visualize it and simply make it happen.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the feel down for every shot of every hole, but I'm getting there. But at least the game makes sense to me now, and I'm not just getting lucky when I play well.

Lefty Loosey-Did the same thing last year, more like 50% on or around the practice green. Started to "feel" like I can always get it on and close from within 20 yards and starting to "feel" comfortable within 100. Managed a few rounds near the end of the season where I could even "feel" an inside out swing with the driver. That didn't translate to a second shot on the 4's and 5's yet. Hoping the feel I'm getting with winter indoor 100 swing sessions translates to grass.

This is my 2nd REAL year of playing, and just this month did I finally get comfortable with my grip, posture and ball position. This upcoming year is also the first full year with my new pre-shot routine, which has definitely helped a bunch. I've got my back swing down great, but everything after that I'm still searching for...

This is my 2nd REAL year of playing, and just this month did I finally get comfortable with my grip, posture and ball position. This upcoming year is also the first full year with my new pre-shot routine, which has definitely helped a bunch. I've got my back swing down great, but everything after that I'm still searching for...

This is year #4 for me (although year one was nothing but the range and a scramble) and I still sometimes feel like it's MONTH #4 when it comes to comfort and what triggers I'm trying in an attempt to make things mindless when it comes to executing a shot to the target.

Back