Hot iron faces and wedge gapping - ugh

aslxa

Reaction score
While waiting for my Mizuno JPX 850s to come in, I was able to hit a full demo set in my specs at our local shop in hopes of choosing some wedges to match. Unfortunately in my fitting, I was not able to hit anything toward the wedge end so we were extrapolating distance. Turns out I hit the gap wedge just about 130 on the monitor (which is 50*) and I needed a 52* to get to 118 or so as I prefer no more than a 12 yard gap in my wedges. Unfortunately I do not have enough room in the bag to accommodate a 52,56,60 set. Anyone have this same challenge?

If you're hitting them that far check the top end of the bag. I ran into the same issue and eliminated my three wood. It went 15 yards further than my hybrid but I didn't use it that often so I dropped it in favor of another wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't hit it far enough to have real gapping issues. For your SS, changing your irons makes such a difference that you may have to rethink your entire setup.

You will probably have to make some compromises:
Maybe you can afford to only go with two clubs above your 4i (Driver, 4W or 5W?).
Maybe you can use a traditional 50 degree wedge rather than the one in the set and go 54, 58

While waiting for my Mizuno JPX 850s to come in, I was able to hit a full demo set in my specs at our local shop in hopes of choosing some wedges to match. Unfortunately in my fitting, I was not able to hit anything toward the wedge end so we were extrapolating distance. Turns out I hit the gap wedge just about 130 on the monitor (which is 50*) and I needed a 52* to get to 118 or so as I prefer no more than a 12 yard gap in my wedges. Unfortunately I do not have enough room in the bag to accommodate a 52,56,60 set. Anyone have this same challenge?

If you're doing 4 degree gaps in the wedges why not go 54 and 58?

If you're hitting them that far check the top end of the bag. I ran into the same issue and eliminated my three wood. It went 15 yards further than my hybrid but I didn't use it that often so I dropped it in favor of another wedge.

That could be although I really like my 16.5 as a driver alternative; if I dump that I would go from driver to 20* hybrid. I might dump the 4 hybrid and go from the 3 hybrid to the 5 iron.

If you're doing 4 degree gaps in the wedges why not go 54 and 58?

The most I could milk out of any of the 54* wedges was around 110 - too big of gap for my liking from the GW.

That could be although I really like my 16.5 as a driver alternative; if I dump that I would go from driver to 20* hybrid. I might dump the 4 hybrid and go from the 3 hybrid to the 5 iron.

I don't know how far you hit it but my thoughts are we as amateur golfers need to focus more on the wedges and scoring irons and carry less at the top end. I'm not saying ignore the top end but how frequently are you hitting the 3 and 4 hybrid per round? I would venture to guess that you use the wedges much more often.

I would wait until you get them in and then see what actual distances you get. If you are getting that type of distance maybe you could got 53/57 or 53/58 to get the distances you need?

It doesn't have to be traditional to get the set up you want.

I'd say if you're set on keeping the 16.5 I'd get rid of the 20* and add an extra wedge

Quick question, do you have yardage that is a problem for you? Answer that and you might be able to answer your own question. Good luck!

I don't know how far you hit it but my thoughts are we as amateur golfers need to focus more on the wedges and scoring irons and carry less at the top end. I'm not saying ignore the top end but how frequently are you hitting the 3 and 4 hybrid per round? I would venture to guess that you use the wedges much more often.

I agree in general which is why I am a bit frustrated right now. Not sure I would have bought the irons had I known the gapping problems at the wedge end. Oh well, headed to Virginia for work and will have plenty of chances to play so can chart the 3 and 4 hybrid use and distances - definitely leaning toward pulling one of those.

I'm struggling with the gapping on the Z 545s. Same type of issue which is why I'm having a hard time figuring what I want to game this year. It's been all simulator time so I need to see what its like out on the course. Hopefully I can get that done this week.

I would wait until you get them in and then see what actual distances you get. If you are getting that type of distance maybe you could got 53/57 or 53/58 to get the distances you need?

It doesn't have to be traditional to get the set up you want.

I like to have at least a 60* at the top of the bag (have carried a 62 or 64 in the past) due to the elevated and very fast greens I sometimes play otherwise this would be the prudent course. Good suggestion.

Drop the 3 hybo and turn down the 4 hybo a couple degrees. Or you can go 52* 58*

I like to have at least a 60* at the top of the bag (have carried a 62 or 64 in the past) due to the elevated and very fast greens I sometimes play otherwise this would be the prudent course. Good suggestion.

That makes sense. I the absolute max gap I would want at the bottom of the bag is 15, so it makes perfect sense to get 12 or so as an ideal gap. What is your current set up?

That makes sense. I the absolute max gap I would want at the bottom of the bag is 15, so it makes perfect sense to get 12 or so as an ideal gap. What is your current set up?

Right now:

Driver - 255
16.5 fairway - 235
3 hybrid 220
4 hybrid 205
5 iron 195
6 iron 185
7 iron 175
8 iron 165
9 iron 155
pw 143
gw 130

Based on what I saw on the GC 2 today...

Right now:

Driver - 255
16.5 fairway - 235
3 hybrid 220
4 hybrid 205
5 iron 195
6 iron 185
7 iron 175
8 iron 165
9 iron 155
pw 143
gw 130

It looks like the best solution for you may be to replace the 3 & 4 hybos with a 210-215 club. You can always grip down some to get the 200#.

How about having your GW bent to 51*? Can you hit a partial GW?

Then having a 56* bent to 55*?

Then get a 60*?

Right now:

Driver - 255
16.5 fairway - 235
3 hybrid 220
4 hybrid 205
5 iron 195
6 iron 185
7 iron 175
8 iron 165
9 iron 155
pw 143
gw 130

Looks like you have space for a sand wedge, lob wedge, and a putter. I'm not sure where the problem is? It's the exact setup I have and have no gap issues.

This might sound like a jerkish question, but have you considered that clubs can be choked down on or not swung so hard? I'm betting you can take some off that gap wedge to help paper over the gap between it and your wedges. It's what I do.

It's almost the same setup I have except I have a Heavenwood instead of a 3H. Bottom end I have GW, 54, and 58. There is a little bigger gap than is optimal, but I usually just choke down on the GW a little. You could have a 52 or 54 bent to get the gapping you want and taking in to account which club bent weak or strong will give you the bounce you prefer.

It looks like the best solution for you may be to replace the 3 & 4 hybos with a 210-215 club. You can always grip down some to get the 200#.

Yes, you really don't need a 205, 220, and a 235 club. I carry a 4 iron that is my 205 club and then jump to my 4 wood which is 235 from the fairway and 245 off the tee. It's easy for me to choke down on my 4 wood and hit it 215 and who are we kidding, anything on the green from 215 yards is a great shot.

I switched to XR Pro's last year and had some gap issues with my wedges but I solved it by swapping my 56 for a 54 and bending my GW to 50.5 degrees.

My normal carry yardages:

60* - 90 yds.
54* - 110 yds
GW XR Pro - 123 yds
PW XR Pro - 137 yds

when I put the j15 driving forged in the bag, I was also gaming a 50* wedge. my set pw was 140, my 50 was barely 115. I couldn't manage that gap. so my fitter sold me a prototype j15 driving forged pitching wedge and we bent it to 50. it covers the 125-130 range perfectly, and my md3 50 is a good 115 club.

at the top of my bag, driver, 4w and 4h cover everything I need, and the 5i is about 15-20y shorter than the 4h. if I find myself in a spot where I need to cover a 200-210 gap with that kind of precision, I've made a mistake and I don't want to bag a club because I've made that kind of mistake.

I would way rather have a 20 yard gap at the top of my bag than at the bottom. Eliminate a hybrid and add a wedge.

I would way rather have a 20 yard gap at the top of my bag than at the bottom. Eliminate a hybrid and add a wedge.
What's kind of fun, I'm the opposite. Give me options off the tee and I will try to learn partial swings.

Back