Hot iron faces and wedge gapping - ugh

What's kind of fun, I'm the opposite. Give me options off the tee and I will try to learn partial swings.
There are so many solid ways to play this game. I partial swing all my wedges and low irons, but I still like to have consistent full swing gaps.

What's kind of fun, I'm the opposite. Give me options off the tee and I will try to learn partial swings.

I'm the same way, I want the right club to hit the corners of doglegs instead of coming up short or going through them. I'm not to the point where I can shape the ball around the corners and I have fun hitting those partial shots with wedges.

I agree. I think there's already a lot of distance variation inside 125-130 yards because that's also where I'm trying to control trajectory. With the longest clubs I'm just aiming for solid contact.

Thanks for all the advice and insight. I should have mentioned that when I play little, the first thing that goes is my ability to gauge and hit wedges partial distances. Even when playing/practicing a ton, I still always worked to lay up to a full wedge distance. Also because of the speed of some of the greens I play, partial wedges limit the spin too much - better for me to come in high with spin from 90 than a half wedge from 50.

What you all have convinced is that I will need to come up with a horses for courses bag where I dump a club on the long end - the course will dictate which club it will be but likely either the 3 or 4 hybrid although the 5 iron might be an option as well.

I would way rather have a 20 yard gap at the top of my bag than at the bottom. Eliminate a hybrid and add a wedge.

perfect response for the way i want to play the game, though not the only response.

Thanks for all the advice and insight. I should have mentioned that when I play little, the first thing that goes is my ability to gauge and hit wedges partial distances. Even when playing/practicing a ton, I still always worked to lay up to a full wedge distance. Also because of the speed of some of the greens I play, partial wedges limit the spin too much - better for me to come in high with spin from 90 than a half wedge from 50.

completely agree. i personally find these to be some of the more difficult swings in golf. i'd rather be a machine that makes the same type of full swing as often as possible, with the length/loft of the club dictating the distance. play to your strengths.

Back