Are Handicaps Actually Dropping?

Not sure about handicaps but it is much easier to hit a ball farther and straighter than it used to be. Not sure how you can debate otherwise.

Not sure about handicaps but it is much easier to hit a ball farther and straighter than it used to be. Not sure how you can debate otherwise.

Much easier. Thin shots with my driver that once were lucky to go 190 yards are now traveling 250+.

Trouble with most modern clubs is that they remove feel and it is by feel that we play the game.

I'm just shooting straight. I have no ideas what this means.

Much easier. Thin shots with my driver that once were lucky to go 190 yards are now traveling 250+.
Yep I remember I got a hold of a few dozen Taylor Made's new two piece ball when they were selling intergel's still and it went miles straighter and had no idea why. Looking back it makes sense.

I also believe that swinging a golf club consistently at 100 mph while accounting for lie, turf, and wind adjustments while not letting your brain get in the way is damn hard and many don't posess the God given coordination and/or brain chemistry to be a single digit index. I see lots of guys each week at my club that work very, very hard and never get much better.

I'm starting to wonder where my limit is, because I haven't gotten to single digits after 3+ seasons of trying my ass off and floating around the 13-15 range. Not gonna stop trying though, damnit!

Yep, got a couple toasters on a stick sitting in my garage and my '69 Macs have new Rifle 6.5 shafts in them.

Trouble with most modern clubs is that they remove feel and it is by feel that we play the game.

Have you improved and had your handicap lowered due to using the old equipment? Not trying to bash you, but that's the topic at hand. When I upgraded my clubs from 1980's/90's pinnacles, my scoring improved dramatically from 110+ to high 80's in a matter of less than 2 seasons. Part of it was playing more, but part of it was also the fact that my launch and trajectory improved a ridiculous amount.

Now going from something around the mid 2000's to now are you going to see a huge upgrade? Depends on the type of clubs...but I've used clubs from the 70's, 80's, and 90's and I can tell you that without a single shred of doubt the recent equipment out is leaps and bounds better. If you don't want to believe it, that's up to you, but to say it isn't just isn't true.

USGA stats show handicaps have dropped very little. Our course record was set in 1968 and the course has not changed at all.

USGA stats show handicaps have dropped very little. Our course record was set in 1968 and the course has not changed at all.

I would argue that the course has changed a ton, because if you were still playing on greens from the 60s you wouldnt be a member there, that I can promise.

And anybody that says the ball hasnt changed for the better from the wound days is just anti change because that would be the most laughable statement in this thread and there are some funny ones.

Have you improved and had your handicap lowered due to using the old equipment? Not trying to bash you, but that's the topic at hand. When I upgraded my clubs from 1980's/90's pinnacles, my scoring improved dramatically from 110+ to high 80's in a matter of less than 2 seasons. Part of it was playing more, but part of it was also the fact that my launch and trajectory improved a ridiculous amount.

Now going from something around the mid 2000's to now are you going to see a huge upgrade? Depends on the type of clubs...but I've used clubs from the 70's, 80's, and 90's and I can tell you that without a single shred of doubt the recent equipment out is leaps and bounds better. If you don't want to believe it, that's up to you, but to say it isn't just isn't true.

For me, yes I play better with the older gear. My biggest improvement in my game came when I went from cavity backs to older blades. My handicap dropped from 15 to 10 in about a year.

I could get new gear and have it set up for me, but to what end? I play with my clubs flat, heavy, and stiff. Clubs these days aren't designed to be played like that. Everything is very upright and light. Two things happen when I play gear like that - 1) I get too quick from the top and 2) I can't feel my distances. This brings the left side of the course into play, which I have been working for the last few years to remove from my game.

I still use the modern ball, but I look for soft and spinny. I still mourn the loss of the loss of the old Titleist Balata 100.

A golf buddy of mine just started keeping his. He has been playing for 10+ years but doesn't practice, so his cap is in the mid 20s. He upgrades his equipment nearly every season - putters, irons, woods...it doesn't make him any better. He doesn't seem to want to understand that it isn't his equipment, it's his massive over the top move that holds him back.

Judging by the number of topped/skulked shots I see at my local range, he's not alone.

I play better with newer more giving gear! No question. The clubs and balls ,in my opinion, have helped ametuer much more than than pro's.

There is nothing fun about spinning a balata ball 30 feet back off the green. It looks cool, but doesn't do much for your score.

The average handicap may not change much but it is certainly possible. It's fun to look back on progress. I've noticed looking back on my own that there are a few times where I have made some big improvements.

1. Joining THP. I started to take my game a lot more seriously and began educating myself. Started to spend a lot more time practicing, and not just hitting driver on the range.

2. Starting lessons and getting fit. Lessons was the more important of the 2, but I think they are both important

3. I went through a period last year where I started to fall apart. It wasn't an equipment thing as much as I needed to go back and get more instruction. I know some people just get it without any lessons ever, but I think a lot of people could benefit significantly from them.

HandicapHistory.png

So it's your belief that golf clubs help hit the ball straighter?

They do. Ball can only spin on one axis is something that gets forgotten quite a bit.

They do. Ball can only spin on one axis is something that gets forgotten quite a bit.

So if I give a slicer that plays an older club a new club with modern tech, they'll hit it straighter?

no but the balls do

Sadly club path and face issues can't be solved by modern clubs. They will help you hit it farther on mishits

So if I give a slicer that plays an older club a new club with modern tech, they'll hit it straighter?

If you were to give them a club and ball that spin less off the tee, and they hit the two the exact same way, it will spin less. And since it can only spin one direction, the answer is very possibly. If it didnt matter, fitting wouldnt matter. Shafts wouldnt matter, and frankly loft wouldnt matter (as it pertains to fitting).

Why? Because as you can see on the internet, spin is one of the most talked about aspects of this. Since we know that spin can not only assist ball flight but determine it, distance, launch, etc, we also know it can be limited and increased.

If you were to give them a club and ball that spin less off the tee, and they hit the two the exact same way, it will spin less. And since it can only spin one direction, the answer is very possibly. If it didnt matter, fitting wouldnt matter. Shafts wouldnt matter, and frankly loft wouldnt matter (as it pertains to fitting).

Why? Because as you can see on the internet, spin is one of the most talked about aspects of this. Since we know that spin can not only assist ball flight but determine it, distance, launch, etc, we also know it can be limited and increased.

I was wondering how you were going to explain this and you did. I agree in theory but if you had the same swing, same loft, low vs high spin. The ball you still alive just at a lower launch. Right?

I was wondering how you were going to explain this and you did. I agree in theory but if you had the same swing, same loft, low vs high spin. The ball you still alive just at a lower launch. Right?

Not necessarily. The ball can only spin one way at a time. So it might be lower, it might be less side movement.

Although when I say straighter I mean less curve from the initial direction. 5* out to in with the face 5* closed is going dead left no matter what ignoring gear effect.

I'm starting to wonder where my limit is, because I haven't gotten to single digits after 3+ seasons of trying my ass off and floating around the 13-15 range. Not gonna stop trying though, damnit!

Don't give up brother! When you hit your stride mid-season you shoot low 80s and make it look effortless. I will also add that the bogus (low) rating/slope of your home course is going to make your goals extremely difficult.

Yep don't give up. While I don't think anyone can be a scratch golfer I firmly believe anyone who puts in the time can be single digits. You just need to find what works for you or a teacher that teaches you in a new way and mix in a bit of course management and you can get there.

Don't give up brother! When you hit your stride mid-season you shoot low 80s and make it look effortless. I will also add that the bogus (low) rating/slope of your home course is going to make your goals extremely difficult.
Accurate on the rating. Don't worry man, I'm not giving up, just frustrating sometimes when I dump shots off the tee and then re tee and hit a perfect shot lol
Yep don't give up. While I don't think anyone can be a scratch golfer I firmly believe anyone who puts in the time can be single digits. You just need to find what works for you or a teacher that teaches you in a new way and mix in a bit of course management and you can get there.
I need the course management for sure. I'm usually pretty good but once I start sucking I sometimes get to an "F it" place and try really dumb sh** haha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

No I don't think it's dropped at all, I see people trying to buy a game all the time and all they do is hit it farther in the woods

Back