Are Handicaps Actually Dropping?

Most golfers are recreational golfer and don't keep caps.

No matter how good the equipment is if you can't use it properly it won't work for you. To get good at golf you have to work at it and many don't or do very little.

I shot a 99 today and was the best player in my group and the groups behind and infront of me. Average caps are bad

Many good reasons given here for not lowering their handicap - and they are valid.

But I'll argue that many of these reasons were just as valid 10, 20 or 30 years ago as they are today...

1. Not taking lessons
  2. Mindlessly pounding range balls
  3. Not working enough on the short game skills
  4. Believing you can buy a game with multiple equipment changes
  5. Playing from the wrong set of tees
  6. Many/most golfers don't keep a handicap

Many good reasons given here for not lowering their handicap - and they are valid.

But I'll argue that many of these reasons were just as valid 10, 20 or 30 years ago as they are today...

1. Not taking lessons
  2. Mindlessly pounding range balls
  3. Not working enough on the short game skills
  4. Believing you can buy a game with multiple equipment changes
  5. Playing from the wrong set of tees
  6. Many/most golfers don't keep a handicap

I'm confused, what exactly are you arguing with this? That's the same point that many have been stating...nothing has changed because the vast majority of people who "golf" don't put the time in to actually improve, thus HC's haven't dropped. IMO though it's easier to drop your HC now with modern equipment if you're willing and able to put the time and effort into actually improving. But most do not.

As per OP: There's just too many factors on why handicaps see very little improvement in general. Attrition can also be why it's not changing, the lower caps are getting older then finally hang them up, while the avid golfers cap goes down and new golfers fill the void at the top. Never ending cycle.

I'm confused, what exactly are you arguing with this? That's the same point that many have been stating...nothing has changed because the vast majority of people who "golf" don't put the time in to actually improve, thus HC's haven't dropped. IMO though it's easier to drop your HC now with modern equipment if you're willing and able to put the time and effort into actually improving. But most do not.
I have stated before, that there are also a lot of intangible factors that cannot be improved, no matter how much effort a golfer puts in. No matter how good the equipment gets, there are just somethings that cannot be improved with practice or fittings.

Back