Nike Vapor Fly Pro Irons - THP Review Thread

Love the looks of these irons. I got a chance to get them in hand a few weeks ago and they really looked great in person. Also love the stock shafts, those are my gamers. Can't wait for demo season to get going!

I happen to agree with you.

When you were the only guy who complimented my Vapor driver head in San Diego, I knew I liked you. :angel:

I actually like the looks of these but like others have said how are they going to hold up??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the looks of these Dean. Great initial write up
And looking forward to your thoughts. Hopefully the finish holds up on these.

I think they look great.

I probably shouldn't have opened this thread because I just got new irons & don't need a new ponder creeping in. But looking forward to the review just in case. ?

I like the black and blue combo and like everyone else I am curious how the black finish holds up over time. Looking forward to rest of review!

Wow those pics look awesome! Really loving the looks of these. Glad they went from the volt to the blue on these. Wish I had the game for these but can't wait to hear what you think of them! Cant get over how good they look.

I like the looks of these. I'll have to give them a try since I really liked the Vapor pro combo irons.

These are the first Nike irons where I've actually said "wow, those look good!" But like many others, I'm interested in seeing what they look like a month from now. Also very interested to hear your thoughts on performance, the set makeup reminds me a bit of the F6 line, no?

Photos look real good, but I liked the looks of the Vapor Pro/Pro Combo from last year more. The back is just a little too busy and transformer'ish like you said.
Ditto to all this.

Can't wait to hear how they go for you Dean. Must say I like the prior version better for aesthetics, but if the performance improves, that's great.

Also very interested in how the finish wears.

These looks slick. I love dark finishes on irons.

Really like how these look in the bag. Have 2 quick rounds and one sim round in with them and will throw some thoughts in shortly.

d78940ae29ef40a9997d153f81ddaab7.jpg

ff6ada26bc5ef8d8d93410a9ae6abe97.jpg

Not concerned about distance, but would like to know how they compare on Mis hits. Also what handicap range they are trying to address.
thanks

Really like how these look in the bag. Have 2 quick rounds and one sim round in with them and will throw some thoughts in shortly.

d78940ae29ef40a9997d153f81ddaab7.jpg

ff6ada26bc5ef8d8d93410a9ae6abe97.jpg
please stop posting pics... must resist urge to buy.... goodness I love these. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on forgiveness and feel, hoping for a happy medium and that these aren't too much club for me.

As long as you don't stray from this area, these perform well.

d3cd70ef74ea5a1b3e29c222d4ed51f5.jpg

Nice contact.

These need some volt imo.

Ok these irons got a bit of work over the weekend. Two 9 hole rounds, and one long range session. Here are a few observations.

I'm a fan of the black finish, and I wasn't sure I would be. So far, after 3 rounds, 1 range session, and 1 sim league night, the finish has held strong. I tried to purposely stress test the finish on the 8 iron yesterday, hitting over 100 shots with it, and will do the same later this week. Have not seen any chatter marks, and the PVD area that was a trouble spot in last years irons, has not been a concern yet. With the black finish, and the more compact head design, the topline looks thin. Thinner than my CF16 irons.

Sound - there is a sound difference going from the low to high irons, one is hollow and one is not. But it's not nearly as noticeable as the Speed line from last year.

Ball speed numbers were fairly good, missing towards the toe the retention was much better than missing on the inside. I'd think that the MM tech is what is causing that. Distances were consistent, I know during my 8 iron shots yesterday majority of my shots were withing a 5 yard range of each other. There were some where I was getting big numbers, but mostly I was seeing what I would consider a good 8 iron for me(in that 147-152 range). The low numbers during that test were almost all shots that were hit towards the inside of the face, and those numbers were in the mid to high 130's, so somewhere in the 10-15 yard loss range.

I'm a little surprised they went with the XP95 shaft on these, I figured we might see the DG Pro as the stock. Can't argue with what I was seeing though, the ball got up in the air nicely, with some higher spin than what I was seeing on some other recent offerings. XP95 is a pretty stable shaft and one that we see used a lot elsewhere, so nobody should be surprised by what they produce.

They fit in the Nike lineup quite well, more help than what you'd get from the Pro Combo, without going big and clunky.

Compared to CF16

a7be0a18c598e48b38abaec8fbec0996.jpg

Another interesting note, while I was at the range yesterday, two gentlemen in the booth next to me kept asking yardages to flags and then they noticed the LM sitting there. Asked what I was hitting and showed them. So I posed this question to them. You walk in to the store and are selecting 3-4 iron sets to compare. Going in you have no knowledge on any of the sets, you are going off of how they look on the wall. Would these find their way to the hitting booth with you? Both said they liked the looks, loved the black, and thought the blue was a nice accent color. However, based on looks alone, both said they would pass and choose other options to hit initially.

Ok these irons got a bit of work over the weekend. Two 9 hole rounds, and one long range session. Here are a few observations.

I'm a fan of the black finish, and I wasn't sure I would be. So far, after 3 rounds, 1 range session, and 1 sim league night, the finish has held strong. I tried to purposely stress test the finish on the 8 iron yesterday, hitting over 100 shots with it, and will do the same later this week. Have not seen any chatter marks, and the PVD area that was a trouble spot in last years irons, has not been a concern yet. With the black finish, and the more compact head design, the topline looks thin. Thinner than my CF16 irons.

Sound - there is a sound difference going from the low to high irons, one is hollow and one is not. But it's not nearly as noticeable as the Speed line from last year.

Ball speed numbers were fairly good, missing towards the toe the retention was much better than missing on the inside. I'd think that the MM tech is what is causing that. Distances were consistent, I know during my 8 iron shots yesterday majority of my shots were withing a 5 yard range of each other. There were some where I was getting big numbers, but mostly I was seeing what I would consider a good 8 iron for me(in that 147-152 range). The low numbers during that test were almost all shots that were hit towards the inside of the face, and those numbers were in the mid to high 130's, so somewhere in the 10-15 yard loss range.

I'm a little surprised they went with the XP95 shaft on these, I figured we might see the DG Pro as the stock. Can't argue with what I was seeing though, the ball got up in the air nicely, with some higher spin than what I was seeing on some other recent offerings. XP95 is a pretty stable shaft and one that we see used a lot elsewhere, so nobody should be surprised by what they produce.

They fit in the Nike lineup quite well, more help than what you'd get from the Pro Combo, without going big and clunky.

Compared to CF16

a7be0a18c598e48b38abaec8fbec0996.jpg

Great thoughts Dean. Love that topline and the black.

Why do you think the DG Pro would/should have been the shaft instead of the XP? Would love to try these with the XPs though.

Really interesting stuff Dean. Both posts.

Back