Putter Inserts - Yes or No? Why?

theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
In another post about feel in equipment by Jman I got to explaining why I didn't live urethane inserts in my putters because I felt they deaden the feel of impact in my putt.

How about you? Insert or none? Why?

Prefer no insert but don't mind a metal (copper, aluminum, etc) insert. Never been a fan of urethane inserts.

I'm not a fan of the inserts anymore. I just don't like the sound. My preference is a milled face.

Insert or none?... "Yes"

I have putters with and without inserts, and I like them all. Right now, I'd probably lean towards no insert, but that'll go back and forth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like putters.

Honestly don't really have a preference. As of late I have been strictly non insert.

Ideal preference is milled but some of the inserts available today are just fantastic

Both My gamer and back up putters are Milled but until recently they both had inserts. I could use the odyssey White hot pro any time and have no problem because the inserts now are so consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some time ago I was having trouble getting the ball to the hole. I convinced myself it was the putter's face, not me, and switched to milled. I've been playing milled ever since. My 2135 is the best of both worlds - solid metal face with a polymer type insert behind the face to dampen impact. It's awesome.

This is a tough one to answer for me because I like a variety of things. My first response is that 'No' I don't like an insert but that's a bit too vague. I love the TEI3 insert, I love the insert Callaway put in the MXM line, but I'm not a huge fan of many of the other inserts out there.

With a gun to my head I'd take a nice mid or deep milled putter every time.

Honestly it doesn't matter to me. I have some milled putters I really enjoy. Same goes for some inserts. As long as they aren't clicky sounding I'm good. You can without a doubt get a softer feel from an insert so if that is what I'm looking for at the time, I will game one no problem.

I started golfing with an insert. Then switched to milled and now I'm back to an insert. And, the new White Hot RX insert is screaming my name, really want to give the V Line Fang a role. Who knows, in a year may be back to milled. I just like putters that look and feel good, insert or not.

I just like a "softer feel". SeeMores have always felt hard to me, so until my Giant, they were out. In general, the putters I've liked most had inserts. The insert on the Odyssey Works is currently my favorite, next is the new line of Cleveland putters, but my Giant doesn't have an insert and I love the feel of the Aluminum. For a "metal" face, it seems soft. If I'm trying putters at a store, I will usually gravitate to the ones with softer inserts.

I love and appreciate both types.....looks alone I say no insert but you can't argue against modern tech of an insert.

Normally I don't care either way but now that I have the new WHRX insert.... I don't see anything beating that for a long time.

I have always been an insert guy. I just like the softer feel off the face. The new WHRx combined with the Chrome Soft is the best of both worlds to me. IMO best combo to date. However I'm sure they'll figure out a way to make it better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I prefer the feel of milled. Both of my current gamer putters have inserts. If a milled 2 ball fang or CS #7 existed I would soon be separated from some money. MXM 2 ball and #7 are both of interest to me if I find the right deal.

I've always been a milled guy, because I've always been inconsistent with inserts. I'm guess because I miss all over the face of the putter and inserts of the past being smaller--led to some of that inconsistency.

Sure. Why not. Options are fun.

Ive had putters with both and got along pretty well with them. Right now I'm not using an insert but I don't think id be hesitant to use one again.

I didn't used to like the old ones but new ones with the new materials are much better. At least now I can go either way!

Depends on the putter for me. I have some Insert putters and Milled on others and for me it really just depends on how I am feeling. As far as insert goes I love the Fusion RX from Callaway, hands down my favorite insert just feels great, none of the "dead" feeling just really easy to control. If I had to choose I would probably go will milled face as i love the click, it just really inspires confidence for me.

I don't really like the soft urethane inserts, but I really like the Fusion RX. On the milling side, I don't really care for the fine milled face but I really like the deep milling. So insert or not, I don't really care it just has to have the feel I prefer.

Back