PGA Tour Q-School

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
They were just interviewing J.P. Hayes and asked him about Disqualifying himself for using a non-conforming ball last year. What ball was he using? Also, is there no governing bodies who catch this on the course or something prior to tee off?

Just seem's kind of funny he made it to the second round and called it on himself.

The story goes that he was testing some golf balls for Titleist and they somehow got into his bag. His caddie reached in and tossed him a ball and he realized after the fact that it was different than what he was playing thus violating the "one ball" rule.

The ball was a prototype and not on the conforming list regardless.

They were just interviewing J.P. Hayes and asked him about Disqualifying himself for using a non-conforming ball last year. What ball was he using? Also, is there no governing bodies who catch this on the course or something prior to tee off?

Just seem's kind of funny he made it to the second round and called it on himself.

how long does he need to wait to requalify now?

Sounds like a likely story seeing how he called it on himself, but also sounds like a pretty "Rookie" mistake when money's on the line.

Many sports have procedures to check equipment on location, while I'm not advocating this I find it a curiosity how often the rules could be violated?

Last edited:
I don't pay attention all the time, but at the least Reno-Tahoe tournament they had a lady checking the clubs on the 1st tee box of the players and writing down the information. I didn't ask what it was for, but I assumed it was the PGA checking for illegal clubs.

I don't pay attention all the time, but at the least Reno-Tahoe tournament they had a lady checking the clubs on the 1st tee box of the players and writing down the information. I didn't ask what it was for, but I assumed it was the PGA checking for illegal clubs.

Most likely for the Darrell Survey.

Could it have been for a report on what clubs were being used? For statistical purposes?

EDIT: Carp.

Back