TMAdidas' First Ever Fitting

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
Thought I'd make a post so that those considering a fitting would be able to hear my experience of getting a fitting for the first time and use that to make their own decisions. I scheduled a driver fitting for today at 3, and will post after it about the different heads and shaft tried as well as stats and fitting process. I will attempt to make it as detailed as possible, but not sure exactly if the process will allow me to take many pics. Also, if anyone has any questions thy would like me to ask the the duty t, post them and I will. Thanks, and stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Nice, I love these threads! Can't wait to check in later today and see how it went.

Nice Casey! I'm glad they got you in today. Definitely let us know how it goes, I think you'll be impressed with the guys there!

Nice Casey! I'm glad they got you in today. Definitely let us know how it goes, I think you'll be impressed with the guys there!

Actually, I had credit with a local shop which I haven't heard much about. I decided that if this goes well, then I'll have a new driver. If not, I'll be up there in Rochester within the week.

TMAdidas' First Ever Fitting

So went to the fitting today at three. Got in, the guy spent about 5 minutes asking about my game, what I'm looking for in my driver, etc. I hit a couple with my current driver. The biggest problem with my current gamer is that I hit it a bit too low with too much spin. I'll list the stats with comments after each driver.

My current: Titleist 915D3 D+ 72
a371394ac666b492a9abb08093b2a345.jpg

His original suggestion was a Taylormade M1 with a Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff shaft. Felt alright and I love the looks. Perhaps with a different shaft this would be a winner for me, but I'll touch on that shaft thing later.
78736abc18451bf87f6f697b52293527.jpg

After that was the Callaway Great Big Bertha with the Diamana S+ 60. Couldn't keep this one on line. He threw out a lot of the bad hits, but there were a lot of snap hooks here.

b3c17595eb5663a647ecaaf764e685cc.jpg

Finally was the Callaway GBB DBD with the same Diamana S+ 60. This one was a beauty. About ten yards further than mine and just as straight. While the chart shows the the Titleist had the best dispersion, a couple bad hits were thrown out, and none of the DBD's were thrown out. I also tried out the Aldila Rogue, and it did not work out at all.
872c150bddfb45a1755e0a7f60aaa8fa.jpg

One thing that I disliked was the utter lack of shafts to try out. I really wanted to try the Oban Kiyoshi and the Graphite Design AD DI6, and they didn't have either. Most shafts were the stock offerings or barely upgraded shafts, and I really was looking forward to trying out some previous offerings. Also, this was a very "set it and forget it" fitting. He didn't try a whole lot of adjusting with lofts and weights, and didn't seem very knowledgeable to the equipment. He was helpful, and the system was very informative, but I feel like more shaft options and more attention to detail (if I'm paying for a fitting, I want you to try to squeeze every last yard out of this club lol) would have made it. I was talking to Jimmy (Six4three5), and he recommended a place about an hour away from me which he said was very professional and had plenty of shafts, and I may be going up there soon to get a better fit. I"m pretty much between the M1 and the DBD, with the DBD being the front runner, but I feel like a better fitting with more options would be beneficial to advancing.

Sounds like you got a basic big box fitting bud. But does sound like you got some good info from the launch monitor. I think the guys at the CGA would fulfill exactly what you're looking for.

Pretty basic fitting, but your numbers with the DBD are clearly much improved over your gamer. I'd continue down that path with the better fitter and you'll probably end up with a killer combo.

Back