TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Good post, James.

People find their strides in different ways on the course, some clubs are game changers for some, some are turds for others.

Let's remember what we are here for.

I'm not judging it's simple physics.

I prefer the truth to prerogative. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet it ALWAYS turns into trolling and piling on. Why? What does it accomplish? NOTHING.

We all use and enjoy thp in our own way, truth, exaggeration, whatever, it's everyone's own way.

Crap like this runs people off. Period.

I'm not judging it's simple physics.

I prefer the truth to prerogative. My bad.

Is it physically possible to gain 30 mph in SS ? If so I would gladly apologize .

In a single lesson I gained 18 mph on my driver swing and I have video and data to back it up. It came down to me not trusting my swing and mechanics enough to put a really aggressive swing on the ball. I probably could have gained more but it's where I ended up confident. So yes, it's possible to gain swing speed in bunches. Just depends on the circumstances.

In a single lesson I gained 18 mph on my driver swing and I have video and data to back it up. It came down to me not trusting my swing and mechanics enough to put a really aggressive swing on the ball. I probably could have gained more but it's where I ended up confident. So yes, it's possible to gain swing speed in bunches. Just depends on the circumstances.

That's impressive I would like to see that. Genuinely.

Started the lesson in the low 80's and my last swing was 100.3. I will see if I still have th video. I think I do. I will check when I get to my computer.

Well what can I say. I was really that bad with no clue what a golf swing looked or felt like. No prior lessons just range time and poor results. I was lucky to have reached 80 mph with that swing.

In comes a PGA professional. Grip. Stance. Swing plane. Step by step all addressed, changed and improved. But the biggest bump came from learning to lag the golf club.

Now after two years yes I have swing speeds of 100+. Easy flowing crisp cracks through the hitting area vs lunges at the ball.

FYI I am also tall and we'll built from years in the gym. At 6'3" 200 lbs little surprise I have not only the potential for this but maybe even a little bit more.

FYI I also mentioned that I swing a 46" golf club to match my frame. Long clubs equals faster speed.

Physics ....

But back to the SLDR. I have read that the smaller 430 cc head also might increase club head speed.

Does this bear trying out. 430 cc vs 460 cc same shaft, same swing?

But back to the SLDR. I have read that the smaller 430 cc head also might increase club head speed.

I am not sure how the smaller head would increase swing speed any sort of noticeable amount.

Smaller head should be a little lighter and a smaller footprint, both will slightly increase speed potential. I don't know how noticeable it'd be though.

Kool thanks saved me from trying to squeeze orange juice from a lemon.

Back to the range to work on my game.

This is not the thread for it, but here are the 2 videos. Video 1 is the before at 91.5 mph. Video 2 is 100.8 mph and this is the same session/lesson:

If remember correctly, my first set of driver swings were in the low 80's but we didnt get them on video.

Is that an about golf simulator?

I gamed the SLDR 430 (with Speeder 67 stiff shaft for anyone that cares). I sold it last week. Before explaining why I sold it, let me be clear: the SLDR is, by far, the longest driver I've ever hit. For me, it is 3 - 5 yds longer than the Bertha. 5 - 7 yds longer than the 913. 10 yds longer than the Bio Cell, G25, and even the driver I use right now, the G20. When you hit the 430 right, that thing goes. I recorded my longest drives ever with that club, including a few over 300 which is long for me! Whatever TM did to generate distance in this club, it works.

HOWEVER, when you miss with this club, it is penal. (Ha, Ha, he said "penal.") My miss is a toe-hook. When I hit a toe-hook with the SLDR, it would knuckle hard, left, and out of bounds. Typically, I would get two of these a round. There is nothing that derails a good round quicker than hitting a drive O.B.

Personally, I'd rather hit more fairways so I went to a more forgiving driver. If you don't need forgiveness in a driver, however, this thing will bomb it. I typically don't trust all the marketing hype regarding distance. I can attest for this driver, at least, the distance claims weren't a bunch of b.s.

Either way 9 and 30 is completely different but arguing in this thread is pointless. Or arguing period for that matter.

Either way 9 and 30 is completely different but arguing in this thread is pointless. Or arguing period for that matter.

Like I said, it was alot more than 9 but didnt get those on video. I remember it being in the low 80's. This is about more than the SLDR though. Swing speed is one of the many things that absolutely can be changed dramatically just by altering mechanics / getting lessons.

Does anyone know what TM has up their sleeves for next year. The next batch of Drivers will be giving the SLDR a run for its money in distance and forgiveness.

Does anyone know what TM has up their sleeves for next year. The next batch of Drivers will be giving the SLDR a run for its money in distance and forgiveness.

With the RSi irons being announced today, i would assume a driver or three would come out with it

Anyone notice (without reading 178 pages) that when hitting your current NON SLDR driver you may strike it pure but when going to the SLDR you hit it inconsistently on the face? This has happened to me. I was using foot powder on the face of my Biocell and the SLDR and i was almost 70 for 70 on the sweet spot with my Biocell, But when i hit the SLDR i was all over the face. high/low/sides. probably only hit 20 out of 70 in the sweetspot. I also noticed i had to tee it up lower than the biocell. By about 1/2" to get the SLDR to work better. Not sure if its the weighting, shaft who knows, just know i couldn't find the sweet spot on the SLDR in any consistent way.

Anyone notice (without reading 178 pages) that when hitting your current NON SLDR driver you may strike it pure but when going to the SLDR you hit it inconsistently on the face? This has happened to me. I was using foot powder on the face of my Biocell and the SLDR and i was almost 70 for 70 on the sweet spot with my Biocell, But when i hit the SLDR i was all over the face. high/low/sides. probably only hit 20 out of 70 in the sweetspot. I also noticed i had to tee it up lower than the biocell. By about 1/2" to get the SLDR to work better. Not sure if its the weighting, shaft who knows, just know i couldn't find the sweet spot on the SLDR in any consistent way.

Just the opposite. I can hit any driver equally poorly. It's likely a shaft/length/weight issue that's causing your discrepancies.

Heads up for UK THP'ers...went to my local shop today (GolfSupport in Mansfield) and this was on offer at £249 in store. Cheapest I have seen it anywhere including online. It was the proper version too, not the 'S'.

I just recently switched to straight up 20 gram weight and my consistency went up.

It is easier to draw and fade with this setting. And when I miss hit a shot I knew it was my swing and not the weight.

Otherwise you can never be completely sure which was responsible for the ball flight I was hitting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

How much is the weight by default?

20 grams on a slider. Aka SLRD

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Back