Right foot position - square or flared?

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been a bit confused about the right foot position (RH golfer). Some lines of thought say to have it slightly flared to get a better shoulder and hip turn, while others say to keep it square (or parallel) to the target. I noticed a couple places on THP where the squared foot seemed to help others. So... is there a way to determine which is best for the golfer, or maybe a reason to switch to one way or another?

In my experience with lessons, generally my pro has told me to keep it square. You somewhat limit the hip turn this way, but you also stay a little more stable and don't sway so it usually yields better control. He says if you want to get a little extra turn to try and really crush a driver ball for instance, flaring that foot can help you do that.

Everybody is different though. I have a good shoulder turn as it is so I don't need a lot of help there...I have other problems to attend to! :bulgy-eyes:

I like the right foot squared up. It limits the hips and provides a good base for a solid turn. I have no issue with a full shoulder turn so I make sure I am square. If you have issues with a full turn them flare it if you feel you need to. I'm from the camp that says turn as much as you can in the proper position. Adjusting that can bring about all types of issues.

I like square keeps me more stable and turn into it a firm right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the right foot squared up. It limits the hips and provides a good base for a solid turn. I have no issue with a full shoulder turn so I make sure I am square. If you have issues with a full turn them flare it if you feel you need to. I'm from the camp that says turn as much as you can in the proper position. Adjusting that can bring about all types of issues.

What was it, last year or so, where there was a tip for the right foot? The right foot and the club face should be parallel, facing the same direction. If a golfer can make that happen, it is very difficult to be out of alignment. That was the tip, right?

Last edited:
Straightening out my right foot was something my instructor did when I started with him. I fight a sway and overswing, and straightening out the right foot made it feel much more like I was turning into my foot, and prevented me from overswinging.

when i started down the stack and tilt route, my instructor had me flare the right foot a bit, left foot a good bit more. this was down to help the right leg straighten a bit and encourage a deeper turn. the knees were supposed to track over the feet.

as recently as this past weekend, i squared the back foot, really kept knee flex, and pointed the right knee more inside the foot line. this kept my hips from shifting too far back, and everything was remarkably centered. contact was super and i felt very stable. i know it's shortened my swing, but i saw no distance loss because contact was better and the energy transfer was more efficient.

so i would say to do your darndest to keep that right foot squared up, and the right knee flexed and pointed just a bit inside your right foot instead of tracking over that foot.

This thread really got me thinking last night in my hotel room. I took some air swings with my normal set up and could tell the slightly flared right foot was not helping me with weight distribution especially coming through the ball. Felt like I was starting with too much weight on my right side with this set up and almost lunging upwards at the ball on contact which probably helps explain my tendency to hit low, bottom groove pull shots. When I squared my right foot, it felt like my weight started more evenly distributed at set up and the transfer throughout the swing felt more fluid. We will see how it translates to hitting balls this weekend but I am certainly encouraged.

When I first started playing I was told to flare it out I still do it without a thought.

This thread really got me thinking last night in my hotel room. I took some air swings with my normal set up and could tell the slightly flared right foot was not helping me with weight distribution especially coming through the ball. Felt like I was starting with too much weight on my right side with this set up and almost lunging upwards at the ball on contact which probably helps explain my tendency to hit low, bottom groove pull shots. When I squared my right foot, it felt like my weight started more evenly distributed at set up and the transfer throughout the swing felt more fluid. We will see how it translates to hitting balls this weekend but I am certainly encouraged.

do it! the feeling that i have is when i'm turning away, do not lose any flex in that right knee. the swing feels shorter, more compact, and the move through impact produces a really solid strike. even with driver it's been very successful. i haven't taken it to the course yet, but on the range it's been an easy change to implement.

I used to keep mine squared up but as I've gotten older and need a little help with my shoulder turn I now flare it out 10-15 degrees. You have to careful when you do this to keep your weight on the inside of your right foot though. Easy to sway!!

I used to keep mine squared up but as I've gotten older and need a little help with my shoulder turn I now flare it out 10-15 degrees. You have to careful when you do this to keep your weight on the inside of your right foot though. Easy to sway!!

Which I believe is the trap that I fall into at times. I am still pretty flexible for an older guy so I don't see, or feel, that squaring my foot will cause me any restrictions with my shoulder turn. Getting used to the different feeling at set up will be the biggest adjustment for me.

I think the right foot needs to be square. That gives you a good chance to push off with your right foot and follow through. Good luck.!

My right foot is as square as possible

Squared away for me. Helps me create power, similar to a pitcher using the mound.

Back